what is that brass thing

rcag_ils

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: what is that brass thing
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2011, 12:27 am »
It is a clamp to better fix the piece, other hypotesis is a resonance reducer.
If this were a Variac transformer, this round golden piece could be a control knob.

Do you know If this clamp is a aftermarket part or it is a factory item??

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2011, 02:26 am »
Did Frank put it there? I thought those toroidal transformers didn't vibrate much at all.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2011, 04:09 am »
AVA did not put a hunk of brass on top of the transformer.

It looks similar to those used to "isolate" the chassis.  Maybe from Mapleshade.

Regards,
Dean

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2011, 11:31 am »
Still, two Ultra 350s, an Insight Phase Inverter, and Ultra Preamp for $2100 sounds like an incredible deal!!!

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2011, 02:05 pm »
"That brass things" certainly are not ours, nor are the audiophlake grade fuses.  I certainly hope they did not use slow blow fuses where quick blow types are specified or vice versa.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Brett Buck

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2011, 04:16 pm »
"That brass things" certainly are not ours, nor are the audiophlake grade fuses.  I certainly hope they did not use slow blow fuses where quick blow types are specified or vice versa.

In fairness, the voice coil would yield first, thus saving their $500 cryo-treated good-sounding fuses from damage!  You gotta think like an audiophool to truly understand their genius.

Brett

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2011, 09:16 pm »
"...the audiophlake grade..." ... Frank, I LOVE it!   :lol:  I call myself an audiofool and try NOT to take this obsess...er...hobby too seriously, but I've not seen that before.  I'll borrow it if you don't mind.

Maybe the brass thing is the seller's equivalent of my damping bars with Herbies' GrungeBuster dots?

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm »
Maybe the seller was using a piece of bass tubing/bar stock to elevate the unit so he could take a better angled picture of it.

Many people here jumping to some pretty far out conclusions, IMHO.

Get a life.

rcag_ils

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm »
The brass bar in the middle front under the unit may not be the best spot for it, it might have dented the bottom. He might have had an extra brass and didn't know where to put it, so he set it down in the center of the power transformer, forgot about it, then took the picture.

But the one on top of the transformer has a different look from the rest of the brass feet, it has a flange of some sort toward the bottom of the brass. If it's the case, I hope he remembers to take it out before he put the cover back on and ships it to the next lucky winner. Or I hope the next lucky winner will check this thread before he plugs it in.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2011, 12:42 am »
Maybe the seller was using a piece of bass tubing/bar stock to elevate the unit so he could take a better angled picture of it.

Many people here jumping to some pretty far out conclusions, IMHO.

Get a life.

Jeeze, Wayner; singing the That Time of Month blues?  :D

The OP specifically asked about the brass lug "in the center of the transformer". Not many far out conclusions that I can see...