AVA Line Driver

WEEZ

AVA Line Driver
« on: 24 Apr 2004, 02:02 am »
I have a question re; the line driver.

My current amplifier has (1) tape loop and I have a tape recorder connected in this loop. ( I don't know if it's a buffered loop or not, but I've experienced no problems ).

If I want to add a CD recorder to my system, the addition of the AVA Line Driver wouldn't really add a second "loop", would it? It would only allow me to add a second record output- meaning that I could only listen to one of the recorders, not both, right?

I realize that AVA pre-amps have (2) record loops- one of the many reasons I am considering a T5- but as an intermediate measure- I would like an explanation of how I might use use the line driver.

Thanks for any info. The info I've received here re: impedence matching and cables  :roll:  have been very helpful to me. I sincerely appreciate any comments as far as impedence considerations w/ the line driver, also.

best regards,

WEEZ

orthobiz

AVA Line Driver
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2004, 11:58 pm »
If I remember correctly, don't you have a Transcendence preamp? If so, for much less than the cost of the separate chassis line driver, Frank can probably mod your own preamp and add the buffered tape section. Add in the cost of cables and another thing to plug into the wall, you're talking about a significant savings. And probably sounds better hotwired in place...

biz

WEEZ

AVA Line Driver
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2004, 12:53 pm »
orthobiz,

no-- don't have an AVA pre- yet, but considering a T5.

I was thinking that the line driver would get me by (maybe) as an intermediate step for my recording needs, then I could still use it in another system later on.

It looks like a useful device for possible long cable runs, etc. too-- but I'm not sure I understand how it works, exactly.

Therefore, my question.

(your point about having the buffered tape outputs in the pre is a good one. for $139, it's a good option, I think)

WEEZ