Best subwoofer for 2ch(DIY)

mclsound

Best subwoofer for 2ch(DIY)
« on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:51 pm »
I was about to purchase some Aura NS-18 when the seller sold on me while I was at work(Prick).
I was looking at TC Sounds but they are 1.5 to 2 times the price.They would be put into a 2ch audiophile application(not worried about HT as they will naturally work).
Any suggestions and experiences.I would use Krell power and build my own cabinets(3-6ft cubed/driver)
thanks

kip_

Re: Best subwoofer for 2ch(DIY)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:57 pm »
Something servo powered, either a Rythmik like this:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html

or a GR Research 12" Servo Woofer:

http://gr-research.com/sw-12-04.aspx

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:00 am »
I was about to purchase some Aura NS-18 when the seller sold on me while I was at work(Prick).
I was looking at TC Sounds but they are 1.5 to 2 times the price.They would be put into a 2ch audiophile application(not worried about HT as they will naturally work).
Any suggestions and experiences.I would use Krell power and build my own cabinets(3-6ft cubed/driver)
thanks

If you are looking at that territory, I would go look at 2-3 designs:

1) TC Sounds 18 inch LMS drivers and build a dual opposed unit. Check out Warpdrive's build at AVS Forum right here.
2) Rythmik F25 (I'm sure Brian would sell you a kit with drivers and the plate amp/servo control).

Or, if you don't want to DIY, then just buy a Seaton Submersive HP. There is currently a group buy right here if you are into it, and live in Canada. It's a great sub regardless and one of my top choices for a ULF sub other than the TC Sounds dual opposed 18 inch ($$$). The Rythmik is also a fine choice and the cheapest of the three, however if really over the top crazy ass SPL is important to you, it will disappoint. But I'm quite sure it's musical.

Best,
Anand.

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:49 am »
If you are looking at that territory, I would go look at 2-3 designs:

1) TC Sounds 18 inch LMS drivers and build a dual opposed unit. Check out Warpdrive's build at AVS Forum right here.
2) Rythmik F25 (I'm sure Brian would sell you a kit with drivers and the plate amp/servo control).

Or, if you don't want to DIY, then just buy a Seaton Submersive HP. There is currently a group buy right here if you are into it, and live in Canada. It's a great sub regardless and one of my top choices for a ULF sub other than the TC Sounds dual opposed 18 inch ($$$). The Rythmik is also a fine choice and the cheapest of the three, however if really over the top crazy ass SPL is important to you, it will disappoint. But I'm quite sure it's musical.

Best,
Anand.

I would stay away from the Submersive for music.  I couldn't get mine to sound good at all.  I'm also not a fan of dual opposed designs.  I realize that the drivers are supposed to be close enough to not affect response, but I've been EQ'ing subs for years and the Submersive was a nightmare.  My friend (Warpdrv) got rid of his Submersive as well for the same reasons. 

I think the servo subs are very good, but after hearing Warpdrv's single 18" LMS he replaced his Submersive with, I had to have one...or two as it turned out. 

To my ears, the 18" LMS's in 24" cubes sound absolutely flawless.  I recently had another friend over and he used the word "breathtaking" to describe the bass I have.  I agree.  My subs are absolutely transparent and blend flawlessly with my mains.  They were VERY easy to EQ as well (and not because I have dual subs...the dual subs were more difficult to EQ than the single I started with).  They are worth every penny I spent on them. 

Warpdrv's main rig is not for musical.  It's designed to suck the air out of your lungs and scare the crap out of you.  It does both VERY well. :o

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2011, 02:10 am »
I would stay away from the Submersive for music.  I couldn't get mine to sound good at all.  I'm also not a fan of dual opposed designs.  I realize that the drivers are supposed to be close enough to not affect response, but I've been EQ'ing subs for years and the Submersive was a nightmare.  My friend (Warpdrv) got rid of his Submersive as well for the same reasons. 

I think the servo subs are very good, but after hearing Warpdrv's single 18" LMS he replaced his Submersive with, I had to have one...or two as it turned out. 

To my ears, the 18" LMS's in 24" cubes sound absolutely flawless.  I recently had another friend over and he used the word "breathtaking" to describe the bass I have.  I agree.  My subs are absolutely transparent and blend flawlessly with my mains.  They were VERY easy to EQ as well (and not because I have dual subs...the dual subs were more difficult to EQ than the single I started with).  They are worth every penny I spent on them. 

Warpdrv's main rig is not for musical.  It's designed to suck the air out of your lungs and scare the crap out of you.  It does both VERY well. :o

Fantastic! Thanks for the real life input, at least you've heard both designs in systems you are familiar with, which is rare, given the expense. The rest of us have to vicariously imagine the sound quality through the net  :lol:

So a single 18 inch LMS in a 24 inch cube sounds great? At least it's cheaper than a dual opposed design. When you say 'dual subs', do you mean two subs, each with a single 18 inch LMS or two dual opposed 18 inch LMS subs?

Thanks,
Anand.

P.S. Funky Waves builds some TERRIFYING subs using the TC Sounds LMS drivers, just wow.

P.P.S. And here is a listing of several popular subs and sub combinations that have been measured.

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2011, 05:23 am »
Fantastic! Thanks for the real life input, at least you've heard both designs in systems you are familiar with, which is rare, given the expense. The rest of us have to vicariously imagine the sound quality through the net  :lol:

So a single 18 inch LMS in a 24 inch cube sounds great? At least it's cheaper than a dual opposed design. When you say 'dual subs', do you mean two subs, each with a single 18 inch LMS or two dual opposed 18 inch LMS subs?

Thanks,
Anand.

P.S. Funky Waves builds some TERRIFYING subs using the TC Sounds LMS drivers, just wow.

P.P.S. And here is a listing of several popular subs and sub combinations that have been measured.

I guess I am lucky to have owned these subs.  I just wish I did have to buy them to try them, then sell them at a loss.  When I owned the Submersive HP, there were many times I wished I had just kept my SVS PB13-Ultra.  That of course was until I heard my 18" LMS's. 

I had both subs (1 driver per enclosure) from day one, but I didn't have an amp for each sub.  So to start, I used just a single sub.  From the moment it started playing, the sound was amazing.  Clearly better than anything I've owned or heard.  Frankly, the second one is just more.  It didn't really help smooth the in-room frequency response, and it didn't really improve the sound in any way.  The output from one of these things is pretty impressive, two is just "better."  I have pics in my gallery and the pic that is under system if you want to see.  The purchase of the LMS's was one of the best audio purchases I ever made.  I do sometimes wish they weren't so large, but they are worth the trouble.

I would like to say that for me, and a few others, the Submersive HP has shocking room flexing bass.  What it lacks is upper bass impact and definition.  When we compared Warpdrv's Funky Waves LMS to his Submersive HP, the Submersive sounded bloated and unrefined.  It's hard to believe how delicately the 18" LMS driver dances so cleanly over every note, then pounds you hard with massive waves of energy and impact when needed. 

Please understand that the Submersive will embarrass almost any sub out there, it just can't compete with the LMS's (my opinion of course). 

Warpdrv's Funky Waves box is nothing short of incredible.  The craftsmanship is second to none, and the shape of the box is beautiful.  Maybe one day I'll be able to afford them to replace my square boxes...

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2011, 08:25 pm »
I guess I am lucky to have owned these subs.  I just wish I did have to buy them to try them, then sell them at a loss.  When I owned the Submersive HP, there were many times I wished I had just kept my SVS PB13-Ultra.  That of course was until I heard my 18" LMS's. 

I had both subs (1 driver per enclosure) from day one, but I didn't have an amp for each sub.  So to start, I used just a single sub.  From the moment it started playing, the sound was amazing.  Clearly better than anything I've owned or heard.  Frankly, the second one is just more.  It didn't really help smooth the in-room frequency response, and it didn't really improve the sound in any way.  The output from one of these things is pretty impressive, two is just "better."  I have pics in my gallery and the pic that is under system if you want to see.  The purchase of the LMS's was one of the best audio purchases I ever made.  I do sometimes wish they weren't so large, but they are worth the trouble.

I would like to say that for me, and a few others, the Submersive HP has shocking room flexing bass.  What it lacks is upper bass impact and definition.  When we compared Warpdrv's Funky Waves LMS to his Submersive HP, the Submersive sounded bloated and unrefined.  It's hard to believe how delicately the 18" LMS driver dances so cleanly over every note, then pounds you hard with massive waves of energy and impact when needed. 

Please understand that the Submersive will embarrass almost any sub out there, it just can't compete with the LMS's (my opinion of course). 

Warpdrv's Funky Waves box is nothing short of incredible.  The craftsmanship is second to none, and the shape of the box is beautiful.  Maybe one day I'll be able to afford them to replace my square boxes...

+1  His LMS setup is just insane for both movies and music! Oh, and I mean TJHUB's; Warpdrv's is beyond insane. LOL!

mclsound

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2011, 08:37 pm »
thanks guys
I am still up in the air on a single 18 or two 15/side.