SP-3 Feedback

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
SP-3 Feedback
« on: 7 Oct 2011, 04:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

Have a few SP-3's in the market now and starting to get some feedback - will post here as they come in.  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: SP-3 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm »
Memo: Bryston Dealer Feedback
Subject: NEW SP-3 Preamp/Processor

Sent: October-07-11 1:11 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP3

Hi James,

I just wanted to give you some feedback on my new SP3 that arrived.

First off, let me thank you for the unit. I know that there are many on back order and to be included in the first shipment is an honor. Now for my impression: In the worlds of John Belushi in Animal House, "Holy Shit"  … This thing is amazing!

When I recall the SP 1 SP 1.7 and the SP2, I remember subtle but noticeable improvements from generation to generation.  But now comes this new 3U behemoth.  Truly a work of art, well worth the 3 year wait while it was perfected.  This unit is not just a slightly improved SP2- it is a new force to be reckoned with. 

First, the sound is INCREDIBLE.  Just when I thought my PMC MB2 XBD Active (Bryston 4B x 1 and 7B x 2 per channel) LCR and active PMC inwall Wafer 2 with Bryston 10B LR with PMC SB100x2 in rear could reveal no more, you Canadians have exceeded my expectations.  But I have come to expect that from you. The new SP3 is so dynamic, so lifelike, I am in disbelief. Are my ears deceiving me?  No.  The SP3 has taken it to a new level. One that I never dreamed existed.   Powerful and dynamic. Delicate, revealing every nuance in the soundtrack. Wow!

Second, the build is , well lets say its Bryston.  Beautiful. Elegant.   The fit and finish is right on, but not overdone.  "inconspicuous consumption" comes to mind.

Third, functionality is great. All the control you need and then some. I particularly appreciate the auto save feature in the set up so I don't forget to save the setting I just adjusted.  And discrete set up setting for each input are a nice feature for those multipurpose rooms. RS 232 serial and TCP IP are sure to make integration a snap.

In summary, I must admit I was wondering what was taking you guys so long to get this unit out. I was fatigued at seeing it for the last couple of years at shows wondering if it was being shelved for new audio formats and D/A converters. But now that I have the SP3 in my system, I understand what took so long.  Products like this don't just build themselves.  It takes smart people who have a passion for what they do and years of hard work to culminate in a product such as this.

If I ever forget why I used Bryston in all of my Hi End theater installs, I have yet another reminder. The SP3.

Thanks to all of those who made this unit possible.

David SIlvestri
Designed Audio Video Environments

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:37 pm »
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP-32

Hi James,

Got my SP3

I think that I may divorce my wife and marry the SP3! LOL 

Really love it. Thanks

D.E.

saveloy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:35 pm »
James, excellent!  Another (unsurprisingly) excellent product. 

I've found myself peering over towards the SP3 lately.  And away from the possible purchase of a BP26.  This is the kind of trickery that sucks all sign of life from my bank account!

Kyri

ralph1950

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:07 pm »
Patiently waiting!!!!!
The reviews from new owners sounds like the SP3 will be a big winner!  As long as it took in R&D, it will probably be perfect!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:35 pm »
From another dealer and customer.

Sent: October-18-11 11:22 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: SP3

What a piece of shit……….just kidding! …bet you cursed at me before you got to the 5th word??? LOL

Amazing sounding it was, very open and quieter than the SP2. Am I right? …has the noise floor been lowered?

I brought my BluRay player over to my customers home and we compared it to a computer based set up as well as a $250 player, and the picture and sound were better through the Sony BDP5000 by far in both cases but less so with the computer feed. I can’t tell you why but we both saw & heard it instantly.

We didn’t watch a movie per say, but when I used the analogue output from my BluRay into the 5.1 bypass, sounds like gun shots and explosions were noticeably more dynamic.

Anyhow, I’m really impressed with the clarity of the sound. Are you sure there’s no change in the analogue stage?

I want one! …when I can afford it?

Gary

PS - The large numeric volume scale was great to see, and the unit also looked fantastic matching symmetrically with the 7B’s and 3B on each side of this customers’ set up!

I also would add  “very open with really smooth highs…”

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2011, 05:39 pm by James Tanner »

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm »
Is the SP-3 on the Bryston website  yet?   Will it be able to decode DSD from SACD's over HDMI?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:47 pm »
Is the SP-3 on the Bryston website  yet?   Will it be able to decode DSD from SACD's over HDMI?

Hi,

Should be up soon as we are working on a new website - yes it will decode DSD as PCM 88.2.  if you are referring to the new system that DCS is promoting then no.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:16 pm »
From another dealer and customer.

We didn’t watch a movie per say, but when I used the analogue output from my BluRay into the 5.1 bypass, sounds like gun shots and explosions were noticeably more dynamic.

James, I am not sure what to make of this line, it implies that the analogue outs from a Blu-ray player are doing a better job than when using the DACs on the SP3? Or have I miss read it?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:20 pm »

James, I am not sure what to make of this line, it implies that the analogue outs from a Blu-ray player are doing a better job than when using the DACs on the SP3? Or have I miss read it?

Cheers

Nope you did not misread - his opinion - there are lots of them in the naked city  :thumb:

James

Alpha10

« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:27 pm »
Nope you did not misread - his opinion - there are lots of them in the naked city  :thumb:

James

Thank you James, honest as ever  :thumb:

I get to play with an SP3 for the first time on the 30th Nov and I just cannot wait  :inlove:

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:29 pm »
Thank you James, honest as ever  :thumb:

I get to play with an SP3 for the first time on the 30th Nov and I just cannot wait  :inlove:

Cheers

Great - is it a special evening at the dealers?

James

Alpha10

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:31 pm »
Great - is it a special evening at the dealers?

James

That is right, I think they will be showing off the new PMC twenty series as well on the end of the SP3/9BSST2. I am going to get some alone time with the SP3 before everyone else turns up

Cheers