Greatest Hits Albums

WC

Greatest Hits Albums
« on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:55 am »
If you are a fan of the band do you buy the greatest hits albums that every band seems to release?

I haven't bought one in a while from any band, since if I like the band I will typically buy all the studio albums and skip the greatest hits album.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Greatest Hits Albums
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:56 am »
If you are a fan of the band do you buy the greatest hits albums that every band seems to release?

I haven't bought one in a while from any band, since if I like the band I will typically buy all the studio albums and skip the greatest hits album.

Only if it contains new material that is worth having...not some junk that landed on the cutting room floor.

George

DavidS

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:06 am »
some artists seem to package greatest hits albums much better than others - some that I can't seem to stop playing are Jackson Browne's volume 1 and 2 solo, Greg Brown's two greatest hits, Mickey Newbury - American Trilogy (I think three of his best albums), and Susanne Vega's is very nice too.  Yeah know I am stuck in singer songwriter land with these.   

soundbitten1

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:05 pm »
Many bands I'll start out with a greatest hits album and then progress to their studio albums.

Cheerwino

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2011, 01:30 pm »
I think it's sometimes worth buying the latest hits compilation from older artists from the 50s and 60s, since the singles versions of songs were often different from the album. I'm thinking stuff like Elvis, Patsy Cline and such. Amazon reviews from hardcore fanatics will often detail some of these differences, if you're interested.

Usually these new remasters are double edged swords. You gain clarity but the mixes are often 'hot'.

And a greatest hits can be a good next step up from the one or two songs you bought from the artist. Lots of R&B is best purchased in hits collections, since much of it was more singles oriented. Sadly, the recording quality on much of that classic stuff just wasn't that great (thinking James Brown). An exception would be the Sam Cooke Portrait of a Legend, which sounds amazing, IMO.

martyo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:08 pm »
I never have. I still have a couple "greatest hits" Cd's of the Dead in the cellophane that were given to me as gifts, knowing I was a Deadhead. 8)

Kim S.

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2011, 10:11 am »
I think greatest hits albums are a great way to introduce yourself to an artist you don't know you well like enough to invest in their other material.  I've bought several which led to me exploring their other work.  I also got some (Dean Martin,Dionne Warwick come to mind) which I enjoy but know I wouldn't go any father with.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2011, 12:49 pm »
I've got several greatest hits albums from bands that I like a few songs from, but don't care for a lot of their other stuff.  The I have some greatest hits albums that opened up my taste for their other stuff and wound up buying most, if not all of their catalog.

People bash greatest hits albums.  I can see why, but I have no problem with it, so long as they're not releasing a new one every other year.

decal

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2011, 02:00 pm »
 I could listen to this front to back damn near everyday!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Steely Dan "Show Biz Kids"
Samples

HalSF

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm »
Sometimes the sound quality and/or format makes it worthwhile. Two examples that have given me extreme pleasure:

—The Steve Hoffman-remastered S&P 180-gram vinyl version of The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison

—The Chris Bellman-remastered Classic Records 200-gram vinyl version of Neil Young’s Greatest Hits

I’ve had all of this music in other forms, including all of Neil Young’s original LPs, but these are two of the most astounding high-fidelity releases I’ve ever heard.

decal

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:25 am »
Sometimes the sound quality and/or format makes it worthwhile. Two examples that have given me extreme pleasure:

—The Steve Hoffman-remastered S&P 180-gram vinyl version of The All-Time Greatest Hits of Roy Orbison

—The Chris Bellman-remastered Classic Records 200-gram vinyl version of Neil Young’s Greatest Hits

I’ve had all of this music in other forms, including all of Neil Young’s original LPs, but these are two of the most astounding high-fidelity releases I’ve ever heard.

Agreed Hal, they are both great recordings. Too bad everything can't sound this good. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:56 am »
I have many greatest hits from bands of the past. The greatest hits LP is a great way to get the bands best music and avoid the cost of buying all the individual LPs, especially if they usually had only one or two good songs anyway.

Bands like The Grass Roots, Zombies, Dave Clark 5, Steve Miller are perfect ways to enjoy the artists without all the "filler" material.

Wayner

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm »
Many bands I'll start out with a greatest hits album and then progress to their studio albums.

+1

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:02 pm »
Only if it contains new material that is worth having...not some junk that landed on the cutting room floor.

George

+1. War's Platinum Jazz is supposedly the first time a record of previously released material included some new tracks. The first Aerosmith hits package has their cover of "Come Together." And of course, there's Moterhead's No Remorse.