How reasonable would a single run of cat 5 be for surrounds

Freeflyer

I've just moved countries and houses. To place my surrounds will require 2 runs of around 20m of cable. I'll have to buy more, but keep finding just zip wire locally, or some heavy cable at unrealistic prices.

However, I have a 1000' spool of cat5e (cheap stuff) and wondered if the 8 conductors in that would be as good or better than zip wire.

As this is for surrounds, I don't want to get into the whole braiding 48 conductors in unusual ways for high end audio as that would be overkill and take way too long.

Opinions gratefully received.

Cheers,

J.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2004, 09:54 am »
I've used two runs of high speed Cat3 (4 conductors) at fairly long lengths (45'-55') on surround speakers at a friends house.

Sounded quite good.

So a single run of Cat5e should be about the same as you'll be able to run 4 conductors for the +run & 4 conductors for the -run, just as I did with the Cat3.

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2004, 10:09 am »
i use that for surrounds too, cause i also couldnt be bothered for braiding for just surrounds (the mains are braided)  

it sounds better than zip cord!

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2004, 01:09 pm »
I'm using it for a pair of surrounds.  I'm using an Aiwa minisystem in my bedroom and needed something that I could tuck under the carpet.  Worked better than the stock 22ga copper hair that was on them before.

-C

Freeflyer

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2004, 04:54 am »
Thanks for the replies. I installed it and it sounds pretty good, and a lot cheaper given that I had loads of the stuff sitting around.

Cheers,

J.

WerTicus

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2004, 08:14 am »
well cat 5 is solid cored for starters and its usually teflon insulated which is another benifit.

mojoman

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2004, 11:01 am »
I use cat5e for my rear surrounds.  I goes under the house and up through the walls to the speaker mounts.  Probably about 50 feet in all for each run and I think it sounds fine.