Which Subwoofers integrate best with the MMG's?

seadogs1

Which Subwoofers integrate best with the MMG's?
« on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:48 pm »
 :scratch:My son is looking into getting a Pair of the MMG's and I was wondering which subs people use to integrate well with them? Is it necessary to use two subs? Do self powered subs work ok? Any thoughts???

cujobob

Re: Which Subwoofers integrate best with the MMG's?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2011, 07:04 pm »
Most subs are self powered and as long as the sub is designed properly, any can integrate just fine. I recommend more than one because of the way bass interacts with the room. There used to be some good deals on closeout subs....maybe check parts express and other places for some good cheapies and buy a pair. I recommend sealed subs as well, but any can work.

Wallacefl

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm »
I have had good luck with ACI subwoofers...I use a ACI Saturn with SW-12 woofer+ OAUDIO amp ...matches well with my Martin Logan CLSZ2...should work well with the MMG.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm »
 You know what?

The cheapest piece of gear in my system is currently my subwoofer and I bought it on a whim 2 months ago, before my MMG purchase, just to have something in place while I focused on the more important stuff.

It's a ported KLH sub I bought for $40 at a pawn shop. It's a ported 10" in a rather large box (for an inexpensive sub) with something like 120watts, gain, phase, and crossover control.

By all accounts it shouldn't sound good at all with the MMG's, but it does. As most here know, my amp hipasses at 80hz, and MMG's don't have much bass output anyway, so it actually is a pretty nice blend. I have the sub set around 50hz.

I'll put it this way, I haven't shut it off yet, even as my other gear gets better and better. So inexpensive subs can work too.

Important: I do keep it well out from the wall, actually right inbetween the Maggies, and about a foot and a half off the ground.

Not sure how a typical, over in the corner against the wall setup would sound. Probably like ass. Tell your son.

It's eventually getting replaced with what I estimate will be a much better fit, ob servo subs. If I were you, and budget wasn't too much concern, I would PM Danny Richie at GR Research and ask him about his servo sub kits and plans for an open baffle.

A lot of these guys run vented, sealed, transmission line subs as well and seem to like them.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:06 am »
Try putting a Magnepan DMW inbetween the Maggies for something completely different.  Not a sub but the results are kind of surprising.

I use a big SVS for the low end, crossed over around 50 Hz and run at a low volume with good results.

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm »
Conventional wisdom would be look for something sealed, music-oriented (flat rather than boomy theater response), ideally servo'd for low distortion.

Next step up would be a dipole sub, but you have to build those yourself (there are easily-available plans).

The Magnepan woofer would probably be the highest quality option, but it's a woofer, rather than a sub, it goes down to 40 Hz or so.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2011, 12:08 am »
Just curious, how much is the dmw?

BrassEar

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2011, 12:16 am »
Small sealed powered sub. I would NOT use a ported boom box.

I have used the small Martin Logan subs with stats and planers with good results.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:20 am »
The DMW is $795 - if you set it up like I did in that Mini Maggies for Ogres article somewhere in this Circle ALL of the sound appears to be coming from the DMW which is really a bizarre effect.
I'm thinking of trying it with a DMW on the bottom and then use another MMG mounted horizontally up by the cieling but will have to wait until some pennies free up.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:33 am »
My ported box works ok, but I have it well out and away and don't push it very hard, it's just rounding things out. I have no true sub -subbass. 30hz is about it., however, I can easily imagine a superior sub at work in the system, able to cross higher, go lower, and playing with far greater accuracy and speed.

$795 for the dmw ? I think I have to go hear one. Maybe that's what I need!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2011, 04:11 am »
Sealed subs are the way to go.  If you wantto go cheap, then consider a Martin logan Dynamo 700 or this emotiva sealed sub-

http://www.emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

Look for used Velodyne SPL subs which are very good.  Also consider this rhythmic sub-

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

Very nice subs and servo controlled at a great price.

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:55 am »
There a lots of good discontinued new Rels on the market. They are the smaller models but are an excellent match with Maggies.

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:36 pm »
I think the most important question hasn't been asked.  Is this sub for HT or music....or some combination of both?

If HT usage then there's plenty of sealed-box/self-powered solutions that would probably work fine with MMG's.  I wouldn't use a vented box sub-woofer under any circumstances.....HT or music reproduction.  Much stored energy and contributed group-delay, no cone loading at low frequencies, steep roll-off, etc, etc.

If music only usage then augmenting the MMG's with conventional-drive dipole woofers is the only way to go.  Unfortunately, you won't find any off-the-shelf active crossover/EQ's with this capability.  These need to be constructed via the DIY route.  However, blank circuit boards are available from various sources which makes it a bit easier.
An example:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/74420-active-filter-board-gb.html

My own system uses two 10" Parts Express woofers per side in an "H"-baffle configuration with custom crossover/EQ (at 80Hz) built by me to integrate the MMG's.

Whatever solution used needs to high-pass roll-off the MMG's for proper integration with the sub-woofer selected.  This is not as easy as it might sound.

Cheers,

Dave.

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:46 pm »
I would think the GR Research OB servo subs would be a natural fit.  Outstanding bass and incredibly musical.  Tom S has a pair for sale here on AC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99493.0

Best,
Ed

rw@cn

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2011, 04:50 pm »
Guys,

Allow me to slighty disagree. Rels have been mated with Maggies for a long time now and the combination has always been praised. Granted the small ones aren't for big rooms or HT but for music they add significantly to the presentation while virtually disappearing from the room. If you want really loud and great sound, look at the larger models.

I have had these in a number of systems and simply loved them.

Sure there are alternatives (and very good ones) but I would advise you to do the research and find a shop that sell these (if you can).

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:47 am »
If you go with Martin Logan dynamos, make sure you go with the older sealed ones, by all accounts the new ones aren't as good.

jackfish

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:55 pm »
In my opinion, based on the same inquiry, Rythmik is the only way to go if you want to spend around $1000 or less.

Emotiva ERC-1, USP-1 and 2 x UPA-1
Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa
Magnepan MMG Magnestand
Rythmik Audio F12

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm »
I made an OB sub using the amp from GR Research and an 15 inch woofer.  I really like it.  The output is way down from ported or sealed but it is very musical.  And cheap...

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:12 am »
I've had Magnepans for almost 7 years now and have had a variety of subwoofers in the mix. I'll tell you one of the best kept secrets in terms of a subwoofer that mates GREAT with Maggies - and in my case I'm talking about the 3.6s, which can be very tough to blend with a sub. If you're looking for a smaller sub to just fill out the bottom end a bit and don't need to go below 30hz, I'd check out the M8 from Outlaw Audio. I am NOT a Hsu fan, and this was who was designing their subwoofers previously. This one is a non-Hsu piece, though, and I was shocked at how much you get for a little over two bills. I have mine up on a sub-dude isolation platform and it blends in fantastically well.

If you have a bigger room get two, or if you want to go below 30hz you should probably consider something else. But I have been very impressed with this little M8.

kenreau

« Reply #19 on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:37 pm »
Fwiw, I don't own Planar speakers, but did want to toss out my fav subwoofer.  Over the past +/-12 years, I've had Velodynes, Polk, Hsu and a pair of the large Outlaws for reference.  I picked up a preowned JL Audio Fathom f112 Subwoofer last year and have been absolutely thrilled by it.  The build quality, tuning & dsp processing are outstanding.  I have it set up to dove tail in with the bottom end of my Harbeth 40.1's.  They do double duty for 2 channel music and L&R fronts for my HT system.  Imho, the one Fathom sub is nearly twice as good as my dual Outlaws were.  With a suitable bluray/dvd with a competent audio track/sound effects, it can shake the house.  I don't think I ever experienced what real subwoofer low frequencies down into 20Hz range were like before.  Superb sound quality and LFE. 

What ever you get, I highly recommend getting something that has a dsp system & mic set up.  It really helps to blend them in with your mains and take a lot of the trial & error guess work out of making a solid bass foundation.

Kenreau