Review - RIDGE STREET AUDIO POIEMA (IMPROVED) INTERCONNECT

Lak

REVIEW RIDGE STREET AUDIO POIEMA (IMPROVED) INTERCONNECT

I first heard and wrote a review about the Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition (MSE) Interconnects and Speaker Cables in May of 2003.  This was followed up by a review of the MSE Gen. II Interconnects in August 2003, the MSE Gen. II Speaker Cables in October 2003, the MSE Gen. II Digital Link in December 2003 and the Ridge Street Audio Poiema Speaker Cable in February 2004.  Since that time, Robert C. Schult, proprietor/designer, has developed what he considers his most revealing interconnect and speaker cable named Poiema.  I have had two pair of the improved Poiema interconnects in my system for two weeks and have been extremely impressed!  :mrgreen:

I thought the original Poiema interconnects sounded fantastic, I tried to imagine how Robert could improve the sound.  Technically speaking, I have no idea what Robert did.  However, I can definitely hear what I would call a 10% improvement in my tube and SS systems when using the Poiema interconnects compared to the improved Poiema interconnects.

Now comes the part that I find really interesting, not only is there a Poiema interconnect that is an improvement over the MSE Gen.II, but Robert has evolved the Poiema into what it has now become. This is an improvement over the original Poiema. It was explained to me (and this is an oversimplification on my part) as an evolution of the design, same materials just different amounts and proportions of material that significantly improves the signal thus yielding improvements in the areas listed below.

The improvement I heard while using the Poiema interconnects was in the following areas:

1) After carefully listening to my dozen or so audition CDs and a few LPs, I was amazed at the improvement within my system.  I noted more bass definition (which was crisper with more focus), additional 3-D imaging left to right as well as front to back, and additional extension and detail as if I was at a live performance.

2) Quieter background, which allows one to hear deeper into the recording.  This allows greater details to become more obvious.  I noticed richer-sounding and more articulate treble, mids, and astounding bass that I never heard that clearly before.

3) The music sounds even more lifelike, as if I was sitting in the same room with a live presentation.  Just as the MSE Gen. II interconnects and speaker cables are extremely smooth, fast, neutral, transparent, and allow one to hear deep within the music and convey the force, speed and robustness of a live performance, the Poiema speaker cables and interconnects do so to a greater extent.

The Poiema interconnects are very well engineered and constructed.  They are attractive to look at and are very flexible, and lightweight.  In addition, they have very easy-to-read, yet non-intrusive, directional arrows and are clearly marked “Poiema.”

In conclusion, I realize that audiophile component is system dependent, and what sounds good in one system doesn't always work well in another.  In this case, the Poiema speaker cable sounds excellent in my tube and solid-state systems, and I highly recommend you give it a try if you're in the market for a new speaker cable.  I don't think one could lose with a 30-day money-back return policy.  

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
Cardas Golden Reference IC’s and SC.
Maple Shade Clearview IC’s
Silver Audio Appassionata IC's and Silver Symphony 48 SC.
Bear Lab Silver Lighting IC and SC.
Granite Audio # 470 IC
Audience Au24 IC and SC
HMS Topline IC and SC (not the brand new ones they came out with recently).
Pure Note Epsilon Reference IC’s and S/C.

Componentry
First Sound Presence Audio Linestage I
CEC TL 5100 Belt Driven CD Transport
Dodson Audio Model DA-217 MK II D (software upgrade to the 218 and added a digital isolation transformer to coax-2 BNC input)
Cary 2A3 Monoblocks that sit upon SP 004 Sistrum Platforms including three direct coupled Audio Points
Optonica Turntable RP-1414 with Goldring 1042 cartridge
Audio Research PH1 phono preamp
Equi=Tech 2Q Power Balancer
Abby Speakers ported, modified Voight pipe with Fostex FE 166 E speakers
Sistrum Platform SP-1 used underneath the Abby speakers
Fostex T90A Horn Super Tweeter
Velodyne F-1200X Subwoofer with Bass Euphoria RAC interconnects
Bybee Quantum Force – single ended Interconnect Filters
Bybee Quantum speaker filters  
Ridge Street Audio Poiema Interconnects
Ridge Street Audio Poiema Speaker Cables
Ridge Street Audio MSE Tweeter and Woofer Hookup wire
Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Edition Gen. II Digital Link
Purist Proteus 20 Amp Power Cord for the Equi=Tech 2Q
HV Flavor 4 Cryo’d power cord on the Dodson and Transport
Original Black Mamba’s on the monoblocks
Jena Lab cryo’d power cord on the preamp
Audio Points under all componenty
Sistrum six shelf rack with top plate
Two dedicated Isolation Transformers 220/120 feeding dedicated subpanel
Custom Clear Image Audio T-4 Power Line Isolator
DeZorel Line Filter G2 used on digital equipment
Dedicated 20 Amp circuits with Wattgate 381, Furutech FP-2G, ACME Silver-plated (cryogenically treated), Hubbell 8300’s and 5362 (cryogenically treated) outlets.
DIY Room Lenses

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:46 am »
Lak,

How much?

Lak

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:20 am »
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1086593281

Reg $725
Sale$495 According to Roberts post above from Audiogon.

Jon L

Comparisons?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:24 pm »
It would help greatly if you could enumerate some differences compared to some other cables, such as the Silver Audio, HMS, or Audience.  Since most cable reviews contain the descriptions "neutral, transparent, etc," it's hard to REALLY get a feel for the sound without comparisons to others we know.  Please?

I also noticed your system lists
"Wattgate 381, Furutech FP-2G, ACME Silver-plated (cryogenically treated), Hubbell 8300’s and 5362 (cryogenically treated) outlets"

Is that Hubbell 5362 or IG5362?  I'm currently comparing double-cryo'd Hubbell IG5362 vs. ACME silver-plated cryo'd 20A outlet...

Lak

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 09:46 pm »
Jon L,
To be blunt, to the point, and save myself a lot of time (which I don’t have) the Poiema is dramatically better than all the interconnects I listed (in my opinion) in every way. I know that’s a big statement to make however if you’re in the market for something new, there is a 30-day money back guarantee. You have nothing to loose.
Lak

Lak

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:51 pm »
Jon L.
IMHO - The Poiema have a more natural presentation of the higher octaves and timbre as well as clearier details than the Audience Au24, more articulate mids and larger sound stage than the Pure Note Epsilon Reference (side note, I have not heard Pure Notes most recent interconnect), and better defined bass and imaging ability than the Cardas Golden Reference.  In all case scenarios the entire musical presentation is more "life like."