great music download shop: Rhino

Marius

great music download shop: Rhino
« on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:07 pm »
Finally getting to updating my Yes Album catalog I stumbled upon Rhino. Never having previously owned the remastered and extended versions of the Yes Albums, this is a real treat! And downloadable in Flac/Wav ea. Loads of other artists/bands too. Not really cheap though, but use it to your advantage. I do!

http://www.rhino.com/shop/format/Digital

Greetings,
Marius

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: great music download shop: Rhino
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:36 pm »
Couldn't disagree more.  We've had loads of discussion about the goofy Rhino site.  "Hidef"?  Hardly; it's just lossless FLAC redbook.  Like saying standard DVD is hidef cuz all you have to compare is VHS.  And many times folks get the wrong song when downloading, or get spotty or inaccurate FLAC metadata.  Anyway, buyer beware.

Also, not sure what this thread has to do with Bryston. 

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:41 pm »
Hi,

Never said it was Hires, Rhino state that clearly, this time even I could find that on their site. I was just happy to see those Albums in more than complete versions, compared to my record collection I had in the cupboard for more than 30 years.....

(Some of them that is.)

Will check your warning about wrong songs or flac-data though.

Thanks anyway, I think. :scratch:

Marius

Couldn't disagree more.  We've had loads of discussion about the goofy Rhino site.  "Hidef"?  Hardly; it's just lossless FLAC redbook.  Like saying standard DVD is hidef cuz all you have to compare is VHS.  And many times folks get the wrong song when downloading, or get spotty or inaccurate FLAC metadata.  Anyway, buyer beware.

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:47 pm »
well sorry for my posting, but since Bryston has the most amazing digital player, and we talk a lot about what to load it with, it might just have more to do with Bryston than the threads about cars or pictures we see now and again...

Good sites with complete catalogues of digital music being non-mp3 format have our attention is my experience. I wouldn't mind anyone hinting and nudging me in the right direction.

If I displeased you with that, I'm sorry, no offense meant.

Marius

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 09:45 pm by Marius »

headshrinker2

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:07 pm »
Never heard of Rhino.  Will check it out...

Your thread may not be directly about Bryston, but it is about music.. and digital music- very relevant to many of us these days. 

Finally getting to updating my Yes Album catalog I stumbled upon Rhino. Never having previously owned the remastered and extended versions of the Yes Albums, this is a real treat! And downloadable in Flac/Wav ea. Loads of other artists/bands too. Not really cheap though, but use it to your advantage. I do!

http://www.rhino.com/shop/format/Digital

Greetings,
Marius

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:15 pm »

Your thread may not be directly about Bryston, but it is about music.. and digital music- very relevant to many of us these days.

???  So is the whole Audio Circle.  The intent of the different Circles is to spawn better dialog with each interest category; otherwise why have them?

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2011, 06:56 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the Rhino store, downloading a few albums now!

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:59 pm »
Here we go again.  A member decides to start a thread for which there is a circle elsewhere and gets bludgeoned to death because he didn't start it there.  Asking what digital downloads have to do with Bryston is like asking what vinyl recordings have to do with VPI or SACD's and Esoteric.  Over on the vinyl circle they talk about records and places to find them all the time without any lack of civility and I believe there is a circle dedicated to this topic. I'm not a BDP-1 owner but if I were I would appreciate Marius' willingness to share a relevent experience.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm »
Bludgeoned?

I own Bryston, Modwright, Bolder, Red Wine, Aether Audio and gear from several other AC Circle sponsors.  I discuss those products there, and discuss vinyl in the vinyl circle, home theater in the home theater circle, yadayada.  I'm not sure why that seems illogical.  But as a creator and moderator of a special circle myself (HiRez Music) I promised to keep it topical and within scope, otherwise why do it?   I am often asked to move topics when they seem out of scope and have an easy home elsewhere, and I do. 

I fully appreciate the loyalty and camaraderie of the Bryston Circle.  James has become a good audio friend, and we PM and chat all the time.   I'm not questioning the Circle by any means.  But Bryston, like any other great source and amp manufacturer, could be a gateway for EVERYTHING that is music, since it touches all aspects.  And if we didn't have other subforums I'd agree.  I'm just pointing out that we have a subforum system here that allows folks to get the best traction and experience by posing questions and feedback in the Circle that is most relevant, and would get the most bang for the buck.  In this example I'd hate for general music users with Rhino experience to miss these questions just because they don't subscribe to the Bryston forum in their configurations.

Net/net, discuss on.  I am sorry if I've offended anyone or they feel bludgeoned by my recommendations.  It wasn't my intent.  I will back way off...  :)

P.S  Marius, I'm anxious to hear if things like customer service and the FLAC metadata issues have been resolved.  Rhino does have a nice catalog; it's just they poorly managed it early on. 

Marius

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm »
That 's why I didn't dare posting on your circle, you would have kicked me out, and justly so  :lol:

Sometimes you just have to gamble where to post. What would have been the more relevant circle?

And please don't back off, I'm not easily scared off. I'm Dutch you know...  :icon_twisted:

Thanks,
Marius

But as a creator and moderator of a special circle myself (HiRez Music) I promised to keep it topical and within scope, otherwise why do it?

In this example I'd hate for general music users with Rhino experience to miss these questions just because they don't subscribe to the Bryston forum in their configurations.

Net/net, discuss on.  I am sorry if I've offended anyone or they feel bludgeoned by my recommendations.  It wasn't my intent.  I will back way off...  :)

P.S  Marius, I'm anxious to hear if things like customer service and the FLAC metadata issues have been resolved.  Rhino does have a nice catalog; it's just they poorly managed it early on.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:05 am »
Here we go again.  A member decides to start a thread for which there is a circle elsewhere and gets bludgeoned to death because he didn't start it there.  Asking what digital downloads have to do with Bryston is like asking what vinyl recordings have to do with VPI or SACD's and Esoteric.  Over on the vinyl circle they talk about records and places to find them all the time without any lack of civility and I believe there is a circle dedicated to this topic. I'm not a BDP-1 owner but if I were I would appreciate Marius' willingness to share a relevent experience.

Amen to that! There have been many threads started here that have nothing to do with Bryston directly, but because (a) a member has an interest he or she wants to share a view or information and (b) if other members respond then the thread is given a kind of validity. If no one using the Bryston circle had been interested in Marius' topic, it would have faded quickly. In short, looking at topics it is easy to see that this circle is not subject to abuse and that topics are, thankfully, self-policed. In other words, let any member start any thread topic of his or her choice and let it ride without incivility, carping or overly zealous moderating.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:26 am »
... let any member start any thread topic of his or her choice and let it ride without incivility, carping or overly zealous moderating.

The free-wheeling nature of the Bryston Circle is the best thing about it. I hope that never changes. It's rarely boring.

D.D.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:00 pm »
The free-wheeling nature of the Bryston Circle is the best thing about it. I hope that never changes. It's rarely boring.

D.D.

Well said D.D. and Bill  :thumb:

I enjoy the Bryston circle because of its diverse cornucopia of topics and the camaraderie that I harbour for our members - you can come here and just be yourself. I have never noticed any individuals being "holier than thou," "all knowing" or "snobbish" here.

Also on top of all of this, is James' awesome participation on this circle.

Win-win situation  :thumb:

And trust me on this one, there is absolutely nothing wrong about being different  :lol:

Be well... 

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:14 pm »
Amen to that! There have been many threads started here that have nothing to do with Bryston directly, but because (a) a member has an interest he or she wants to share a view or information and (b) if other members respond then the thread is given a kind of validity. If no one using the Bryston circle had been interested in Marius' topic, it would have faded quickly. In short, looking at topics it is easy to see that this circle is not subject to abuse and that topics are, thankfully, self-policed. In other words, let any member start any thread topic of his or her choice and let it ride without incivility, carping or overly zealous moderating.

As elegant as ever DaveNote  :thumb:  :D

Be well...

headshrinker2

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:55 pm »
(group hug)   :wink:

JfTM

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:33 pm »
I look at it, it looks worth a try.

But they won't download to Canada  :(

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:43 pm »
As elegant as ever DaveNote  :thumb:  :D

Thanks for the compliment, Landrew, but let me assure you that if I am guilty of any elegance it is purely accidental and strictly limited to text. Kind of like the person who has a good face for radio.

Dave
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2011, 03:49 pm by DaveNote »