Album Art DB Locks Out Front Panel Controls

terrycym

Album Art DB Locks Out Front Panel Controls
« on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm »
So, I had a spare, old, 1GB memory stick.
I though I'd use it to build a Album Art Database
I reformated the stick (FAT32), and selected it as a cache disk.
I clicked the Build Album DB button and got and error about some mssing log file.
What the heck, so I rebooted the BDP-1 and tried again, this time the winsow filled up with a lot of messages.
I waited and restarted the UI within Firefox and the background is now full of album artwork.
I could connect to the new memory stick via the network in MS Windows and see a folder full of jpgs but TWO for every album??
Later on restarting the BDP-1 I could select the new stick via the front panel controls but all that was visible when I selected the > arrow key was a musical note symbol. This caused the front panel to freeze and I had to reboot.

Now every time I reboot the BDP-1 all I see on the front panel display is "Updating" and the front panel controls no longer have any effect.
I can still control the BDP-1 via MPaD but that's not the point.

terrycym

Re: Album Art DB Locks Out Front Panel Controls
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm »
On closer examination, one image seems to be a lower resolution version of the other.
Is that how it's supposed to work?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2011, 03:34 pm »
Hello terrycym,

The reason as to why there are two of each cover art files is that there is an original copy of the image, and smaller version of it.  If you look at the end of the file name, you'll notice half of them end with "thumb".  These files are only 200x200 pixels and are used to generate the backgrounds and the Current By Album view of the Max.  We will try and fix the issue with the BDP-1's front panel for our end of September release, if not then we will most certainly have a fix in the following release, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Leaving the BDP-1 on 24/7 is perfectly fine, the hardware used in the BDP-1 consumes so little energy that it doesn't even require heat sinks to be cooled and generates very little heat.

The BDP-1 is suppose to save a copy of the existing music database to its internal compact flash card.  This database is then restored during startup, however the BDP-1 still displays "Updating" at startup while it check the integrity of the data.  whether or not any drive have been removed or added since the BDP-1 has been turned off.  When this occurs, your music should still be accessible and you should be able to start playing music immediately.

Chris

terrycym

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2011, 04:00 pm »
Thanks for looking into it James.

As you said, I found that MPad can still access the BDP at startup but the front panel is locked out while it says its updating.

Sometimes all I want to play is a single album and the front panel is quick for that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:16 pm »
Hello terrycym

We have identified the issue regarding the frontpanel freezing upon entering a usb drive without any visible files and folders such as what you described and have made modifications to prevent the Front Panel from locking up. 

Chris

terrycym

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:30 pm »
Thanks Chris.

The pen drive I used for the album cache qualifies because all that's on it is JPGs and no music, is that how it works and causes the error?