Burning in new caps?

50jess

Burning in new caps?
« on: 26 Oct 2011, 12:47 am »
I have Mundorf Supremes 2.2 uf and SIOs .1uf installed in my Cayin CDT17-A Cd player.  Can I burn-in the new caps just by playing the CD player without connecting it to an amp?

JohnR

Re: Burning in new caps?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:13 am »
Who knows  :dunno: Maybe connect 10 kOhm to ground to simulate a "load."

decal

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:42 am »
Why don't you just listen to music while it "burns in"? That way you get a better idea on what changes occur. Just a thought. :scratch:

50jess

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31 pm »
It's been more than 100 hours and the harshness is still very much around.  I read that Mundorfs take at least 250 hours of burn-in.  Patience, patience.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2011, 12:18 am »
The new Duelund Alexander caps I had installed in my amp took about 500 hours. The sound was very fatiguing until then. I almost gave up.

50jess

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2011, 03:35 am »
Thanks.  That's something to look forward to, at least.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2011, 05:33 am »
Let us know how it turns out. I recently burned in some ClarityCaps on my amp, but it wasn't a very painful experience. They sounded great from go.

Æ

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2011, 07:14 pm »
It's been more than 100 hours and the harshness is still very much around.  I read that Mundorfs take at least 250 hours of burn-in.  Patience, patience.

250 hours to burn them in? It probably took 250 hours for you to get used to the new sound! Psychoacoustics.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:07 pm »
The new Duelund Alexander caps I had installed in my amp took about 500 hours. The sound was very fatiguing until then. I almost gave up.

Same for the V-cap Teflons. Those suckers took forever to stop changing. Over 1000 hours. I'm curious about the Alexandras character. Rich ? neutral ? Parts Express is having a 25% off sale on the Alexandra cap.

charles
SMA

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:12 pm »
250 hours to burn them in? It probably took 250 hours for you to get used to the new sound! Psychoacoustics.

I could never get used to any inferior sound no matter how long the process. Especially the treble and upper midrange region. Do you believe the manufactures are dishonest when they recco break in ? Or the speaker manufactures who say the same.
  Or you just having some fun breaking chops ??  :lol:

charles
SMA

Æ

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2011, 06:55 pm »
  I could never get used to any inferior sound no matter how long the process. Especially the treble and upper midrange region. Do you believe the manufactures are dishonest when they recco break in ? Or the speaker manufactures who say the same.
  Or you just having some fun breaking chops ??  :lol:

charles
SMA

Speakers are stiff straight out of the box. If you were to measure Thiele/Small parameters before and after, they change over an extended period of time, even on a daily basis as the temperature changes. Eventually at some point they are broken in. However if left sitting or unused for any period of time they actually revert to being stiff again.

Are you familiar with "shot" noise? An especially well known phenomena with resistors. That is why thermal stability is so important and one of the reasons why it's so good to keep your electronics on all the time. Avoid having to warm them up again.

Now when it comes to capacitors, I read multiple suggestions at every other website. Someone says 250 hours, the next guy says 400 hours and then a third guy says 500 hours. So, I'm very, very skeptical. Also, I find it really really hard to believe that the highest quality teflon capacitors would be harsh, grainy strait out of the box. Exactly how many electrons does it take to "condition" a new capacitor anyway? So yes, I was busting chops.

Psychoacoustics; usually more psycho than acoustic. No kidding, really. If people believe it sounds bad then it does and if people believe it sounds good then it does. Preconceived ideas influence our expectations. Just like that expensive bottle of wine or liquor that always tastes better than the cheap stuff. That is until the participants in the taste test discover it was a psychology experiment and that the testers only switched the bottles/labels but not the contents.

So, if you are a vodka drinker, top shelf stuff like Grey Goose isn't the best, only more expensive! But this has nothing to do with audio or does it?
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2011, 06:06 pm by Æ »

Steve

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
Æ
Also, I find it really really hard to believe that the highest quality teflon capacitors would be harsh, grainy strait out of the box. Exactly how many electrons does it take to "condition" a new capacitor anyway?

Not taking sides, but slight corrections. First we are talking polarization and relaxation of molecular structures, not strictly "electrons".
Secondly, DA problem is an example of electrons sticking to the insulation.

Cheers.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2011, 05:10 pm »
Speakers are stiff straight out of the box. If you were to measure Thiele/Small parameters before and after, they change over an extended period of time, even on a daily basis as the temperature changes. Eventually at some point they are broken in. However if left sitting or unused for any period of time they actually revert to being stiff again.

Are you familiar with "shot" noise? An especially well known phenomena with resistors. That is why thermal stability is so important and one of the reasons why it's so good to keep your electronics on all the time. Avoid having to warm them up again.

Now when it comes to capacitors, I read multiple suggestions at every other website. Someone says 250 hours, the next guy says 400 hours and then a third guy says 500 hours. So, I'm very, very skeptical. Also, I find it really really hard to believe that the highest quality teflon capacitors would be harsh, grainy strait out of the box. Exactly how many electrons does it take to "condition" a new capacitor anyway? So yes, I was busting chops.

Psychoacoustics; usually more psycho than acoustic. No kidding, really. If people believe it sounds bad then it does and if people believe it sounds good then it does. Preconceived ideas influence our expectations. Just like that expensive bottle of wine or liquor that always tastes better than the cheap stuff. That is until the participants in the taste test discover it was a psychology experiment and that the testers only switched the bottles but not the contents.

So, if you are a vodka drinker, top shelf stuff like Grey Goose isn't the best, only more expensive! But this has nothing to do with audio or does it?

When I had a retrofit done with some Teflons, the sound was definitely changing pretty much daily.  Let the system go, don't listen for a couple days, then listen - sounds not bad - 2 days later, sounds awful, 2 days later, a bit better again. It was every bit of 400 hours before they settled in.  Equipment was on constantly and playing music constantly during that time.  A definite Jekyll and Hyde act going on.

Bryan

peranders

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm »
I read that Mundorfs take at least 250 hours of burn-in.
... and when you have investigated the source of this information you have come to the conclusion that it's true?

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2012, 04:32 am »
 I am now burning in Jupiter Beeswax bypassed with Mundorf Silver in Oil on my speakers. The first hour was a bit harsh, but they are mellowing quickly, have maybe under 10 hours on them. 3 - 4 hundred to go. But they are already gorgeous.

Can't believe I have spent over $450 just for capacitors in my system already, amp included.

I'm in the club!

50jess

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:54 pm »
What speakers are you using?  How is the sound after several more hours?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2012, 02:32 pm »
On the subject of Teflon®.  DuPont just ran a full page ad in a A/V installers magazine about identity theft of the name Teflon®. 

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm »
Lol. Me?

I'm burning Gunn'd maggies, there's a thread on planar circle. They have been the most rollercoastery of the three break in's I've experienced so far. But it's getting better and better. I love them. Extremely pristine, extremely clear without being harsh or hot.