Impressions of the Modwright LS100?

schw06

Impressions of the Modwright LS100?
« on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:00 am »
With as much acclaim and as many glowing reviews of the Modwright 9.0 preamp, I am curious to hear opinions of the LS compared to it's predecessor and other preamps in it's price range. I have read the 6moons review but wanted to hear other opinions. Are there any other reviews?
David

rlmacklin

Re: Impressions of the Modwright LS100?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:37 am »
I have had a ModWright SWL 9.0 Signature Edition for a few years (running with 1957 metal base Philips Miniwatt GZ34 rectifier and two Bendix 6900 signal tubes).
I have had my ModWright LS100 since latter part of July and running with another 1957 metal base Philips Miniwatt GZ34 rectifier and two Sophia Electric 6SN7 signal tubes (their sonics matched my preference over Psvane CV-181T).

The LS100 is more resolving and has deeper, tighter bass to my ears.
The SWL 9.0 Signature is very close to totally "neutral," while the LS100 is a tad warmer and adds more density or "meat on the bones."

I suggest you post your question in the Modwright Circle where the LS100 owners are more likely to see it ...

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:39 am »
Agree in general with what rlmacklin is saying. I've had the LS100 for most of the year and I love the added warmth and liquidity it injects into the music. The LS100 adds some 'richness' to the sound that I feel makes it somehow sound more 'natural'.

It's a new way of listening for me. I was using a Parasound JC2 just prior to this. This was a great preamp in it's own right - exceptionally quiet and detailed. But I dont think I could go back at this point. This is just my personal preference I guess.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:54 am »

Agree in general with what rlmacklin is saying. I've had the LS100 for most of the year and I love the added warmth and liquidity it injects into the music. The LS100 adds some 'richness' to the sound that I feel makes it somehow sound more 'natural'.

It's a new way of listening for me. I was using a Parasound JC2 just prior to this. This was a great preamp in it's own right - exceptionally quiet and detailed. But I dont think I could go back at this point. This is just my personal preference I guess.

I hope you don't mind a friend and dealer of Modwright pitching in?
I'm a big fan of this pre ( and all Dan's work), first of all,  I've noticed that this unit  responds dramatically to different tubes and any reviews based on stock tubes can be discounted, with the Sophia's it is a very detailed, musical and actually pretty neutral pre. 
the 'warmth' to me is not the "covering the tone with tubes" warmth but instead comes from a more complete passing through of the source. more extension, detail, nuance etc. 
btw I also use  JC2 as one my solid state reference pre and agree that I prefer to listen to the LS100, I just find there is more music there. not that I mind the JC2   :)

thanks,
lou

rlmacklin

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:51 pm »
I certainly do not disagree with what nnck and Lou (Daedalus Audio) have said.

The sonics of both my SWL9.0 Signature and LS100  - using the upgraded tubes as mentioned in my earlier post in this thread - match close enough that I am using the LS100 for FL/FR and using the SWL9.0 Signature for center channel duty.
No noticeable timbral differences to my ears - just more detail, nuance, "richness"
from the LS100.

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2011, 08:10 pm »
Not only is the LS-100 a great pre-amp, it is also a top rate headphone amp.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2011, 11:23 pm »
I hope you don't mind a friend and dealer of Modwright pitching in?
I'm a big fan of this pre ( and all Dan's work), first of all,  I've noticed that this unit  responds dramatically to different tubes and any reviews based on stock tubes can be discounted, with the Sophia's it is a very detailed, musical and actually pretty neutral pre. 
the 'warmth' to me is not the "covering the tone with tubes" warmth but instead comes from a more complete passing through of the source. more extension, detail, nuance etc. 
btw I also use  JC2 as one my solid state reference pre and agree that I prefer to listen to the LS100, I just find there is more music there. not that I mind the JC2   :)

thanks,
lou

Agreed once again. I may not be the most experienced at describing or reviewing audio equipment. I think when I write about 'warmth', 'liquidity', or even 'richness' to the sound, this might be the same thing that some people just call 'musical' or 'natural'.

However, I definitely think that what I like best about the LS100 has to do with tone, more than anything else. Another word being used a lot here is 'nuance', and that would be another thing to keep in mind when thinking about the sound of the LS100. While some ultra-detailed equipment may sometimes have a tendency to sound sterile or bright (and fatiguing), the LS100 most certainly does not! It seems to have the same level of detail while allowing these nuances to meld in and make for a very natural and musical experience.

Whether this end result is something that is 'injected' into the sound by the LS100, or if the LS100 is simply allowing what was there in the signal all along to come through so beautifully is not that important to me, personally. I have tended to think that the LS100 adds something to the sound, only because the nuances of this added tone can be altered ever so slightly by changing out various tubes. But perhaps my logic is flawed. I only know that I love the way it sounds.

For what it's worth, I am currently using a pair of 50's era Sylvania chrome top 6SN7 tubes. In the future, I plan to try out some of the new production Sophia Electric or Shuguang Black Treasure tubes that are so often talked about. I loved the sound from the LS100 so much that I gave up my other solid state amp with about twice the power handling, and got a matching Modwright KWA100SE amp for what i feel is better overall symbiosis.

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2011, 12:37 am by nnck »