Any tricks to playing 192khz files on a SB Touch?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Any tricks to playing 192khz files on a SB Touch?
« on: 26 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm »
I have a handful of albums with 24/192 stereo files ripped from DVD-As (REM & Steely Dan titles) that won't play on my SB Touch.  No surprise since the Touch is spec'd to play up to 24/96 files.

Are there any tricks to downsampling the files to 24/96 either in the SB software or otherwise so I can play them back on the SBT?

Thanks.

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Any tricks to playing 192khz files on a SB Touch?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:04 pm »
Squeezebox server allows for SOX resampling, so downsample to 24/96.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:18 pm »
Russ,

Are you able to play the files from your computer? As Ted has mentioned, the SqueezeBox software has the SOX downsampler built-in. It should automatically play any file.

I only have a few files above 24/96 but my unit has no trouble playing them. Are you trying to stream the files over wi-fi or hardwired with Ethernet? Have you installed any of the Soundcheck software mods? That might interfere with the SOX program.

Russtafarian

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »
Are you able to play the files from your computer? As Ted has mentioned, the SqueezeBox software has the SOX downsampler built-in. It should automatically play any file.

Yes, ethernet connection from pc to sbt.  I'll look for the SOX downsampler in the SB software and set it for 24/96.  Is the SOX program setting easy to find?

Thanks for tip Ted and Wayne.

Russ

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm »
My Touch won't play 24/192 files either.  I do have the Soundcheck mods on mine, but I don't think it played them while stock either.  Maybe we have some setting changed somewhere?  It was my understanding that we could play 24/192 files (downsampled) just as you guys are saying.  I don't know what I may have changed though...

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2011, 01:13 am »
Try changing streaming as PCM to streaming as flac.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2011, 01:53 am »
I downloaded the 24/192 free Linn Records sampler about a week or so ago.  I played the files on the Touch no problem.  My outboard (Bryston) DAC showed I was getting 96kHz.

Russtafarian

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2011, 05:20 am »
Try changing streaming as PCM to streaming as flac.

That fixed it for me.  I'm now playing back 176/192khz files.

Thanks Wayne.

Russ