Some questions

rockdrummer

Some questions
« on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:19 pm »
I am looking through the galleries but not seeming to find a search function.  Maybe there isn't one.  I am really trying to find people with OB 7 speakers.  Looking for build hints, get color ideas, etc.  But also I'm trying to see what amps are running them in most systems.  I will not have a tube amp.  I see that's what most people run.  I will have an Emotiva XPA 2.  300 watts at 8 ohms.  500 at 4 ohms.  Just searching for ideas.  Anybody use Emotiva?  Opinions? 

Also, I see a servo sub amp with a master/slave switch on the gr website.  Can I build a H frame with two twelves in it and use it with my sunfire sub?  I don't know the limitations or specifics of that master/slave switch.

Thanks,
Ben

freerider

Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:52 pm »
Search is at the very top of the page, in the middle, just under "AudioCircle".  It's a bit cumbersome, since you have to pick GR's forum from a list of hundreds in order to just search the GR Research pages, but it works.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm »
I am looking through the galleries but not seeming to find a search function.  Maybe there isn't one.  I am really trying to find people with OB 7 speakers.  Looking for build hints, get color ideas, etc.  But also I'm trying to see what amps are running them in most systems.  I will not have a tube amp.  I see that's what most people run.  I will have an Emotiva XPA 2.  300 watts at 8 ohms.  500 at 4 ohms.  Just searching for ideas.  Anybody use Emotiva?  Opinions? 

Also, I see a servo sub amp with a master/slave switch on the gr website.  Can I build a H frame with two twelves in it and use it with my sunfire sub?  I don't know the limitations or specifics of that master/slave switch.

Thanks,
Ben

There are a lot of OB-7 threads here with pics. A basic sereach should get you some good results.

The servo amps are for use with our servo subs. The amps are not for use with other subs.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm »
If you just use the search function and put in OB-7 and leave "user" blank you will get a TON of threads.  I just did it!   :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:21 pm »
I'm sorry, I totally didn't make sense when I asked that sub question. 
My receiver has one sub pre-out.  I currently use a Sunfire sub there.  I'm guessing that a master and slave switch allows for two subs hooked up even though I only have one output on my receiver.  But like I said, that is totally just a guess.  My second assumption is if I build a OB sub with a plate amp, can I use the one with the master switch and hook up my sunfire into that one.  I would eventually go all open baffle with my set up eventually.  But I don't know the ins and outs of the Master/Slave option.

Also, any opinions of Emotiva?  I know they are considered great values, but does anyone use them with OB speakers?

Ben

freerider

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
I have an XPA-5 amp from Emotiva, but not OB7 speakers.  I've had no issues with the amp.  Has been used daily for over two years.

newportcycle

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:18 pm »
You can check out my gallery, there are some photos there of my OB-7's going together. I use a MAC4200 75wpc receiver with mine, plenty of power for the OB-7's. I use the preamp out put on the receiver to send signal to the sub amp. Im really pleased with my system, looking to upgrade to McIntosh separates sometime in the near future. I attended Capitol Audio Fest this year and believe that my setup will hold up against all but the most expensive systems that were being played.

NeilT

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm »
Hello Rockdrummer,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82801.msg799874#msg799874

Here is a link to my OB7 build.

I just picked up a ClassD SDS-470 amp, 250 wpc @ 8 ohms
It was like taking a blanket off of my speakers compared to my 2 year old "brand name" SS amp.
PM me if you want details on the amp.

Neil