12AU7 Preamp

deicide67

• Industry Participant
12AU7 Preamp
« on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:14 am »
Hi Guys,

I posted this in the Tube-O-Philes section, but I figured I would move it here as well.

$300 includes shipping in the US. Front and back are 1" solid Birch with light figuring and some spalting on the front. The sides are red Mahogany. The finish is hand rubbed danish oil. No poly or laquer. It looks very natural and makes the grain pop without giving a plasticy look. Think more rustic. 100% point to point wired. All 1% MF resistors on the tubes.

This was a custom job for a local that backed out last minute. Completely one off piece and there is not another one like it. Been fired up for about 24 hours.

Please ignore my mess in the last picture  :green:

Thanks for looking!

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: 12AU7 Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:51 am »
I purchased a 12AU7 preamp from this gentlemen and he makes a very good product, I am currently rolling some Tung-sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes through it and I am getting some very good sound.

I would definitely recommend this unit. And the price is right..

V...

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:59 am »
Hey that's pretty neat... Ill be back later..

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2011, 02:33 am »
Thanks Bladesmith! Which tubes do you like best so far?

There will be four like this build in total, so even if I sell this one, do not hesitate to send me a PM. They will all be different looking using various hard woods. I'll post pics as they are completed.

After that, I plan to go back to the all metal chassis like Bladesmith's model unless there are custom orders. I just happened to have to buy four top plates to get the discount :D

Blair

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2011, 03:23 am »
I am using these Electro-Harmonix 12AU7's right now, they sound very good.

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:26 pm »
OK,

I had several inquiries about this one, but no bites. How about $250 shipped which is $25 less than I sell the all metal chassis version.

Also, several people have asked about rear inputs. I built this one for myself a while back, but never finished the front plate. I pulled it down and finished the front plate a few days ago and am wiring it now. The front is a really nice piece of Mahogany and the sides are tiger Maple. This piece is $330 shipped. You can see that there are 2 input and 2 output on this one since I intended on running subs at the time. I spent a lot of time on the detail on this one like recessing the volume knob so it looks nice and flush. I machined the back out of a piece of ribbed aluminum so that I could mount the 1/16" top plate directly to it and it would look like part of the ribs.

Thanks for looking!

Blair

starkiller

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2011, 06:19 pm »
What tubes would the $250 version come with? Auto-bias I assume?

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2011, 04:06 pm »
Yes,

Well, to answer that question properly, it is a fixed cathode bias using resistors so you would not ever need to bias it. Both versions use 12AU7s, and I will include a pair of old stock but good 12AU7s (May be various brands) with the preamp. I use various old stock tubes to keep cost down. Most people end up tube rolling anyway, so this helps to get you going. Like Bladesmith has rolled out his tubes and put in EH 12AU7s. I have not used that tube, but her really liked the results.

Feel free to ask any further questions, or PM me for more details.

Thank you,

Blair

starkiller

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2011, 12:27 am »
This nice preamp has been sold!!

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2011, 09:31 pm »
Yes,

Thank you! The preamp in the first set of pictures is sold. The other one is still available. I still have a few more top plates for preamps like the first one since I bought the steel in a 48" length and had it chopped. If there is any further interest in one like it, I can build one fairly quickly.

So, the Mahogany faced preamp with the figured Maple sides is still available at $330.

Thanks!

Blair

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:36 pm »
Just curious, but I have to ask since I have no hands on: how would this compare to the Dodd inline buffer? Will you be making more? Can you get one without volume control?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:21 am »
Just curious, but I have to ask since I have no hands on: how would this compare to the Dodd inline buffer? Will you be making more? Can you get one without volume control?

A preamp without volume control!  Now we're rockin!    :rock:

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:08 am »
 :D

Yeah,

You would not want to do that with no volume control. Unless you want to feed your amp around 12V :o

As for comparing to the Dodd product, it is not really comparable. This is a preamp and has gain, while the Dodd has none. I'm using a power transformer while Gary is using full DC powered from batteries. I'm using DC as well on both filaments and B+, but from rectified AC. I do not typically build buffers due to how common and attainable the chinese stuff has become like the Yaqins, etc.

I will build a few more preamps like this because I have a few more top plates, but I eventually plan to go back to the metal chassis version.

Blair

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:19 am »
Is this your design?

And reason I ask is I have a Warpspeed for volume. Was thinking of possibly trying  tube item in the chain.

They sure look nice. Thanks for answering.

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:28 am »
Hi,

Not a problem. Yes, it is a design I have worked over several times. Truth be told, and whether people want to admitit or not, bias is bias. Unless you start using unusual bias topologies, etc., your load line will give you specific values :wink:

Most of the design is in what the builder is willing to put into the power supply. Send me a PM, and I'll see what we can do for an inline buffer, but you do know that Dodd has one on sale for $299 on his site.You just need to get some long jumper cables from your car to run to your listening room :lol:

Blair

MT POCKETS

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2011, 09:54 am »
Hi the exterior of your $330 loooks great would you post some info on whats under the hood? VC you used, wireing, caps & resisters? Also specs.

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:40 pm »
Sure,

- +/- 1 db from 10hz – 30+Khz

- All Metal Film 1% resistors in the signal path.

- I use 1uf coupling caps, but you can make them bigger if 10hz is not low enough for you  :|

The smaller amps use all silver plated teflon insulated wire, but the bigger amp uses shielded twisted high copper wire due to the lengths necessary to eliminate any noise. This is the signal path wire. I use communications grade solid copper wire for the ground bus.

I use a 100K old stock pot (Not used old stock). The pot I use tracks well. It can be upgraded, but everyone needs to understand that I'm selling custom chassis preamps for under $500. The wood alone costs upwards of around $30 sometimes which is 1/10 my asking price. I can do mods if you supply the parts. I'll typically install them for free depending on what you want.

Example:  A guy a few years ago wanted a curly maple box with 45s instead of my chassis. He provided me with CMC silver RCA connectors, Jantzen silver caps, his wire, a Noble conductive plastic pot, and wanted his transformer to sit on brass washers(Don't ask) :| Anyway, I charged $150 for the box, and installed the rest for free. I could build a preamp with higher end components, but t would easily get out of the affordable range I'm aiming for.

First pic is the $330 preamp. The second is anotherlike the first onein this thread I am finishing up.

Thanks,

Blair

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2011, 01:56 pm »
Here is another like the one in the first listing I have for sale. This one has Mahogany front and back panels and Maple sides. It does have a poly finish for those of us that like shiny things :D

Price: $260 shipped and insured in the US.

The $330 preamp is still available.

As always, more pics are available upon request.

Hope everyone in the US had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Blair

MaxCast

« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2011, 01:27 am »
These look to be some nice tubed preamps at a great price. Since there are more than one this thread must be moved to industry ads. Good luck with your amps, Blair