Are there any classics too sacred to be remade?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:47 am »
I was, *ahem*, "discussing" Casablanca with my numb-nuts brother today:  he insists that anyone could make a better remake of that one than the original.  He went on to say "any hottie" would be a better Ilsa, and even was blasphemous to imply that it wouldn't be too hard to replace Bogey!  :o   :shake:

In my admittedly biased view, Casablanca is masterpiece- I can't fathom anyone playing Rick beside bogey, and how on Earth could you ever replace Claud Raines?  That was a perfect cast with a near perfect script.  I really don't think it could really be improved upon.

That leads me to wonder what you guys think of the remake fever that's gripped Hollyweird lately.  Every dogshit TV show from the sixties & seventies, every campy old POS gets remade (Starsky & Hutch, Charlies Angles, Lost in Space...could a big screen Knight Rider be far behind?).

Some remakes are actually better than the original.  The Italian Job comes to mind, and there are others.  But I wonder, what movies do you guys think are too 'sacred' to remake?  I remember the lambasting the director got for his shot-by-shot remake of Psycho, for instance.  I doubt many would wanna attempt to remake Citizen Kane, or Casablance.  What others are to sacrosanct to be monkeyed with?

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:49 am »
Gone with the Wind

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:50 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Gone with the Wind

I think that's basically been done. There was that remake/sequel not too long ago (kinda like El Mariachi & Desperado).

bubba966

Re: Are there any classics to sacred to remade?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:51 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
What others are to sacrosanct to be monkeyed with?

Robocop

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:04 am »
Interesting...I've never heard Robocop referred to as "sacrosact!"  :lol:  It is a good one, though.  Are you really saying, though, that it couldn't be remade?  I liked it but it was pretty cheesey- even the good actors seemed bad (a la 'Star Wars').

I can't imagine not having Peter Weller as RC, though.   :D

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:07 am »
So my idea of a classic that shouldn't be f'd with is Robocop (the X Rated cut), big deal.

It was screwed with enough to make it R Rated. Remaking it isn't going to improve on anything IMO....

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:08 am »
I might add Hard Boiled to the list as well...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:10 am »
Guess I didn't realize there was an X-Rated version...what, did Robocop pound his partner with his "robo-cock?"  :lol:

I imagine if they remade it today they'd used $85 mil worth of really bad CGI, so maybe there wouldn't be a point.  It just looks a little dated nowadays.

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:16 am »
Guess I didn't realize there was an X-Rated version...what, did Robocop pound his partner with his "robo-cock?"  :lol:

:roll: It would been for violence, not sex... :shake:

If you care to watch it, pick up a copy of the Criterion edition of Robocop. Definitely a better cut of the film.

I imagine if they remade it today they'd used $85 mil worth of really bad CGI, so maybe there wouldn't be a point.  It just looks a little dated nowadays.

The SFX still look pretty good. And that was 17 years ago.

Not to mention that I don't think it could be done with the same attitude that it was done with back then. No one I can think of has been able to duplicate Verhoeven's sense of humor. And even Verhoeven himself doesn't make movies like he used to... :cry:

The AFI thinks Citizen Kane if the best film of all time, I say it's the uncut version of Robocop. So sue me... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:23 am »
Brian, I think if we were sitting on the panel of the AFI the list would look a lot different!  8)   But I'd still have Casablanca high up the list.

If I had Bill Gates level money, I would have the first Highlander remade.  Now normally this would be too sacred to attempt, but I would have about 85% shot-by-shot homage to the original with a few minor changes (like cutting "don't move pal, don't even breathe"  :roll: ).  I'd also add a few more flashback scenes and another couple immortal fights.

It would only be worth doing if I could cast the following:

Vin Diesel as Kurgan
Ewen McGreggor as McCleod
Patrick Stewart as Ramirez

2nd teir but still important;

Jerry Orbach as the cop
Rhona Mitra as Heather

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2004, 03:51 am »
Hmm, a remake of Highlander huh?

I've not seen it in soooo long that I hardly remember any of it. So I can't comment much on your casting list. But I can say that Rhona Mitra is always a good choice... :wink:

A little info on the Criterion edition of Robocop
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=23

Which also happens to be the first DVD I ever bought (before I even had a player... :roll: ).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2004, 05:06 am »
That's funny- Highlander was my first purchase, also two or three months before I had a player.

hmen

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2004, 12:35 pm »
Citizen Kane

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:10 pm »
Quote from: hmen
Citizen Kane

That seems like the right answer since "Kane" is truly a classic and is often considered the greatest film ever.  But still it would be interesting to see it remade by a notable modern director (David Lynch would be my choice! :wink: ).
I KNOW "Kane" is a classic,  but I actually don't like it that much!  I realize that's blasphemy, but I'd much rather watch Levinson's "Avalon" or Coppola's "Conversation."  I know those movies won't rate anywhere near "Kane" on most peoples' lists, but I'd be much more likely to buy an "Avalon" or "Conversation" DVD than "Kane."

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:11 pm »
Blazing Saddles!

How could anyone remake that....

hmen

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:40 pm »
David Lynch remaking Citizen Kane would be like Osama Bin Laden rewriting the US Constitution.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2004, 05:33 pm »
Quote from: hmen
David Lynch remaking Citizen Kane would be like Osama Bin Laden rewriting the US Constitution.

C'mon, Lynch is merely offbeat, not evil.

hmen

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:50 pm »
I'm not saying Lynch is evil (although I felt that way after seeing his version of Dune). I just don't think he'd be the right man for the job.

dado5

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2004, 02:26 am »
I can think of a few:

Wizard of Oz

Singing in the Rain

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Sunset Strip

Citizen Kane

Dr. Strangelove

Any Disney animated film prior to 101 Dalmations

I am sure there are a few more I can think of, but these gems come to mind.  

Thanks,
Rob

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2004, 02:49 am »
Quote from: dado5

Dr. Strangelove

I actually think a Tim Burton attempt to remake this would be pretty good...!

The first one that came to mind for me was Star Wars...