Poll

The worst aspect of DVD playback

Macrovision protection
0 (0%)
Limited extra features such as subtitling
0 (0%)
Disappointing mastering from original source
1 (100%)
Must be mad, DVD is the best there has ever been!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: 2 May 2004, 09:56 pm

Switching DVD and other video sources without limits

Bemopti123

I do not know if you have experienced this, but I have a really low down TV set that accepts just one set of RCAs and one video in.  Therefore, I have to juggle the DVD through a VCR with AV jacks and then to the TV.  The problem now is that before, when I had a code free DVD player which is modded to by pass Macrovision, I used to be able to watch the DVD signal through the VCR and then to the TV without drawbacks, but now I have a Xbox taking up the same space and I am back experiencing macrovision darkening problems when watching a DVD movie.  

Is there any way I can defeat this without purchasing a new TV with multiple AV inputs?

I wonder whether I must be the only guy who has experienced this darkening effect.

bubba966

Switching DVD and other video sources without limits
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:16 am »
An RF Modulator (can be gotten at Rat Shack among other places for about $25) will usually take care of the Macrovision signal. At the very least it minizes it quite a bit if it doesn't kill it altogether.

I disabled the Macrovision circuit on my Pioneer DV-AX10. I don't run it through a VCR, but I don't like that it's on anyways. And I found that I actually got a better picture after disabling it. :mrgreen:

With all of the 'box hacks out there, you might get lucky and find one for disabling Macrovision.

bubba966

Re: Switching DVD and other video sources without limits
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 02:18 am »
Quote from: Bemopti123
I wonder whether I must be the only guy who has experienced this darkening effect.

And no, you're not...