Bi-amping question

ultrachrome

Bi-amping question
« on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:42 pm »
I have a pair of gainclones (non-inverted LM3875) and I wanted to play with bi amping.  One of them has boutique resistors the other one doesn't.  There seems to be better sound quality from the boutique one but to be honest I have done any exhaustive A/B'ing.  So assuming one is a little better than the other, which one goes on the tweeter and which one goes on the woofer?

I'm currently using an AKSA 55 amp and contemplating replacing it or supplementing it with either an AKSA 55 or 100.  I thought I would play with my gainclones first.

Thanks

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Well
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2004, 03:14 pm »
The jury might be heated on this subject.  My 2c....

Put the better quality amp on the tweeters.

Dave

ultrachrome

Bi-amping question
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2004, 09:49 pm »
Along those lines, I have an AKSA 55W amp powering the speakers.  I'm getting the feeling that I may want more power.  How much power do the 1801B's really benefit from in a 15 * 22 foot room?

stvnharr

Bi-amping question
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2004, 04:30 am »
Some 2c:
Seems relatively simple to try the different combo's and decide what sounds best.
That being said, I'm sure you are aware that the Aksa is a superior amp to the chip amps, especially when it comes to low end response and driver control.
I run a pair on mono Aksa 55N+'s into 2.5way W18's+OW1.   The speakers are 4R and I have plenty of power and sound in a room that is a bit smaller than yours.
The 1801's, being 8R, do like a bit of power, but I used to run a pair w/ a 60W tube amp, and power didn't seem to be an issue.

ultrachrome

Bi-amping question
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2004, 05:07 pm »
I agree, the chip amps do not sound as good as my AKSA which I was very pleased to discover.  I spent significantly more time and money building the AKSA than building two pairs of chip amps.  I'm happy to see that it was well spent.

What types of biamping are people doing with the 1801's?  Any one using active crossovers?

Al Garay

Bi-amping question
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2004, 03:52 am »
I have a set of 100Watt  monoblocks, one for each channel. I would keep the 55Watt AKSA, upgrade to the Nirvana if you have not done so, and use it to drive the tweeters.

Al