USB Network Connectivity

JfTM

USB Network Connectivity
« on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:13 pm »
Getting all my associated gear ready for my BDP-1; which should be here in a week  :green:

Is anyone using the USB network adapters that look like thumb drives?

Any noise/interference issues?

Here is an example http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=357235&CatId=2704

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: USB Network Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:49 pm »
Hi JfTM,

How do you plan on using the wifi adapter?  The BDP-1 doesn't make us of wifi adapters.

Chris

JfTM

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

Looking to connect to my Bell router.

All I plan to use it for is streaming internet radio.

jjc1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:48 pm »
   The BDP1 has connection with some internet radio stations. You can use a wireless adapter that will connect to your router (wirelessly) and connect via  ethernet to the BDP1. I use this system and can get internet radio thru the BDP.

JfTM

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2011, 07:50 pm »
   The BDP1 has connection with some internet radio stations. You can use a wireless adapter that will connect to your router (wirelessly) and connect via  ethernet to the BDP1. I use this system and can get internet radio thru the BDP.

Thanks

I guess my confusion stems from trying to follow this issue in the FAQ thread.  There  two USB connected wireless products were mentioned as working with the BDP-1.  The two I saw were the TrendNet TEW-654TR and the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAS Universal WiFi Internet Adapter.

If they work, wouldn't the smaller ones like I linked to work as well.

My configuration is such that I need the BDP-1 to communicate with my telco provided router (my telco is Bell).  Primarily for remote control of the DBP-1 and to stream internet radio (so I don't need a lot of throughput).

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:32 pm »
Thanks

I guess my confusion stems from trying to follow this issue in the FAQ thread.  There  two USB connected wireless products were mentioned as working with the BDP-1.  The two I saw were the TrendNet TEW-654TR and the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAS Universal WiFi Internet Adapter.

If they work, wouldn't the smaller ones like I linked to work as well.

My configuration is such that I need the BDP-1 to communicate with my telco provided router (my telco is Bell).  Primarily for remote control of the DBP-1 and to stream internet radio (so I don't need a lot of throughput).

The TrendNet TEW-654TR and the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAS are NOT USB adapters, they are network antennas, which are connected to the network connection on the BDP. It is possible to feed their needed power from a USB connector.

As far as I know it is not possible to connect a USB antenna to the BDP, because the USB connections are "wired for music" only.

The TrendNet is the better option of the two. I suggest you go for that.

JfTM

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:56 pm »
The TrendNet TEW-654TR and the NetGear WNCE2001-100NAS are NOT USB adapters, they are network antennas, which are connected to the network connection on the BDP. It is possible to feed their needed power from a USB connector.

As far as I know it is not possible to connect a USB antenna to the BDP, because the USB connections are "wired for music" only.

The TrendNet is the better option of the two. I suggest you go for that.

Ahh thanks

I was even more confused as each describes using a USB cable, and the Netgear (at least) is on the USB adapter page  :duh:

Cleared up and ordered now.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2011, 07:07 am »

As you can see in this picture there is no USB connector on the TEW-654TR, but an RJ 45 connector.
The little hole next to it is the power inlet, which can be pulled either from the mains, or from a USB connector on a computer (or the BDP).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:44 pm »
Hi

We have had customers use these successfully with the BDP-1; however when they stop working and as its a wifi device it will inevitably stop working, they can be difficult to get working again.  I highly recommend either running a network cable, or if thats not at all feasible to use a powerline network kit (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV).  These network kits, although could potentially create interference are very easy to setup and very reliable.

Chris
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer

terrycym

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2011, 05:15 pm »
I have one of these power line devices too, a Netgear one with a mains plug on the front so you don't loose a socket, and it works a treat.
A damn sight easier to use than the wi-Fi alternative.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:22 am »
Hmm... I do have a few comments here...

We have had customers use these successfully with the BDP-1;

I do own a TrendNet, and use it for other things than a BDP, which I do not own. I have yet to discover a difference between signal transmitted over cable or through the TrendNet.

however when they stop working and as its a wifi device it will inevitably stop working,

Eventually everything with a plug will stop working. I had mine for a few years now, and never a single glitch. Nothing to be found on defective ones online either. The Bryston CD player on the other hand...

they can be difficult to get working again.

No, for 50 or so bucks you buy a new one.

I highly recommend either running a network cable,

Not always possible, for whatever reason. My computer system is on another floor, I am not one to drill holes in concrete floors 6 inches thick just to lay a cable. Also my housemates will have a problem with cables all over the place.

or if thats not at all feasible to use a powerline network kit (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV).  These network kits, although could potentially create interference

Not "could potentially", they WILL create interference. Both measurable AND audible. This will create the need to buy an expensive filter, something you will not need with a TrendNet.
I do not understand why a device ike this is recommended by someone from Bryston, a company that is "dedicated to faithfully reproduce recorded music with more accuracy than ever before".
The best cable is NO cable, a cable that also is used to feed current to the microwave and those lovely buzzing halogen spot transformers definitely is not that.

are very easy to setup and very reliable.

Chris
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer

As is a TrendNet. Push a button on the antenna, push a button on the router, done.
I still don't understand why this was not added into the BDP in the first place, like the missing DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2011, 01:14 pm »
Hmm... I do have a few comments here...

Not "could potentially", they WILL create interference. Both measurable AND audible. This will create the need to buy an expensive filter, something you will not need with a TrendNet.
I do not understand why a device ike this is recommended by someone from Bryston, a company that is "dedicated to faithfully reproduce recorded music with more accuracy than ever before".
The best cable is NO cable, a cable that also is used to feed current to the microwave and those lovely buzzing halogen spot transformers definitely is not that.

Anonamemouse,

Chris is an engineer - give him a break aye :thumb:

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2011, 04:34 pm »
No, for 50 or so bucks you buy a new one.

Hello Anonamemouse,

Sorry i didn't mean to imply that the devices were more likely to physically break, but like other wifi devices to become dissociated with its wifi network with time from outside interference.  How often does your wifi computer stop connecting to the net?  A question any user should ask them selves before deploying a wifi bridge solution and ask them selves "do i want to deal with the hassle of wifi while i just want to relax and let the music bath over me?".  When my wifi does go down, i know exactly how to handle it; however the average Bryston customer is like my boss James Tanner, they just don't want to deal with problems.  People want things that just work, a wired network connection is more reliable then that of a wireless.  Even though if the user doesn't have a power filter they may rather put up with a bit of interference and use a device that requires so little setup and is much more reliable. 

Chris

Anonamemouse

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 08:44 pm »
Chris is an engineer - give him a break aye :thumb:

Bosses orders.

Sorry i didn't mean to imply that the devices were more likely to physically break, but like other wifi devices to become dissociated with its wifi network with time from outside interference.  How often does your wifi computer stop connecting to the net?

Actually I don't even remember when I was disconnected because my wifi decided to do the Kitkat thing... It probably happened, but it definitely is not a weekly thing here. Plus the TrenNet is in a fixed place (I did figure out where the max reception was), I never had any problem with it.

A question any user should ask them selves before deploying a wifi bridge solution and ask them selves "do i want to deal with the hassle of wifi while i just want to relax and let the music bath over me?".  When my wifi does go down, i know exactly how to handle it; however the average Bryston customer is like my boss James Tanner, they just don't want to deal with problems.  People want things that just work, a wired network connection is more reliable then that of a wireless.

For me there is no hassle... The laptop I need for work (I am a runner for LiveNation) works where ever I can use a wifi (preferably for free, which is starting to be a common things in venues nowadays). I can find what I need, all other network/internet things I do at home.

Even though if the user doesn't have a power filter they may rather put up with a bit of interference and use a device that requires so little setup and is much more reliable. 

It may be more reliable, but the interference part... If that would not bother me I could have saved a sh*tload of money on my audio equipment... If it is audible, I do not want it. And anyone reading this will share this opinion, because they are all willing to spend a lot of money for excellent audio reproduction. It is why they bought a Bryston amp...

terrycym

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2011, 01:34 pm »
Do you honestly hear the interference or is that just percieved?

BTW Bad language is still bad language even when letters are replaced by other characters

Deftone

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:20 pm »
Hi

We have had customers use these successfully with the BDP-1; however when they stop working and as its a wifi device it will inevitably stop working, they can be difficult to get working again.  I highly recommend either running a network cable, or if thats not at all feasible to use a powerline network kit (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DHP-307AV).  These network kits, although

could potentially create interference are very easy to setup and very reliable.

Chris,

Is the dlink power line  plug and play.I will be getting a pair if it really works.

Chris
Bryston Ltd.
Engineer

terrycym

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:27 pm »
The Negear ones are, dead easy to use.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2011, 12:08 am »
I'm not an engineer, just a guy who wants to listen to music. I can testify that an ethernet connection to a digital player is the most stable and hassle-free connection I've used. I can imagine there are some situations where such a connection is not possible, but if it is, I strongly recommend it.

And, BTW, I've never gone wrong taking Chris's advice.

Dave