FLAC - Lossless Uncompressed

terrycym

FLAC - Lossless Uncompressed
« on: 25 Sep 2011, 09:52 am »
Is anybody else using dBpoweramp with the FLAC Lossless Uncompressed setting?
This uses no compreesion at all.

headshrinker2

Re: FLAC - Lossless Uncompressed
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm »
I have only been using the default Flac setting- Lossless Level 5 with excellent results.  I look forward to seeing everyone's reply to your thread.

Is anybody else using dBpoweramp with the FLAC Lossless Uncompressed setting?
This uses no compreesion at all.

terrycym

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm »
Try uncompressed, you may be surprised

JfTM

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2011, 01:44 pm »
Just curious.

Why use FLAC if you are going to go uncompressed?

Rather than AIFF, WAV, ...

terrycym

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2011, 02:05 pm »
Metadata support

JfTM

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2011, 02:13 pm »
Thanks.

That's what I thought.

Do you know if the FLAC engine does less processing on an uncompressed file vs a lossless file? 

A school of thought is that one advantage of uncompressed files is that the processor is not as stressed as it doesn't have to uncompress even the lossless files.  How is a FLAC wrapped uncompressed file processed?

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:27 pm »
Hi,

because this discussion comes up often, I tried it for myself when new to the BDP. I can honestly say that whatever you throw at the BDP, it works like miracle and all sound great. No stress felt at all. Compressed or uncompressed, Flac, Wav, Aiff, even M4A form iTunes lossless Apple files , they all sound great. MP3 I haven't tried, but why would I? disc-space is cheap and I hate the compressed sound of it.

Make yourself happy to use a program that edits the tags easily, and use the file format that goes with that.

Hope this helps, you're not to worry!

have fun and enjoy,
Marius

A school of thought is that one advantage of uncompressed files is that the processor is not as stressed as it doesn't have to uncompress even the lossless files.  How is a FLAC wrapped uncompressed file processed?

mpv

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:46 pm »

Do you know a mac program for an easy tag process?

Hi,

because this discussion comes up often, I tried it for myself when new to the BDP. I can honestly say that whatever you throw at the BDP, it works like miracle and all sound great. No stress felt at all. Compressed or uncompressed, Flac, Wav, Aiff, even M4A form iTunes lossless Apple files , they all sound great. MP3 I haven't tried, but why would I? disc-space is cheap and I hate the compressed sound of it.

Make yourself happy to use a program that edits the tags easily, and use the file format that goes with that.

Hope this helps, you're not to worry!

have fun and enjoy,
Marius

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:52 pm »

Do you know if the FLAC engine does less processing on an uncompressed file vs a lossless file? 

I think you mean to say uncompressed vs compressed.  Lossless is another variable, but not mutually exclusive to uncompressed vs compressed.  One is a storage issue, the other is a measure of how much musical data, if any, is lost when converting to its format.

This thread gives me new hope that there are others out there that hear the differences between standard compressed FLAC and wav, as I do.  And yes, wav is a complete PITA due to its lack of metadata support (although due to my file naming conventions, my demo BDP-1, which I sent back to George, found decent metadata out there for my wav files, often choosing the correct album art too).  I may well try the uncompressed FLAC trick. 

Alpha10

« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:01 pm »
Try uncompressed, you may be surprised

A noticeable improvement then?

I do not fancy ripping everything again....

terrycym

« Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:02 pm »

Try it with one track and see

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:04 pm »
well, easy is a relative notion...

but, if you use iTunes, and ripp uncompressed, thats rather easy, there's lots of add ons that can help you with missing Album art.

I use XLD and Max as standalone rippers, which do have some editing options. The ripping gets done, it's up to you whether you feel they fulfill your needs.
My biggest problem always is getting multiple disc-rips to play in the right order, and since you not bound to the physical discs anymore, reordering those in more logical order, and not mixing up the numbering,.,,

Give it a try and come back with questions, glad to help

Marius

Do you know a mac program for an easy tag process?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:11 pm »

I don't understand why you'd need to re-rip?  Re-convert, yes (but dbpoweramp's batch converter is flawless and a no-brainer).  Re-rip, no, unless you ripped to lossy....if so, a pox upon you!!  :)

terrycym

« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:13 pm »
I just used dBpoweramp to convert from compressed FLAC to uncompressed FLAC.
Simples

JfTM

« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:32 pm »
I think you mean to say uncompressed vs compressed.  Lossless is another variable, but not mutually exclusive to uncompressed vs compressed.  One is a storage issue, the other is a measure of how much musical data, if any, is lost when converting to its format.

This thread gives me new hope that there are others out there that hear the differences between standard compressed FLAC and wav, as I do.  And yes, wav is a complete PITA due to its lack of metadata support (although due to my file naming conventions, my demo BDP-1, which I sent back to George, found decent metadata out there for my wav files, often choosing the correct album art too).  I may well try the uncompressed FLAC trick.

No I meant uncompressed vs lossless.  In otherwords the software engine is going to see a FLAC file. The question is what does the FLAC engine do?

Does it do less processing on the uncompressed file, or does it process all FLAC files the same way.

Think of a database engine.  Whether there is data in a field or not, if that field is to be processed the database engine processes it and consumes resources regardless.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:35 pm »
No I meant uncompressed vs lossless.  In otherwords the software engine is going to see a FLAC file. The question is what does the FLAC engine do?

Does it do less processing on the uncompressed file, or does it process all FLAC files the same way.

Think of a database engine.  Whether there is data in a field or not, if that field is to be processed the database engine processes it and consumes resources regardless.

But uncompressed or compressed, the file is lossless!

Alpha10

« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:36 pm »
Simples

Phew,

My son (8) is on the BDP at the moment, and has control, so I will convert a few tracks later when I am allowed...

Cheers

RLL1

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:49 pm »
Simples

How do you set up dBpoweramp for uncompressed FLAC??  :scratch:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2011, 04:50 pm »
How do you set up dBpoweramp for uncompressed FLAC??  :scratch:

Simply upgrade to R14.1 or higher (it's currently at R14.2).  The uncompressed option will be in the compression pulldown, along with the standard 0-8 compression settings).

RLL1

« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:00 pm »
Simply upgrade to R14.1 or higher (it's currently at R14.2).  The uncompressed option will be in the compression pulldown, along with the standard 0-8 compression settings).

Thx ted_b. I will convert some files and see if I can hear a difference.

Rick