AKSA 55 Nirvana Plus now available 24th April 2004....

AKSA

:rock:

Gang, it's finally ready.........  I'm very sorry for all the wait.

I've just finished the documentation, received sufficient bits for 15 kits, first up first serve (a few have advanced orders   :wink: ).

Price for upgrade from stock Nirvana (for existing holders only, not new sales) is $AUD160, otherwise, and including all Nirvana parts, the complete Nirvana/Nirvana Plus is $AUD330.

I believe people will be thrilled with this upgrade;  it really is the goods, and I'm well pleased.  Almost every aspect of the sonics has been improved.  And it's been an interesting journey!    :banghead:

My thanks to the many people in my home town who helped by 'lending me their ears', particularly Simon and Rick.  Their input has been invaluable in this difficult, subjective area of sonic sculpture.    :beer:

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2004, 10:12 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Congratulations!  :beer:

I know that the path to this point has been long and dusty and that sourcing has not been easy.

You can write me up for a Plus upgrade at once - already have the Nirvana.

I am absolutely confident that this will bring my trusty 55 N to new heights!  :mrgreen:

Looking forward to receiving the stuff!

Cheers,

kyrill

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2004, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Jens
Hi Hugh,

. . .
I am absolutely confident that this will bring my trusty 55 N to new heights!  :mrgreen:               . . .

Cheers,

Yes you can, that I am sure of.
Kyrill

I ordered one as well. My trusty old 55 is just one week old in playing, my case is not finished yet

Rocket

aksa upgrade
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2004, 12:00 am »
Hi Kyrill,

I would wait six months before installing it if i was you.

That way you can have a useful upgrade in the future
:).

regards

rod

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2004, 12:06 am »
Rod, Kyrill,

There is some sense in this.

You don't want to take your anti-virals all at once;  you only knock out the symptoms for a few weeks!   :lol:

After that you get very sick, and need more medication......... :(

We can never get away from the fact that audiophilia nervosa is a virulent, viral infection, and we all suffer.  I must say after this latest effort I feel quite satisfied, but very run down...  (Sorry about the black humor, is there any other kind??    :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Hugh

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2004, 02:22 am »
Hugh
 I think you left out a few words like; junkie, fix, cold turkey & withdrawls.:lol:

I on the other hand will wait patiently for the 100n upgrade..."I CAN DO IT"!!! :o

Martin

kyrill

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2004, 12:22 pm »
Nay..
Listening to the best available (within limits)  AND knowing that you have (for now) the best (no easy or fast way to improve) let me also accept  that I have done my best . This way I can accept what I hear, I can accept the context, and I can accept what i have put in the situation, in a sense accepting myself.  Three times normal satisfaction  :mrgreen:

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2004, 01:30 pm »
Quote from: Martin
Hugh
I on the other hand will wait patiently for the 100n upgrade..."I CAN DO IT"!!! :o

How can you be so patient?  I'm chanting... 100 plus! 100 plus! 100 plus!!!!!

Oh yeah... and "Make it cheap!" "Make it cheap!"  :lol:

I was on the brink of selling my AKSA for various reasons and decided to wait for the upgrade.  I just have to see what it does.  However, patient I am not.  

If the AKSA does a little better job on finesse after the upgrade, it'll be everything an amp can be.

-C

Rocket

hi
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2004, 11:34 pm »
Hi,

Let's face it we are addicted to this hobby :( .

Hugh, can you put me down for a 100 nirvana plus when it is ready.  Although i had a listen to my system last night and it sounded pretty damn good.

regards

rod

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2004, 11:47 pm »
Thanks Guys,

- for the votes of confidence!  I appreciate it;  this is a lonely business, but although I seem to be constantly stretched, I love it....

The 100W N+ is coming along, I have a few niggles, but I'm on the way.

Cheers,

Hugh

dogears

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2004, 12:09 pm »
This is indeed a great news for AKSA owners  :hyper:  and future customers.

It might be lonely for you but I assure you that you've made your mark in the audio world  :wink:

:beer:
cheers,
moises

armstrg3

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2004, 11:00 pm »
Can someone help?

I'm extremely interested in building the AKSA 55 Nirvana plus upgraded amp BUT I'm a complete novice to a DIY amp and I am a little confused on EXACTLY what parts that I would need to order that is not included with the kit.  From the research that I have done it seems that there are many varibles to the quality of components that I could opt to use in the kit.  What I am looking to do is build a moderate to excellent quality kit.  

Would anyone be willing to advise/recommend what I would need?? :|

PSP

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2004, 02:13 am »
Hi armstrg3,
I'll be happy to help out.  Problem is, I'm making a mad dash for the plane in a few hours and I'll be out of town for a few days.  If someone else doesn't give you all the info you need, send me a message on Monday and I'll help you get started.

You have made an excellent choice, and you will have a world class amp when you are done.  

good luck,
Peter

EchiDna

« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2004, 02:24 am »
Quote from: armstrg3
Can someone help?

I'm extremely interested in building the AKSA 55 Nirvana plus upgraded amp BUT I'm a complete novice to a DIY amp and I am a little confused on EXACTLY what parts that I would need to order that is not included with the kit.  From the research that I have done it seems that there are many varibles to the quality of components that I could opt to use in the kit.  What I am looking to do is build a moderate to excellent quality kit.  

Would anyone be willing to advise/recommend what I would need?? :|

where are you in the world? that way a local can help you out with local sources ;-)

typically you need to buy a pair of torroidal transformers, a case, a power switch, power cable and a fuse holder... from memory, that is the lot as the rest can come direct from Hugh himself  :mrgreen:

the typical sources are listed by region on the aspen amps webpage here:
http://www.printedelectronics.com/contact/contact.html

GL!

AKSA

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2004, 10:49 am »
Hi Armstrg3,

I believe I answered your recent inquiry today, with sufficient information to make considered purchases.  Here's the information for the benefit of others;  this applies only to the 55W.  Transformers for the 100W are different, of course.

2 x 160VA 25-0-25Vac toroidal transformers (I suggest visiting the Avel Lindberg website at http://avellindberg.com/transformers/y23_range_specs.htm
(the one to get is Y236504) (Around $US85 for two)

4 x speaker binding posts (any quality item from Radio Shack;  choice not too important)  The best I've found come either from Carlton Bates http://www.carlton-bates.com, the Superior Electric BP30-2BR used on Cary amplifiers   (Around $US10.50 a pair, two required) or from North Creek Audio.

1 x enclosure.  Suggest the Par-metal 10-19143X steel/Al series, here under 10 series, products:  http://par-metal.com/
(Around $US65 delivered)

1 x IEC connector  (any quality item from Radio Shack, commonly available, make sure it's fused)  (Around $US5)

Rubber feet for the enclosure (also Radio Shack)  (Around $US4)

Internal wiring for power supply to modules, modules to speakers, I suggest 15A auto hookup wire, you will need 2 feet each of red, black, green and blue.  Any auto electrician is fine for this material;  stranded, high purity copper with a tough PVC insulation is all that's required.
(Around $US2.50)

This is the complete list.  Aspen supplies all pcbs, power caps, signal caps, resistors, solder, heatsink paste, heatsink, semiconductors, even RCA panel mount sockets and CAT5E teflon wire for the signal transfer. That's the lot!  You may want to think about a volume control if you wish to use the amp as an integrated;  otherwise the volume function is controlled from a preamp or indeed from the CD/DVD player.

Presently I'm experiencing component delivery problems from Japan, and the power supply filter caps will be delayed for the Nirvana Plus upgrade.  However, with minimal alteration they can be swapped out later, giving you the real opportunity to compare anyway (United ChemiCons are supplied standard).  So I have stock for all but the filter caps on the Nirvana Plus;  all other components are in stock.

All prices on the website:  http://www.aksaonline.com/buying/buying_price.html

However, any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Hugh