tube buffer...

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
tube buffer...
« on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:06 am »
what is it, where does it go and what is the purpose of it?  I think I know what it is but I can't find a definitive description anywhere so what better place to ask than the Tube-o-phile Circle.

TrungT

Re: tube buffer...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:16 am »
Buffer has NO gain and allows the use of very long or problematic cables without any loss in sonic qualities. (very low output impedance)
Pre does has gain.
Hope that's help. :wink:

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:01 pm »
Interesting avatar pic midfi.... Looks familiar...

Steve

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2011, 07:04 pm »
what is it, where does it go and what is the purpose of it?  I think I know what it is but I can't find a definitive description anywhere so what better place to ask than the Tube-o-phile Circle.

Hi Midfi,

Buffer stage has less gain and generally has lower but not zero harmonic/IM distortion (Depends upon the design, cathode follower, common cathode with large negative feedback etc). Since it uses parts musical degradation almost always occurs as in any other design.

High frequency response is generally greater, one can use longer, high capacitance ICs. However, it is advantageous to limit capacitance as much as possible.

Low frequency limitations are as any other stage; due to either capacitive or transformer coupling.

DC output coupling eliminates low frequency loss, but an additional power supply is usually necessary, and DC offset circuitry is almost always necessary.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 05:35 pm by Steve »

midfi

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:32 pm »
Interesting avatar pic midfi.... Looks familiar...
Radiohead...  I seen somewhere else someone has the same avatar but the eyes blinks on his.

midfi

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2011, 09:41 pm »
I must be sharing an Avatar with someone named Pez  :icon_lol: he must be a Radiohead fan as well (which is a good thing!).  So the only purpose of this piece is to allow you to use longer runs of RCA's, like a Balanced I/O does without lots of signal loss...

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:26 am »
They also help with impedance matching. As I understand (I'm no expert) the volume control creates an impedance swing as the volume (resistance to ground) changes. A buffer will uh buffer these changes and output a consistant low impedance output. A general rule of thumb is that your amp input impedance should be 10x or greater than your source impedance.

I think that a lot of system "magic" has to do with getting the right impedance matching between components. Or not having it might be a synergy killer.

Hope this basic view helps.

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:28 am »
Oh yeah welcome.

firedog

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2011, 10:44 am »
So when I see a buffer like the Dodd Tube, that has no gain and is a linestage...what does the Volume control actually do? If it isn't changing the gain, what is it actually doing to raise or lower the loudness of the signal going to the power amp?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2011, 12:12 pm »
It only attenuates the signal. But the signal coming from your standard cd player should be enough to drive your standard amp to a high volume level..(there are the exceptions of course.)

I use a Dodd buffer with a 12AU7 preamp and then the signal goes to a NAD amp. I use no gain with my preamp in normal listening mode, only when I really want to be crazy loud do I use the gain in the 12AU7 preamp.

midfi

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:40 am »
Oh yeah welcome.
thank you and thanks for the info as well...