Sony Discman 1 BIT DAC Vs. Any Other Component Type

Adarsh

« on: 24 Apr 2004, 08:23 pm »
I have been putting together for a while a plan for a 2 channel audio sound system.

Currently I own a Kenwood KA 59 stereo amplifier with a power rating of 150 W (written on rear of unit, I have no user manual or information on the unit). I will be using a Sony Discman DF-411 with a 1 BIT DAC and a PC as the source for audio.

I would like to know if my Sony Discman is any better or equal with sonic performance compared to a component CD player (the type used for most Hi Fi systems). FYI it does have a line out, I purchased it in 2001, one of Sony's higher line models with AM/FM, ESP (electronic shock protection) and input for a remote control.

Please advise with technical information if possible.

Thanks,

Adarsh

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2004, 09:45 pm »
How are you trying to connect the PC, DAC and Discman to each other?

The PC has a Hard drive, probably a CD player and a DAC.  The Discman has a transport and a DAC, and you have a separate DAC as well.

What's the goal?

Adarsh

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2004, 02:07 pm »
How good is my Sony Discman? Does it have better sound quality than a Sony Component CD Player? Does the 1 BIT DAC make any difference to the sound quality?

WerTicus

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2004, 09:50 am »
unlikely that a discman has better quality than a proper unit.  I think you will find it is quite poor quality.

jasontkennedy

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2004, 10:18 pm »
alot of portables have a "digital out" so you can use it as  a transport! Then you can use whatever DAC you want
 :P

cjr888

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2004, 02:20 am »
Adarsh -- honestly a lot of the little discman do pretty well, whether as source or as transport.  I'd head over to head-fi.org though and check out the Sources section.  Tons of users with portable rigs, and a rediculous number of portable sources have been reviewed, compared, etc.