SongTower binding posts

gkinberg

SongTower binding posts
« on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm »
I did a quick search and didn't find the answer to my question.

I have SongTowers with standard single set of binding posts. Do the binding posts accept spade lugs. I ask because I am considering investing in some new speaker cables and seem to remember reading that there could be problems with spades and the songtower binding posts. I look forward to you help.

Thanks, Garth

Big Red Machine

Re: SongTower binding posts
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2011, 01:51 am »
They accept spades but I find bananas more reliable and easier.

gkinberg

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:09 am »
I'm surprised, I thought all audiophiles were crazy for spades :D

What do you mean more reliable?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:14 am »
I use a binding post wrench and still find that with spades the posts loosen within a week.  That captive banana plug does not move.  I like the Z-plug designs myself and use them in my DIY cabling.  Many brands available.

bryede

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:57 am »
My solution for binding posts is to put a nylon zip-tie snugly around both posts once they're tight (that is, one zip-tie looping both posts). This keeps them from turning until it's removed.

gkinberg

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2011, 01:29 am »
I have always like the idea of going with bare wire at both the amp and the speaker binding posts. It seems to me that scenario should result in the best sound due to less connections and possibility for signal degredation. I used to use bare wire but it became a hassel in switching gear in and out. I eventually went to bananas to simplify matters but may go back to bare wire once my system gets settled and things no longer need to be moved around any more. 

Thanks to you both for your comments, Garth