How about this for an exotic system . .

jimdgoulding

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How about this for an exotic system . .
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm »
I not a fan of horns, but I like that room, very exquisite place. :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2011, 05:36 pm »
Those came up a while back...

I'd term them wave guides, appear too shallow to provide horn loading.  (I'm not a horn fan either.) 

Lots of top drawer names in the system.  Field coils are kewl.

Nice to have that kind of space (no treatments needed).

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2011, 06:19 pm »
I'd like to hear it as is, but I'd really like to hear it with dipole subs as a comparison.

I think bass quality is more important than generally realized at this stage in the development of "hi-fi".

I wonder why none of the subwoofer manufacturers offer cardioid subs as a choice. The German studio monitor maker Geithain offer this in their top models. Makes sense for the notion of constant directivity to include the bass range, and may be the fundamental reason why I like the sound of dipole subs so much.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2011, 11:34 am »
Russell, agree 100% with your statement for the need for deep bass (at almost any truly audiophile level, especially at this level).

shooter

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2011, 07:17 pm »
New Fostex T500a mkII tweeters in the system, not quiet dial in yet.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:21 pm »
Hi shooter, what a spectacular system.

Can you tell us more?  For example, was it hard to dial in the field coil voltage?  Do you feel it has enough bass?  How thin and stiff is the paper cone compared to say, Lowther, AER or Feastrex (which as I'm sure you know have micro-thin but stiff cones)?

I also have enormous single-driver horns (not quite that large though!) and I'm finding that placement of the tweeter is a challenge (if trying to time-align it physically) because the tweeter has to sit somewhere "outside" the frame of the primary horn).

Really beautiful stuff (and nice room too!)