Stand Alone Digital Media Player Help

DaveyW

Stand Alone Digital Media Player Help
« on: 27 Sep 2011, 11:43 am »
Hi All,

1st post here, normally loitering in the Vinyl Circle - looking for a bit of advice.

To play my WAV and MP3 audio files I had my PC linked to the Hi-Fi via a Digital Coax to a DAC on my CD Recorder.
This worked quite well for a while, but requires the PC to be fired up and not being used for anything much else.
Recently I moved the Hi-Fi away from the PC and have been looking for a convenient, alternative method to accessing and playing my digital media.
I don't want a streaming device as I don't want to have to fire up the PC every time I want to access my digital music.

I'd prefer a stand alone Hard Drive media player in my Hi-Fi rack, but have struggled to find something suitable.
The devices I find either rely on a TV as the interface (my Hi-Fi is a dedicated 2 channel system in a different room) or are all in one systems.

What I'm really after is a dedicated 250-500 Gig hard drive music player with a LCD screen interface. An in built Wi-Fi Internet radio would also be useful.

Is there such a thing?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

toddbagwell

Re: Stand Alone Digital Media Player Help
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2011, 12:08 pm »
I will recommend trying an olive music server. It can do the touch screen, has a hard drive and some models have wifi/ internet radio.

Todd

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm »
The Bryston BDP-1 does most of those things, though it does not have an internal DAC. The front panel display and control is basic, but it is usually controlled from iPod, iPad, or any web browser on a laptop.

DaveyW

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2011, 05:49 pm »
Thanks for the quick responses Gents.

The Olive looks closest to the sort of thing I'm after, but probably a little over spec.d for what I need.
Rightly or wrongly (OK wrongly  :duh:) I recorded many of my CD's as MP3's before selling them or giving them away - so no need for any form of Hi-Rez. I've already got a CD recorder and a reasonable CD player so not looking for another one.
Also even the lowliest 03HD goes for approx $1300 over here in the UK so pretty pricey for what I'm after.

So I'm left looking for something like the Olive without the CD recorder but possibly with an internet radio?

Is there an Internet Radio with a USB port to which I could plug in and access an external hard drive?

Regards
Dave

WC

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:00 pm »
Squeezebox touch with an external usb hard drive may work, but I have heard that the interface is a little buggy.

Denon and Pioneer have new music streaming components which allow you to connect up a USB drive also. Both have internet radio. Both will be around $500 or 400 of your pounds.

DaveyW

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:26 pm »
Thanks WC - Just had a look - that does look as though it might be an option.
Will look into this further  :thumb:

While you were responding I was doing a little more digging.

This looks pretty close too

Grace Internet Radio

Problem is that it only supports a 4gig SD card not an external hard drive.

Something like this with an in built Hard Drive is really what I'm after.

:scratch:

WC

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:29 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98860.0

This has some promise. Not sure where they are selling it other than Germany.

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:08 pm »
You can also check out the AURALITI PK100 it a distant cousin of the Bryston BDP but it includes both analog and digital outputs.  Requires a USB thumbdrive or HDD for storage and Ethernet connection for operation.  I believe it's around $700.   It should also include internet radio stations and you can probably use the PK100 as NAS device for your music much like what the Bryston BDP-1 does.      I have the BDP but not the auraliti, hopefully someone can pipe up about the features for it.

Jim

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:30 pm »
Hi All,

1st post here, normally loitering in the Vinyl Circle - looking for a bit of advice.

To play my WAV and MP3 audio files I had my PC linked to the Hi-Fi via a Digital Coax to a DAC on my CD Recorder.
This worked quite well for a while, but requires the PC to be fired up and not being used for anything much else.
Recently I moved the Hi-Fi away from the PC and have been looking for a convenient, alternative method to accessing and playing my digital media.
I don't want a streaming device as I don't want to have to fire up the PC every time I want to access my digital music.

I'd prefer a stand alone Hard Drive media player in my Hi-Fi rack, but have struggled to find something suitable.
The devices I find either rely on a TV as the interface (my Hi-Fi is a dedicated 2 channel system in a different room) or are all in one systems.

What I'm really after is a dedicated 250-500 Gig hard drive music player with a LCD screen interface. An in built Wi-Fi Internet radio would also be useful.

Is there such a thing?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Hi:
I've seen this objection before, but I can't figure out why people object to running a pc.  Can you explain this?
Larry

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:36 pm »
Just a personal preference for most...

I definitely don't want to hear the fan noise of a PC and would have to dead head the PC as I don't want to even see the monitor or be required to use it.    Nor do i want a switching power supply sharing the same circuit.

Several of these suggested devices in this thread are essentially a PCs but without the fans and requirement of a monitor.

lcrim

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2011, 09:08 pm »
Just a personal preference for most...

I definitely don't want to hear the fan noise of a PC and would have to dead head the PC as I don't want to even see the monitor or be required to use it.    Nor do i want a switching power supply sharing the same circuit.

Several of these suggested devices in this thread are essentially a PCs but without the fans and requirement of a monitor.
There are normally several laptops and another laptop being used as a music server running 24/7, in my condo along w/ other networked devices and none cause the issues you describe.
No, there's something else at work.
I'm not trolling for an argument just trying to figure out why so many object to leaving a computer running.

I am definitely off topic though.
Larry

DaveyW

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2011, 09:32 pm »
Hi Larry,
We've got one steam powered PC in the house of five of us.
We're just not into PC's.
Certainly don't want it whirring away all day just in case I fancy hearing a tune and don't want to wait for it to boot up either.
I just want a simple stand alone music playing facility not dependent on a PC, just like my TT's and CD players.
My music files are actually already on an external hard drive which I'm more than happy to sit by the Hi-Fi. Just need something to allow the interface and send a digital output to my DAC (optical or coax).
Using a Internet Radio as this interface is looking like the most likely route at the moment.
Will continue to look into it.
Please keep your thoughts and advice coming, it's all a bit of a different world to me.

firedog

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2011, 08:11 am »
There are normally several laptops and another laptop being used as a music server running 24/7, in my condo along w/ other networked devices and none cause the issues you describe.
No, there's something else at work.
I'm not trolling for an argument just trying to figure out why so many object to leaving a computer running.

I am definitely off topic though.
Larry

Larry, as one of those who doesn't want a "PC", I think you are making this too complicated. For many of us the issue of noise from a PC does matter. If it doesn't bother you, that's fine.

For others, there's also the issue of a standard PC being a source of electrical noise etc for music playback - not considered a optimal audiophile source. And all the processes running on a standard PC are also considered a source that downgrades the SQ.

The two together, I think, explain why many of us use simple, fanless PC's, or buy devices such as the Bryston or the Auraliti, which are essentially a simple PC optimized for audio only, without any of the noise/interference issues mentioned above

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2011, 10:47 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98860.0

This has some promise. Not sure where they are selling it other than Germany.

Thanks for the heads up, wonder how it sounds (the 30 wpc amp section in particular).  With good sound, could be ideal for an efficient set of speakers or a small room.

DaveyW

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2011, 10:54 am »
You can also check out the AURALITI PK100 it a distant cousin of the Bryston BDP but it includes both analog and digital outputs.  Requires a USB thumbdrive or HDD for storage and Ethernet connection for operation.  I believe it's around $700.   It should also include internet radio stations and you can probably use the PK100 as NAS device for your music much like what the Bryston BDP-1 does.      I have the BDP but not the auraliti, hopefully someone can pipe up about the features for it.

Jim

Thanks for this Jim - But I can't interface with this from my Hi-Fi, no screen?

After further surfing last night I found a few Hi-Fi Internet/Digital Radios (mostly brands unknown to me) that take a USB input and have a small screen to view the external drive content.

Will continue to look for something similar with an in-built HDD, but these look fairly thin on the ground unless you go for the full server plus in built CD player/recorder option.

Thanks very much for your guidance so far, I honestly didn't think that this would be so difficult?

Cheers
Dave

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2011, 11:16 am »
Hi Davey,
How many GB do you really need?  How about a 160gb ipod jacked in to the hifi?

Is your steam powered computer on all the time in a different room?  If so, a squeeze box device should work great.

acresm22

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2011, 04:09 pm »
Davey,

I am just about to experiment with a WDTV Live in my system, which has gotten some favorable press as a music server. Have no personal experience to offer yet, but there are some threads on AC. You can hook up an external HD via USB to the WDLive, so wouldn't have to have a PC running (provided all your music is on the HD).
When my system is up and running, I'll report back.

srb

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2011, 05:14 pm »
I am just about to experiment with a WDTV Live in my system, which has gotten some favorable press as a music server. Have no personal experience to offer yet, but there are some threads on AC. You can hook up an external HD via USB to the WDLive, so wouldn't have to have a PC running (provided all your music is on the HD).

As it doesn't have a display, how would you choose songs or playlists without either a TV on or an iPone/iPod/iPad?

Steve

DaveyW

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2011, 05:57 pm »
Hi Maxcast,
160 gig's not really enough and ideally I'd like to use my DAC.
I think I said previously that I ideally don't want the PC on all the time.

These are getting close.

Both will fit neatly in alongside the rest of my gear and have a USB input  - sadly no internal HDD.

AEG IR 4427 Internet Radio

DNT IPDIO Tune

Still struggling to understand why no one appears to market something like these with an in built HDD.

The Squeezebox remains an option too.

Will continue to keep looking.

lcrim

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2011, 06:02 pm »
There is no noise in the listening environment from the laptops, laptops are very quiet.  The music server is in a combined bathroom/laundry along with the HDD’s that contain the music as well as a printer(all annoying noise has been isolated.)  Yes, the music server is running 24/7.

Both of my systems have a SqueezeBox Touch running, the music files are stored elsewhere as I stated.  The continued tendency to think that sound sources must be in the “rack” is somewhat short sighted. 
Both my TVs are connected to the internet to get Netflix online as well as directv.  I don’t care for internet radio though I can receive it, its way too compressed and the bit rates are too low for anything like quality sound. I could as easily run one of the Alix devices instead of the Touches, because I have my digital music saved and backed up for years now in flac format. 
All entertainment and sports either are or will be delivered online and a decent understanding of home networking has become essential, at least to me.  All home appliances and HVAC can be controlled right now, remotely, over the internet. Embrace the technology.
Sorry for the rant.
Larry