Home Theater Receiver

DTB300

Home Theater Receiver
« on: 25 Apr 2004, 01:14 pm »
Still looking for a HTR.  At my local SS, they have been pushing an Integra DTR 6.4 at me.   But recently I have seen a Yamaha HTR-5790 come on the market.

Are the Integra DTR and the Yahama HTR series basically the same?  Apples to Apples?  Or are the two completely differente in quality and performance?  The Integra is 6.1 while the Yamaha is 7.1.  Integra offers 100 x 6/wpc while the Yamaha offers 110 x 7/wpc so no biggie there, other than the Yamaha is 7.1 already.

My wife is into the Surround Sound modes (we used to own a old DSP by Yamaha) and I think the Yamaha does this, so that may be learning me toward that way. You know the old "WAF"

I am looking at a receiver mostly for Movie playback sound from my Denon 2200 DVD.  I may also try to play SACD from Denon through the HTR for some surround experience.   But again I plan on mostly using it for Movie surround.

Any comments on the above?  BTW, the Yamaha is a lower cost and BB has 12 months no interest on it now.

Thanks,
Dan

bubba966

Home Theater Receiver
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2004, 06:36 pm »
6.1 isn't worth bothering with at all, 7.1 is much better than 6.1 (though I find that even 7.1 isn't worth bothering with most of the time).

Yamaha seems to be king of DSP's. The last Yamaha I played with had 70-80 different DSP's... :roll:

If you've used Yamaha in the past & been happy with it, you probably should pick up the Yamaha. That way you should be somewhat familiar with using the HTR.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Home Theater Receiver
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2004, 06:59 pm »
Yeah, that's great for watching a movie in a church, a stadium, an outhouse, a teahouse in Prague, etc.  :wink:   IMOHO pretty much all their DSPs are crap (not just Yammie- I have no use for most of them).  Even the *best* of them have very little use beyond their gimmick value.  The only DSP I wouldn't be without is PLII.

PeteG

Home Theater Receiver
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2004, 07:18 pm »
I would pick sound quality over any gimmicks, all new receivers have the basics (PLII,DTS)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Home Theater Receiver
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2004, 07:25 pm »
I'd shy away from purchasing a receiver from Best Buy.  My past experiences with warranty service from them has been a nightmare, and you'll probably find a lot of horror stories from others.  JMOHO, but I'd try a little more "upscale" store.  If there's an Ultimate Electronics in your area, they're a safe bet.  At least in my area, those guys will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy, and their warranty service is outstanding.

I guess if your wife likes the DSPs, maybe the Yammie would be the way to go.  I use a Denon for HT and it has plenty of DSPs to suit me, but again I don't really use 'em.  BTW, I also have a DVD-2200 and I really love it.  I think you'll be pleased with its performance for MC music from SACD & DVD-A.

DTB300

Home Theater Receiver
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2004, 08:38 pm »
Thanks all for the replies...The more I research this item, the more I am inclined to steer towards the RX line instead of the HTR line.  The RX-V1400 and the RX-V2400.  The 1400 is the same as the HTR-5790 and the 2400 is even better.  Time to do some more searching and reading on the RX line.

Thanks...Dan