Anyone in the Washington DC area with Magnepan MMG?

KKaiser

Anyone in the Washington DC area with Magnepan MMG?
« on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm »
Would you care to demo them for a potential buyer?  Yes I am aware of the 60 day home trial but I doubt I can break them in, in 60 days and I am not the best about re-boxing and returning things.  I would bring the micro-brews.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Anyone in the Washington DC area with Magnepan MMG?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:58 am »
The Listening Room up in Towson, MD should have some 12s which are very similar.
They're a great no-pressure dealer.

KKaiser

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:35 pm »
After my experiences with Soundworks in Kensington, MD, I "try" to avoid audio retailers at all costs.  I will, however, go listen if I don't find anyone in the area that owns the MMGs.

Thanks.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:43 pm »
These guys are really good - they set you up, show you how to work the controls, ask if you have any questions and then leave the room and shut the door.
When you're done they ask you what you think, see if you want to buy and you take it from there.
Free food would be good but otherwise, perfect.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:22 pm »
Gifted Listener in Centreville, VA probably has them set-up in their store (listening in a store is always free).  I helped a friend of mine get MMGs (lightly used) many years back.  His are packed for now as he is moving the beginning of the  third week of November though.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2011, 06:52 am »
After my experiences with Soundworks in Kensington, MD, I "try" to avoid audio retailers at all costs.  I will, however, go listen if I don't find anyone in the area that owns the MMGs.

Thanks.
soundworks was not a dealer, they were scum!  the listening room and gla, both mentioned, are cool.  i remember listening to a pair of thiel 3.5's when they first came out, in the basement of the guy who now runs the listening room in a regular shop.  the guy is as pleasant as can be...

doug s.

DTB300

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2011, 01:17 pm »
Soundworks was okay until the day Rick became heavily involved and then all the good salespeople (Peter, Jay, etc.) left.  Then it was scum....(Scotty, Rick, etc.)

Gifted was just okay for me.  Had a much better experience with a younger sales person there than I did with the older gentleman (owner?).

Heard good things from people (many people) regarding the The Listening Room

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:09 pm »
soundworks was not a dealer, they were scum!  the listening room and gla, both mentioned, are cool.  i remember listening to a pair of thiel 3.5's when they first came out, in the basement of the guy who now runs the listening room in a regular shop.  the guy is as pleasant as can be...

doug s.

I have only been in there (Soundworks) a few times (and very brief visits when I was in the neighborhood).  I have heard many stories, and from what I have heard, I would have to concur.  I certainly heard enough from credible sources that I would not do business with them.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2011, 04:26 pm »
Soundworks was okay until the day Rick became heavily involved and then all the good salespeople (Peter, Jay, etc.) left.  Then it was scum....(Scotty, Rick, etc.)

Gifted was just okay for me.  Had a much better experience with a younger sales person there than I did with the older gentleman (owner?).

Heard good things from people (many people) regarding the The Listening Room

My friend Tim used to work there and that's who you were probably talking about.  He worked part time on Thursday nights and Saturday.  He then relocated to the Richmond area, came back for a bit and recently moved (like a bit over a month ago) to Atlanta.  Tom, the owner, is good to customers.  But he is a character and has his own way about him (takes getting used to).  I have not been in there much over the last few years.  Tom and I love to give each other crap (all in fun).  Tom's wife if she is there usually gets a kick out of it.  I moved to this area in the latter part of 1996 and started going in there to plan my initial system to go into my current house (and I moved into it in August 1997).  Listening is of course free.  I would not say I would not buy anything from a dealer but over the past 4-5 years it has been very little.  With the economy and limited choices what is available locally, I have looked elsewhere in most cases.  If I am to be a guinea pig for something that is not on a dealer's floor for me to hear, I prefer to be a guinea pig as less than dealer prices.  If it doesn't work out, I am out of pocket a bit less.

josh358

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2011, 07:56 pm »
Just wanted to add that while the MMG's may not be completely broken in within the return period, they'll easily be broken in enough to give you a good feel for their strengths and weaknesses. That was my experience, anyway. After that, you might gain a bit of midrange clarity and bass extension, but it will be relatively subtle. Oh and I should probably also say that if you add a sub (which most people end up doing) you can raise them up off the floor and make them vertical for a spectacular improvement in imaging. You can try it with some books if you want to get a feel for how it sounds.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2011, 08:05 pm »
I will chime in to agree that Don Hoteson at the Listening Room and Tom at Gifted Listener have always been nice and helpful when I have visited their stores even though I have only bought one component from each of them over the years.

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm »
I live in Hampton, VA and bought my 1.7's from Don at the Listening Room. The entire process was smooth. I'll get my 3.7's from here when I decide to update.

I found that many of the other dealers were not helpful.