Headphone suggestions @ $150

Pez

Headphone suggestions @ $150
« on: 2 Oct 2011, 06:20 pm »
Any recommendations in this price range. My cousin wants to get some Beats by Dre. I told him probably not a good idea. Any comments?  :wink:

roscoeiii

Re: Headphone suggestions @ $150
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2011, 06:44 pm »
What kind of music does the cousin listen to. Need sound isolation? Open backed headphones tend to sound better, but you lose the isolation of closed headphones....

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2011, 06:48 pm »
I suggested he look at the UE Triplefi 10s and he seems to like them. I have a pair and he actually listens to a lot of the same music I do. They are $210 right now on Amazon. I just would hate to see him fall victim to buying based on advertising and what all his friends think is good.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2011, 07:39 pm »
I have some UE700's that I got in a trade and they are now my go to earbuds. I think they are highly underated myself. I'd love to hear Triple Fi's and intend to get those in my next wave of mad earbud purchasing. If he'll do IEM's the 700's are a good buy. I bought some MEElectronics M9's for $15.00 last week and they sound excellent-tremendouse bang for the buck there.....There is a thread at head-fi by a guy named- jokerl- I think it is and he did like a review and charted them all out and I mean like ALL..he did easily 100 or more earbuds....

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2011, 08:27 pm »
So he wants IEMs? For IEMs, I'd honestly recommend that someone look into a custom version from one of the big companies out there (if they can push their budget that far)..really does make a good deal of difference vs. universals.  However, if he can't afford that (much more than $150, just saying because sometimes stretching one's budget is worthwhile)... for IEMs, I'd look at Ety ER4P or the UE Triple Fis...I bought a few on some big special a year or two ago...for $99. My ex gf loves them very much...a good deal at that price.

For actual headphones, I've been reading great things about the Senn HD25 1-ii (I think that's the model, I copied it into another thread)...amazon was having specials on them for $129...they stopped selling them for a bit because a couple of guys received a different model headphone (which were also worth way more than that price, but still...)...if they come back for sale at $129, based on what I've read I'd get those. For open phones, there are quite a few really good models. Someone looking into IEMs likely wouldn't be interested, I would guess.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2011, 08:42 pm »
Goldring DR 150 (retail $150).
I am not a head guy. I did pick these up on sale (less than $150) and like them very much for the price.

http://www.stereomojo.com/GoldringDr150headphonesreview.htm

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:01 am »
The Ultrasone HFI-580's deliver a nice bass (not bloated) with nice midrange and details. Cant go wrong with them.

Lyndon

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2011, 03:41 am »
I'm not much of a can man, either.
My first choice is my Sennheiser 650's, but they are heavy.

I've been tempted by the orthodynamic type, but sure don't want to plug down the admission price on those!
So, I've been sitting on the fence, waiting for the Fostex version to come back into stock at B and H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/281431-REG/Fostex_T50_RP_T50RP_Studio_Headphones.html

Whoa, there is a guy on head fi who does mods, but they are steep for a set of phones that start around $80. 
His price with the mods and the expensive woods for the cups is $475 and you buy the cans.  But they do look stunning.
I guess this stuff will all be at the RMAF at the CANAM room, you lucky @#$@#.  Be sure to drop in there, Pez and give us some reviews. I would like to hear those Audeze LCD-2's.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants#post_6774910
Lyndon

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2011, 05:18 am »
Any recommendations in this price range. My cousin wants to get some Beats by Dre. I told him probably not a good idea. Any comments?  :wink:
My nephew wanted the same ... I ended up getting these ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101XVH2

He is very happy ...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:11 pm »
My nephew wanted the same ... I ended up getting these ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101XVH2

He is very happy ...

They Beat the beats in every aspect. Wise choice man :)

tonycheung

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:49 am »
if he don't mind an open headphone, for general use I suggest Sennheiser HD598. They are easy to drive, versalite to music types.

For a portable hedphone you may try Sennhesier HD-25-1-2. They looks cheap but sound is great.

Other choices include hure SRH840 for pop/rock music.

Above headphones are easy to drive because you don't mention your friend has an amplifier.

mhconley

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:37 pm »
if he don't mind an open headphone, for general use I suggest Sennheiser HD598. They are easy to drive, versalite to music types.

I just bought these; they're great headphones but currently > $200.

For $150 I'd consider:

They are the headphones I considered before I decided I wanted open (I'll only be using them at home) and to increase my budget to $200.

Martin

keenween

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:06 pm »
I think vmoda makes some well reviewed phones in that price range, crossfade maybe?

ebag4

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:21 pm »
I bought my son the Vmoda M80s ($200) for Christmas, they are on-ear units and didn't have quite enough bass for him, I thought they sounded pretty great.  We returned those and bought the Vmoda LPT2 (also $200) over the ear phone, he loves them.  They have a little more bass than the M80s but don't seem to loose much if anything across the rest of the spectrum.  He is a HS Wrestler and most of his team mates (lots of time waiting between matches) went with the Beats, I listened to them and they seem veiled in the mid and highs in comparison to the Vmodas, he thought so as well.  Yes the beats have great (exaggerated IMO) bass, but the Vmoda has excellent bass that sounds more natural to me.  I am not a headphone guy FWIW.

Best,
Ed

Netdewt

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:26 pm »
Grado Grado Grado.

I've got my eye on some of those Fostex T50RP's also.

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2012, 05:09 pm »
Sorry guys, don't know if you saw, but this thread was from October.  :o A little late to the punch. Lil bastard bought the Dr Dre headphones.  :duh:

tjohnusa

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2012, 11:31 pm »
Well....at least he's cool

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2012, 02:15 am »
Sorry guys, don't know if you saw, but this thread was from October.  :o A little late to the punch. Lil bastard bought the Dr Dre headphones.  :duh:

Hey!

Ouch! Look like Dr. Dre is laughing all the way to the bank and Noel Lee can pimp out another Segway now :lol:

Well....at least he's cool

You're right about that one. Imagine he wearing Grado? His friends will like... Grado who? :lol:

Honestly I've never heard them in my own system but have seen and tried one at a store. Nothing special just a waaaaay over priced product. How sad that those people who bought them could have a much better headphone for much lower price  :cry:

So, anyone here actually tried out any Beats headphone in your own system? I'm curious  :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2012, 05:04 pm »
Tyll's Monster Beats review.  The video is priceless!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-solo

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:11 pm »
I have the T50RP as well and for the price point, they sound
pretty good.  They require a decent amp to sound their best
and are a bit laid back in the mids/highs...but then, I don't like
the bright/crisp sound that some prefer.   My Sennheiser HD650's
sound better...but there is quite a price differential.
Hibuck....