RM 10 fuse problem

banquo446

RM 10 fuse problem
« on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:40 am »
The right channel on my rm10 mk2 seems to have bit the dust. Worked fine yesterday but when I turned it on today got nothing from my right speakers. Swapping the speakers connections in the back of the amp, gave me back sound to the right speaker but nothing from the left. I swapped out different output tubes but the problem persisted. Taking bias of the right side tubes gives me a reading of zero. ...

I just checked the manual and it appears as if the 160mA fuse is blown.

So, the question now is where to get a replacement and how to do the actual replacement. I did a Google search but couldn't find the one the manual mentions: Wickmann No. 19181-030. 

A different question is why did this happen? The amp is less than a year old. 
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2011, 06:39 am by banquo446 »

pehare

Re: rm 10 problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:07 am »
contact Sal at RAM Labs & he'll quickly send you some replacement fuses.  your amp should have come w/a couple extras & a manual?  My bet is your amp had that problem because of rolling some different output tubes which were not appreciated by the amp.  The right channel fuse holder is located on the top chassis right behind the power tubes (black plastic slotted lid).  Use a small screwdriver in the slotted lid & press in slightly while turning counterclockwise & it'll pop up & come out.  Definitely use the OEM fuses or you're asking for more trouble.  Easy fix.  I had similar a similar problem when trying a matched quad of the Gold Lion reissues.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 01:17 pm by pehare »

banquo446

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:10 pm »
Thanks Pehare. I bought my amp used (3 months) and I guess the guy didn't include the extra fuses. 

I hope it's not the tubes, NOS GE's I got from Vintage tube services, since I really like their sound. They're basically new (around 150 hours) and should have been well matched by Andy. I also have the Gold Lion reissues. They posed no issues for me, but I guess there's variability in their quality?

banquo446

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:53 pm »
Damn. I just tried removing the fuse and as I turned the screw on the lid the entire black tube rotated. Nothing popped up so I continued to jiggle it and pulled the entire tube almost out---I can see wires connected to the bottom of it. I figured subsequently that, to remove the fuse, I should have rotated just the inside circle of the fuse box.

So, now I can replace the fuse (I'm waiting for Roger or Sal or whoever to contact me) but the black tube won't sit firmly in its slot anymore. There are threads around the box but I don't believe they thread into anything. Is this dangerous? The left side fuse box is by contrast immobile. How is it so firmly seated?   

pehare

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm »
sorry to hear of your trouble....that's why you press in slightly while you turn counterclockwise.  First time I replaced a fuse I had to figure that out for myself as the manual doesn't make that clear.  When I first tried to turn it left I felt resistance & didn't force it.