My Streaming Server Setup...

audioseduction

My Streaming Server Setup...
« on: 9 Oct 2011, 08:29 pm »
Will, my goal was to configure a streaming music server/External DAC which equal or better my Stand alone Esoteric X-03SE CD player for Red Book playback.  I strongly feel that I have achieved the goal, in fact the music server edged ahead just a bit in a wider sound stage, more extended highs without the edginess but still organic like. Mid range just to die for. Bass plays back with authority, control and slam. The noise floor is very black like a bottomless pit.  It also provides a better 3D holographic sound field which is very cool. Vocalists are very realistic and natural sounding and much more! This is also only playing at 16bit/44.1kHz sample rates. The music server is the little black box on top center.

I truly feel the heart of the streaming play back system is the DAC. It’s extremely important to provide the server the best audio file format you can to take the most advantage of your DAC.  I rip to FLAC lossless uncompressed format and store the files on a 3TB NAS which is automatically backed up. Software I use for ripping is dBpoweramp. The software on the MS  is Jriver Media Center 16.  I have the software audio output set to play Wasapi - Event Style. The MS is connected to the DAC via Bel Canto USB Light Link 24/96 with max sampling rate of 24bit/96kHz.  Even at 16bit/44.1kHz it sounds glorious!  Between the DAC and Pre I use the fully balanced XLR interconnects. I have not yet compare the SACD playback but will do soon. The DAC I chosen is the Bel Canto 3.5VB.  I love it when a plan comes together!

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 07:16 pm by audioseduction »

Big Red Machine

Re: My Streaming Server Setup...
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm »
Yeah, welcome to streaming over CDP as a source!!  I agree, even some 44.1 stuff sounds awesome.  Funny how some of it is okay and some of it is almost at the 24 bit level to your ears.

Love your dedication to quality - 2 BPT's, the 150 lb. Pass amps, the $150 each multi-element shelves in the Adona racks.

audioseduction

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2011, 12:13 am »
Thanks for the compliment. I have 2 dedicated 20amp circuits.  I’ve setup the BPT’s so I have one plugged into each circuit.  Then I plug one mono block amp to each BPT’s.  I then split the rest of the equipment between the 2 BPT’s.  Each BTP’s regenerates the power and provides continuous power of 20amps and peaks of 60amps. That's like having 120amps of peek power when you need it.  WOW! There’s nothing like having perfect virgin clean power 24/7! The hell with the local utilities duty power.  :lol:

audioseduction

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:55 am »
Here's my current signal path for the music server...

FLAC stored on Western Digital NAS --> LAN --> PC with Windows 7 Pro/JRiver Media Center 16 --> Cardas Lightning 15 Digital RCA Interconnect --> bel canto DAC3.5VB/VBS1 Power Supply --> NORDOST BALDUR XLR Interconnects --> Pass Labs xp20 Pre --> Pass Labs xa160.5 Mono Blocks--> Tara Labs ISM The One Speaker Cables --> Martin Logan Summit X speakers

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2011, 02:05 am »
I gotta try ML speakers someday, little ones that will fit in my tiny room, they look so cool all the time. Do you need like a crane to move those components around?? LOL..wow...I have no idea what they all are, although I recognize the names, it must sound excellent and I think you'll find out like I did pretty soon they all just sound like really excellent recordings regardless of bit rate etc...the 44.1 stuff sound wise is getting so good, just makes the stuff I did back in the day sound like a plastic POS radio from a junk yard. Enjoy!!!!! :thumb:
 You don't live near Philadelphia area do ya??? LOL

audioseduction

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:15 pm »
Nope, I reside in Florida. The 44.1 stuff do sound AWSOME!  It's amazing how much more detail I hear from streaming compare to red book CD playback on the Esoteric. Amps have not been moved since placed there.  Them may just set right there for ever.  Thses are for life amps.