RMAF-WOW

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
RMAF-WOW
« on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:29 am »
arriving just in time to visit all three VSA rooms,, visiting with Albert and Damon.  The new VS Active 44's are everything I had hoped for, and much more..  For those who have had the pleasure of dB99 ownership or simply had a chance to listen to them,, the 44's deliver more top to bottom dynamics, more body and soul, punch..   They are truly exciting to listen to and built, bullet proof!  The cabinet design is beautiful.  Plan to revisit tomorrow,, maybe post a pic or two tomorrow night.

The VR33's were shining today,, sounding much better to my ear than at the Stereophile Show in Orange Co earlier this year.. At a Show price of $3750+, I don't know how VS does it!  Talk about bang for the buck,, the 33's are terrific..  They mate well with anything u can throw at it and aren't fussy with placement,, once dialed in,,, be prepared for a combination of finesse and slam..

I was less taken by the sound of the VR5's, but since i own a pair,, I attribute the slightly veiled sound to the electronics,, perhaps the tape source deck.  Listened to a Yes tune and could not engage.. I'll try again tomorrow.. The Uni 2's are present in this room and will listen tomorrow..

And as always,, a pleasure to visit with Albert and Damon,, both good guys.. 

More tomorrow..

mca

Re: RMAF-WOW
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2011, 04:57 am »
Do you know what equipment was being used with the VR33's?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:49 pm »
Cherry MONO ULTRA amps (black face) driving the VR44-As?

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm »
Tommy,
Nope, looks like they used McAlister OTL amps, but forgot to turn them on the first day. But apparently they do sound better in the "on" position.

You were right Pez, the McAlister amps were not up to the task as they were running in stand-by mode at the time you were in the room.
Rim (woodsyi) is here now listening. Maybe we can get you back into the room for a second listen now that we have realized our oversight?

BigSwede

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:39 pm »

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2011, 08:16 am »
In room 522 with Purity Audio, we ran a pair of Cherry digital amps on Friday. They appeared to be "raw" with no prior break-in, so we switched to a pair of McAllister OTL tube mono blocks.  Unfortunately, the amps had suffered shipping damage, as there was distortion in the right amp, and a different type of buzzing sound coming from the tweeter on the other amp. Changing out the amps proved that the McAllisters had been damaged in shipping, as the sound with the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated amp we used late Saturday night was revelatory - no buzz, no distortion, just clean, pure sound with an incredible 3-D sound stage.  The KR rep wouldn't let us use the amp on Sunday, as he had it in another room, but I've ordered the KR amp for use at CES this year.  We will take Bill Baker's Purity Audio Ultra GT preamp, as it is the very best preamp I have ever tested (and it ought to be at $29,000 MSRP).  During the audition of the KR Audio SXi Mk2 integrated map using the Kronzilla tubes, everyone in the room commented on the fact that the sound of these components were elevated to a lever higher than any other room we had heard at RMAF.  Dog gone shame we couldn't have used this amp for the entire show!

The Jolida/Von Schweikert room using the VR-5 Anniversary Mk2 won "The Oasis Award" by Positive Feedback for excellence in sound (it's kinda like a "best sound of show award" according to David Robinson, Editor of PF).

We all had a great time and sold lots of speakers, so we thought all of our three rooms did a great job for us.  If you happened to visit our rooms, please put up a comment!

Afterimage

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2011, 08:29 am »
I tried the DAC Cherry Plus with my Uni 3s.  The sound was just okay, and that was not what I was looking for.  Had decent extension, but lacked liveness, spacing and air. 

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:32 pm »
Here's a link to early photographic coverage (partial) of the RMAF.  Frank says much more to come:

http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6674&sid=9a127954fef054a64311950988fc2baa

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:28 pm »
Here is one of my photos of the new VR-44 from Saturday.

It sounded as good as it looked!

Wayne

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:34 pm »
Albert,

Joe & Bill told me about the KR and I wish I was there to listen to it.

Had I known you guys got problem(s) with the McAllisters, I could have lent you a pair of our Melody monos. :)

Your VR-44s are really really good.  CONGRATS.

Delacroix

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2011, 02:15 am »
Wished I'd been there. I reviewed the DAC Cherry Plus with VR5s a couple of years ago and found it excellent so I am disappointed the monos did not work out but as Albert says, it might be a break-in issue. Am hoping to review the new monos shortly for HiFi'Zine so I'll report back if and when.   Next year I am determined to make sure RMAF does not get knocked off my schedule for 'other' reasons.

VSA Customer Service

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm »
Do you know what equipment was being used with the VR33's?

Hi MCA.  The front end was completely Jolida electronics with VSA Master-Built speaker cables, interconnects and power cords.  Here's a specific list of the electronics.

JD 100A - Vacuum Tube Compact Disc Player
FX Tube DAC - Tube DAC
JD 1000CRC - Integrated Stereo Tube Amp

I was very pleased with this setup as the entire system retails for less than $10K including cables.

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:44 am »
Who made the racks in the VR-44/Purity GT room? Very eye catching.

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:36 am »
Who made the racks in the VR-44/Purity GT room? Very eye catching.

Tate at Custom Isolation Products Makes them Jack.  I had some done a few years back, his work is exceptional.  http://customisolation.net/

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:47 pm »
Bill,, Albert or Damon,, remind me again where the small floor lights came from as they provided an awesome glow,, highlighting the equipment on display....

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:54 pm »
I took my little point-and-shoot Canon to the show but the equipment pictures were less than stellar.  I did however get a few shots of the celebs...

es347 and Albert

Damon and es347

Friday night dinner at local Indian restaurant

Joe and Bill of Purity Audio with eye candy...or if you prefer, a rose between two thorns....and very poorly focused.  Thank goodness their preamp was however, very well focused  :thumb:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2011, 06:57 pm »
Hello Gavin,

Thanks for sharing your pictures.
It is nice to see the fun you all had.

Hope to be in Denver next year since I missed it after reading all the posts and the nice picture of Rez and Tyson.

Cor

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2011, 06:45 pm »
The LED spots on the floor came from Menards, another store like Home Depot or Lowes. They come three in a pack and run off three tripple A batteries. $13 a three pack.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2011, 07:31 pm »
jamn Joe,, thats what i call a bargain!!  es,, i had dinner at the same restaurant,, earlier that Friday eve... food was fair but the service was just plain terrible.  took foreverrrrrr. Tho, glad to c that the area has sprouted some new dinner spots for the weary..  Great shots of the VS room crew! jack

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2011, 09:01 am »
Tate at Custom Isolation Products Makes them Jack.  I had some done a few years back, his work is exceptional.  http://customisolation.net/

Thanks Arthur :) I thought the cool blue glow looked familiar!  :D