Flooring For Den/Office In Rental Property

John151

Flooring For Den/Office In Rental Property
« on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:27 pm »
I am looking for a low cost and durable flooring that would be suitable for a den in a rental property.  The renters are living in the house during the project, so I really don't want the noise or mess of hardwood.  I also don't want carpeting for a  number of reasons.  Would a wood laminate floor, such as Pergo, hold up well?  What about cork or bamboo?  Any other suggestions?   

tabrink

• lake life is good
Re: Flooring For Den/Office In Rental Property
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:37 pm »
John,
There are some vinyl "wood" look alternatives that do not scratch. dent or warp from moisture that could work  well. Easy install and no  noise, hammering or sawing. Just look for the more premium products as some come with a 30 year warranty.
Best,
Tom

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:52 pm »
I've been a property mgr for years & am always searching for flooring solutions in a rental property.

These days, the laminate 'wood look' plank flooring that snaps together (sold at Lowe's or HD) is nice...especially where moisture or pets are present.  My firm has been installing laminate for about 8 yrs and as long as its installed correctly we expect to get the estimated 20yr lifespan.  Many of the products have a 20+yr warranty.

pergo has stood the test of time, but its more expensive than other brands.  I'd put pergo in my home, like in a bsmt, but would use the standard laminate in a rental.

A few yrs ago I worked in the S. Side of chicago & took a difft route to achieve longevity.  We'd put VCT on 100% of the floors in some units.  Its impervious to most everything & can be sanded down like real wood floors after years of use.  VCT is most common in hospitals & schools. But, the look isn't what many desire in their homes & needs to be stripped/waxed 1x a yr or so to keep it looking best.  VCT stands for vinyl composition tile.

Every so often I meet with prospects at properties, and use this example:  If i were standing on carpet & dropped a glass of red wine or Kool-Aid, that 1 mistake would cost me hundreds, if not over $1000 dollars (to replace the carpet).  If i were standing on a laminate floor & did the same thing, the cost to me is a new glass & a paper towel.  The latter is much more palatable to renters who care about getting their security deposit back, and its less worry for pet owners & families w/small children.

I work for over 400 owners of small rental properties, and don't recomend buying carpet...except in bedrooms.  Even then its tough due to health issues associated with carpet.  In this day & age, with a rental, carpet is nearly a disposal/consumable...and that isn't right.  Its a more expensive merry-go-around than this hobby sometimes.   :lol:

matt

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2011, 03:59 pm »
Tom's comment about reduced noise, debris & dust is totally correct. 

Back in the day I had the pleasure of working with a large 100 yr old vintage bldg portfolio, all hardwood floors. We'd refinish 3-5000sf of floors each week. I probably still have the dust on some of my belongings! 

Every product type has pro's & cons, the laminate floors seem to even the score more than most, IME.  I hope the industry develops more 'green' laminates that prop mgmt firms can afford to use.  If not, laminate floors are the new vinyl siding.  (the one real downside, if you lean that way).

John151

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2011, 05:32 pm »
Just got back from Lowes.  They had a lower end Pergo (8 mm) that we liked for $1.79 per sq ft ($36.10 for 20.17 sq ft box).  This room is only 12x10, so with some waste, I will need 7 boxes: $252.7 plus tax.  Not too shabby.   Plus simple install. 

Still shopping......

nicksgem10s

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2011, 05:48 pm »
Hi John,

I am not an expert on the topic but wanted to share my experience with laminate flooring.

I researched laminate flooring options to death when we bought our home about 6 years ago. 

Our home still had the original linoleum floors in very good condition but dated.  It was one of the first things we wanted to upgrade.

We settled on Dupont Real Touch Elite laminate flooring from Home Depot.  It was very easy to install and we are thrilled with the results.  We went with the Cherry Block version.  It already has the underlayment attached so it is quiet and one step installation.

I have to say I am more than impressed with the durability.  Each time I clean it and look at it I am amazed how good it still looks.  I have dropped many heavy objects and can't remember a scratch or dent anywhere on the flooring.

Many visitors have complimented the flooring.  This was my first real home improvement project and it was a real success.  My stepdad helped me get started and also let me borrow some of his power tools.

I would use it again if I was installing more laminate flooring.  I can't remember the cost but it looks like it is a current product at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Laminate-Flooring/Flooring-Laminate-Flooring/DuPont/h_d1/N-5yc1vZare1Zare1Z393/R-100064694/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Not sure if that link will work or not but figured I would try.

Good luck with the project.

-Nick

John151

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:05 am »
Thanks for the info guys!  Much appreciated.

Also considering this bamboo product:  http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Bamboo-Flooring/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbrfe/R-100497047/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Does anyone have experience with bamboo flooring? 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:16 am »
If you look on the hardness scale it is not as hard as oak or maple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test.  More interesting than the wood species (mind you bamboo isn't technically a wood) is the finish on the wood.  The better pre-finished woods will have a finish containing aluminum oxide which is the same component as the wear layer of laminate flooringhttp://learn.builddirect.com/laminate-flooring/how-laminate-flooring-is-made/.  Installing  pre-finished wood flooring is comparable to installing laminate.

If you have good tenants I would definitely prefer wood over plastic looking laminate flooring.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:36 am »
Thanks for the info guys!  Much appreciated.

Also considering this bamboo product:  http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Bamboo-Flooring/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbrfe/R-100497047/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Does anyone have experience with bamboo flooring?

I did about 700 sq ft myself in my basement with 5/8" nail down bamboo from Lumber Liquidators, less than 2$/ft. We love the look and for the most part it is reasonably durable. I have it in my listening room so a lot of equipment gets moved around on it, but I have a 9x12 rug/heavy pad. It is definitely softer and scratches or dents if you drop stuff on it. For a main living area, especially with a big dog like mine, I probably wouldn't use it. For most low traffic areas I think it would be very nice.

Tom

John151

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm »
The floor is in!  I ended up purchasing from Costco - spent a total of $180 in materials.  The floor looks fantastic! I am extremely pleased with the results, however, I won't know for several years how well it holds up. 

Thanks to everyone for your input. 

srb

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2011, 12:22 am »
The floor is in!  I ended up purchasing from Costco

What material?  Bamboo like you were considering from Home Depot?

Steve

John151

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:43 pm »
I went with a laminte floor product made by Harmonics-flooring.  Here is a link to the exact product http://harmonics-flooring.com/products.cfm?item=2