Cheap and Cheerful Speaker Stands?

Mass. Wine Guy

Cheap and Cheerful Speaker Stands?
« on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:13 am »
I saw these on A'gon and they seem ok. Does anyone know Paradigm speaker stands?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1321983328&/Paradigm-S-26-Black-Metal-Stan

TKonrad.NOLA

Re: Cheap and Cheerful Speaker Stands?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:05 am »
Audio Advisor has the Pangea stands for $99.  I just ordered a pair

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS03

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:14 am »
Please not: the babe is not included.  :lol:

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:04 am »
The Pangeas look good, but I don't think I want spikes sticking up into my speakers.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:20 am »
Hey Guy,
The Ascend Acoustic
 stands are freaking awesome especially when filled with sand!
The best part is that they are $140

Excuse a bit of sand dust!!!  8)
All the best,
Tom

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:51 am »
The Pangeas look good, but I don't think I want spikes sticking up into my speakers.

the spikes are optional.  you can choose to NOT use them.  there are also rubber bumpers are you can use Blue Tack.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2011, 03:29 am »
Make your own, there are lots of simple plans on the net.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:35 am »
Ok, thanks. What about the original question concerning the Paradigms?

walkern

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:44 pm »
I work for a small hi fi shop, and we sell Paradigm speaker stands.  They are nicely put together, and you can (as noted in the ad) fill the legs with sand or a combo of sand and lead shot, but you must first plug the hole at the bottom of one of the legs (they are designed so you can feed your speaker wire through a hole in the back of one leg, and down to the bottom, to keep it neat and tidy).  Also, the stands do retail for $150 for the pair, so if you can buy them for significantly less, go for it!  They come with spikes (for the bases) that you can leave off if you are using the stands on a wood floor.  They also come with small triangular pads that fit in the corners of the top plates.  These too you can leave off (they are self adhesive, but you can scrape them off if they have already been attached) and use blu tack if you wish to help anchor your speaker to the top plate.  The 26" height is one of 3 versions... they also have a 22" height, and had (but just discontinued) a 30" height version.  The taller the version, the smaller the top plate.  If the manufacturer of your speakers recommends a 26" height stand, the Paradigms will work great without costing an arm and a leg.

Neil

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:56 pm »
Thank you so much, Neil. Is it hard to plug the hole to put in sand?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm »
In the spirit of cheap and cheerful are these DIY sand filled TNT Stubby's. They are black spray painted PVC with MDF tops and bottoms with a threaded rod through the center. I used cheap quarter round molding on the edges to add some interest. The materials to make two were no more than $20. Google for instructions.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm »
Thanks, Poultry. I'll look, but I am a total klutz when carpentry is needed.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: 4 Oct 2011, 11:56 pm »
Home Depot will cut the wood or MDF to your specs as long as you buy it there. They'll probably even cut the PVC as well. No skills required to make these stands.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/stubby_e.html

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #13 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:39 am »
Thanks, but I mean REALLY a klutz with carpentry. I don't know countersinks from counter tops. But I'll take a look.