Australian Audio & AV Show & Maggies

BruceSB

Australian Audio & AV Show & Maggies
« on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:14 am »
Went to the Australian Audio & AV Show in Melbourne on Saturday with a fellow HiFi nut and his son.
Great show with two international HiFi "personalities", Russell from Bryston & Dan from Dan D'agostino (along with his brand new preamp).
The sound highlights were the Maggies.
A medium sized Maggie in one room and a large one in another (not sure about the exact model numbers!).
There were no electrostatics but to these ears those Maggies (especially the big ones) were not just head and shoulders better than everything else, make that knees, torso, head & shoulders!
Hey, they sounded way better than the $130,000 Cabasse!
It seems to me that no matter how hard they try box speakers just can't design/engineer out the sound of the box!
Three cheers for planars & and Maggies!
I still maybe an electrostatic man but boy those Maggies are good!
Anyone from here get along?

Davey

Re: Australian Audio & AV Show & Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2011, 03:47 pm »
Magnepan's are one of those products that make the "high-end" audio industry look ridiculous, aren't they?  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

josh358

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »
Heh, yes. And the funny thing is, just about everyone can hear it, audiophile or not. Unlike those pricey audiophile systems that have to be explained (don't you hear my solid wood quantum interconnects, and the absence of eigenshmertz in the veeblefetzer range?).

gpkoo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:13 am »
I was there as well.

One room had the 1.7s with Sanders amp and preamp driven by a Oppo 95 with Zen Sati cables.

The other had 3.7s with Technical Brain amp and preamp driven by a modded Marantz CD player and Merrill Williams turntable and Sutherland Phono, once again with Zen Sati cables.

The cables were more expensive than the first system!

Great sound though!