norh 4.0 tweeter question

jptang

« on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:57 pm »
Maybe Mr. Barnes can resolve this for me?

I purchased a pair of 4.0 speakers in walnut and the SE9 amp. I seriously doubt a better basic system can be had for just under $800 and I congratulate Mr. Barnes and nOrh for their design innovation and product quality.

My question is, what tweeter is being used in the 4.0 ????

I'm confused because the TNT Audio review of the 4.0 in ceramic describes the speaker as utilizing a VIFA tweeter. Yet the VIFA web site shows no tweeter capable of fitting into the small socket provided on the 4.0, especially a wood 4.0. VIFA tweeters all seem to have substantial frame and magnet assemblies unsuited for placement in a small "eyeball".

Regardless of its origin, I am surprised that the tweeter is so capable, given the fact that it obviously does NOT have a large magnet which one usually associates with a high end tweeter.  Yet it sounds great, perfectly matched to the woofer. Maybe it is just a cheap, generic tweeter? Regardless, maybe by use of a well suited crossover, it still manages to dazzle.

Thanks Michael if you are out there.

I'm completely happy with the 4.0 in every respect, and I have never said that about any of the many other speakers I've owned, dating back since my hifi obsession began in the 70s.  I will likely purchase a pair of 5.1 for my much larger den. Does it utilize the same drivers as the 4.0?

I have also been shamelessly bragging about this little set up to friends and family, as a result several other purchases have been generated, including an order from an acquaintance in texas just yesterday for the same SE9 and 4.0 system.... if I were smarter I'd negotiate a commission from Mr. Barnes!

PATRICK TANG
Hercules, CA

Bryan

« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2004, 08:15 pm »
It is the Vifa D20NC05/06 tweeter.

jptang

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2004, 08:47 pm »
thanks bryan !

Bryan

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2004, 06:49 pm »
You're welcome!

rblnr

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2004, 04:13 pm »
On this subject, has anyone replaced a tweeter in a 4.0 ceramic?  Just blew one in rehooking up the speakers -- the digital amp I'm using defaulted to a very high output after being off for some months -- bam.

Advice appreciated.

Also, can't seem to find a Vifa 20nc05/06 anywhere -- just see a 26NC.  Any ideas?

PJ

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2004, 12:57 am »
You should email nOrh directly.

rblnr

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2004, 01:28 pm »
Thanks PJ.  I did email them directly, and they said that the tweeter can be difficult to install.  I'm trying to avoid sending the drum back to Thailand though.

PJ

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2004, 05:21 am »
I wouldn't bother sending it back to nOrh. It may in fact be cheaper to buy a new one from them.

Shipping is expensive.