New To Hi-Rez and Need Some Guidance As To How Best To Approach it

Slapshot

Hello, and as the title says, I'm just wanting to get into Hi-Rez music. I'm a long time music lover, and audiophile, and I've had the opportunity to hear how good the sound quality is with High resolution recordings, and want to find a way to incorporate them into my audio system.

My primary sources are the Olive 4HD, with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

My initial problem seems to be what do I buy in terms of equipment to support HiRez recordings. I am open to the best bang for the buck, even the Squeezebox Touch might be an option, although I did have a Transport previously and really disliked how it integrated with my pc and resulting issues. At a much higher price, I might also consider the Bryston BDP-1, however, Sterephile's review of that said it had sonic issues when using thumb drives, which greatly concerns me. Other than that, I am certainly open to any recommendations.

My second issue is where, and what is available in HiRez music. I am not much interested in classical (with certain exceptions) uknown jazz groups or other commonly found things. I would want access to current (and past) rock, singer songwriter, folk, celtic and acoustic music. And as much as I would love to own the whole Rolling Stones high res recordings, I simply cannot afford to pay $30-45.00 per recording!

Thanks for any help you can offer, I'm a bit lost as how best to approach this. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JC

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.

My primary sources are the Olive 4HD, with the Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

My initial problem seems to be what do I buy in terms of equipment to support HiRez recordings.

I am slightly confused.  I googled the Olive 4D to make sure I was up to speed and it confirmed what i thought, that it supports 24/192.  Why do you need some new equipment?

The genres of music you mention are becoming more and more available on HDTracks, and through the ability to rip music off of DVD-Audio and now SACD (PS3 hack).   (Note:  see the sticky threads in this Circle about ripping hirez).  But yes, hirez music costs more than redbook, and it requires some searching to make sure it is indeed better sounding than its redbook counterpart..  In many cases we are dealing with just plain marketing; the very same issues that are plaguing the redbook world.....the labels wanting to resell us with plethora of redbook remasters out there....the hirez "remasters" are sometimes no better, and in some cases worse!    :o

I'd, for now, as you get going, stay with lower hirez (24/88 and 24/96) because of two factors: 1) it's less expensive for downloading, and 2) in many cases its all you need as far as sample rates, since many classic rock remasters above that are negligibly more resolving (and some may argue are upsampled to get there).

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
If I were starting over I'd get:
 1) Squeezebox Touch 1st- I started sideways and tried to fill in the middle bits. Right now I'm using my laptop to host Squeezebox Server and all my hi-rez files are on a couple separate USB hardrives and using the SB's internal DAC and it sounds fine to me although shortly I'll be taking delivery on Schiit Bifrost DAC where I have 3 options for playback-Toslink, Coax, USB
 2) Vortexbox Appliance 2TB- they run SB server so my laptop would be free, I can back it up to the USB drives, it will rip, bag and tag your CD's or what have you...they are like $498 + SB Touch $299 = $800ish...you got extra cash for files man!!!!
 So make it easy and keep it simple so its fun and not a chore.....add an external DAC when your ready. I'm on a tight budget and already over it and still spending...LOL so with DAC $1300.00 for awesome playback, storage, cataloging, etc... Keep it fun!! :rotflmao:

srb

I agree with ted_b.  Both your Olive 4D transport and Bryston BDA-1 DAC are 24/192 capable, so why change out equipment?  Download some 24/88.2 or 24/96K selections from HDTracks as Ted suggested and see what you think.  I think you're good to go for now.

So make it easy and keep it simple so its fun and not a chore.....add an external DAC when your ready.

JC (Slapshot) already has a Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Sorry...I read it but didn't really read it...thanks!!

Slapshot

I am slightly confused.  I googled the Olive 4D to make sure I was up to speed and it confirmed what i thought, that it supports 24/192.  Why do you need some new equipment?

Ted, thanks for the information. I know the Olive 4HD supports 24/192, but there are limited ways to get the music onto it. It will not accept a thumb drive, and is mainly geared for burning cds onto its hard drive? Can I burn the downloads to cd and get them on the Olive that way? Sorry for sounding inept but this is a whole new game for me.

JC

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
There is a thread on AVS Forum specifically detailing how to transfer files http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091695.

From memory, move downloads from computer to an external hard drive and attach it to the Olive and then upload to the Olives HD from there.

srb

If you have a home network, you can directly import folders/files from a PC or MAC (wired Ethernet connection recommended).

http://downloads.olive.us/userguides/O3HD_user_guide.pdf
Page 17

Steve

Slapshot

Thanks to everyone for the help and for clarifying things for me. It still seems as though my options for content, though, rest in spending $25.00 or more for albums on HD Tracks. Correct?

JC

jjc1

Thanks to everyone for the help and for clarifying things for me. It still seems as though my options for content, though, rest in spending $25.00 or more for albums on HD Tracks. Correct?

JC
  JC,  first off HDTracks Hi rez downloads mostly cost $17.98 for full Hi Rez albums, some 96/24 are only around $14, and 176/24 and 192/24 are around $30.  Secondly, I don't remember reading in the review that flash drives are a problem with the BDP1 but I can assure you that I have never experienced any problems with flash drives or HDD drives with My BDP1 and I have been using it for about 6 months. The BDP1 is a great product and is one of the easiest ways to access computer music. I suggest you read some of the threads on the Bryston BDP1 Childboard for more info on the BDP1 which is frequented mainly by BDP1 owners.
  Good luck in yor pursuit.

GarfL

JC

There are a variety of hi-res sources other than HD Tracks. You need to be careful what you buy from them though, they need to start by releasing sourcing information, and whether it is compressed.

You can rip audio from blu-ray (free programs) and DVD-A ($25 buck for a good program). This will give you up to 24/96 hi res material, though  it is a labor of love. I had a lot of fun ripping my blurays of Dark Side of the Moon, and learned a lot in the process.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
There are a variety of hi-res sources other than HD Tracks. You need to be careful what you buy from them though, they need to start by releasing sourcing information, and whether it is compressed.

You can rip audio from blu-ray (free programs) and DVD-A ($25 buck for a good program). This will give you up to 24/96 hi res material, though  it is a labor of love. I had a lot of fun ripping my blurays of Dark Side of the Moon, and learned a lot in the process.

Garfl,
I stated this above.  However, you are not limited to 24/96.  My DVD-A library consists of many 24/192 stereo tracks, and I've ripped all of them.  Same with BluRay (24/192 I mean).