Adding An External DAC On A SB Touch?

Chuckdog2005

Adding An External DAC On A SB Touch?
« on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm »
I originally bought my SBT with plans of adding a dac. Well, I've had my SBT for a couple of months now and I haven't heard a real need for a dac? The flac output through the SBT's analog out compares favorably to my cd's in A/B comparisons. I'm hoping someone here has tried A/B comparisons using flac on the SBT's analog out versus the an external dac on the digital outs? Is it worth an extra $400.00+ for the DAC?  I'm listening to Alison Krauss' beautiful voice as I type this, and she sure sounds good through the analog outs. Thanks' in advance, Chuck.

Stercom

Re: Adding An External DAC On A SB Touch?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm »
I used my Touch (with FLAC files) for a number of months before I added a Sim Audio 100D DAC. The improvement in sound quality was immediate and easy to hear. The soundstage was much more defined and the top-end more natural sounding. Whether its "worth it" is up to you and your budget. I would say it was well worth the money.

Kinger

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm »
Here are a few comments I made upon adding an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac to the digital output of a SB Touch.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77901.msg816963#msg816963

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:14 am »
Thanks' Guys, this is exactly what I was looking to hear. I've been considering the DAC Magic, but this is new territory for me as I've been away from audio for a long time. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions as to what you've had success with. CD

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2011, 11:24 am »
Most people find an external DAC sounds better.

But if you're happy with the sound of the analogue outs, I'd try to audition a DAC before you buy. You might find that it isn't worth the extra expense to you.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2011, 01:24 pm »
Having one local to try is something I don't have the luxury of having. Crutchfield has a very good satisfaction guarantee, something like 60 days to return? If it shows any signs of improvement I don't mind spending money that I've already budgeted. I don't need to end up with another $429.00 box that I really don't need though. Ive read both stories, great improvement with other SB models, but I've read where others have said the improvement wasn't so noticable on the Touch. I know how subjective this is, I was hoping for a definitive yea or nay. You ain't never going to get a definitive concensus on anything though? I'm open to suggestions on other brands or models. Again, thanks' Chuckdog

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2011, 01:41 pm »
    Having one local to try is something I don't have the luxury of having.                                                         

Where do you live? You might be surprized, there might be some audio folk nearby eager to help out.  :wink:

I lived with the Touch analog out for about a month till my new DAC arrived, no comparision in sonics. The DAC is much smoother than the SBT analog, I would reccomend a hirez unit to compliment the hirez capabilities of the Touch.

I went with an AudioGD NFB-2, in the under $500 it will be very hard to beat and has kept some pricey company in DAC reviews.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/177-audio-gd-nfb-2-dac-19-series

Chinaski

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2011, 01:59 pm »
I'm open to suggestions on other brands or models.

I'm about to begin evaluating DACs, and on my shortlist are:

Musical Fidelity M1; CAMBRIDGE DACMAGIC; REGA DAC; PS AUDIO LINK III; WYRED4SOUND DAC-2; BENCHMARK DAC-1.  I assembled this list based on quite a few hours of research, and clearly there are many others to consider but this is my list.

No doubt there are at least subtle differences in DACs -- I can clearly tell the low end is better defined, with mids and highs clearer using my older receiver's DAC versus the older Duet receiver's DAC.  I just added a Touch and I'm just going to first acclimate to its sound without doing any comparison for a few weeks.  I think this is key to doing a good eval.  YMMV.

avta

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2011, 02:08 pm »
I would add Anedio to your list. They have a 30 day trial period so if you don't want to keep it just send it back. I have one and am very satisfied with it. ( www.anedio.com )

ajayrav

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2011, 02:30 pm »
To me, an external DAC is imperative with the SB Touch....that even with an upgraded linear supply.  It just brings the sound up to the next level and the upgrade in sound quality is tremendous.  I would not advise the DACMagic.  I had it for a year and never understood what all the fuss was about.  Ys, it is cheap, but that is about it.  The Eastern Electric Minimax is fantastic and I use it in my main rig.  A used Musical Fidelity triple stack also trounces the DACMagic in my opinion.  If you are using the wall wart power supply, I would use a DAC with an ESS chipset, the EE DAC and the new Peachtree DAC come to mind.  In most cases if you are buying new, you can use the 30 day return policy for most online merchants and send it back if you feel the upgrade is not worth the cost.  Another option, if you don't want to use an external DAC is to get the analog mods from Bolder Cable.

Cheers,
Ajay

lcrim

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2011, 02:32 pm »
I hope he doesn't mind me using it, but John Swenson's reply to a similar question on another forum goes right to the heart of this matter.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=647661&postcount=21

Larry

lcrim

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2011, 02:43 pm »
BTW, I have a Touch installed in my two systems, and they both have the Bolder Cables Analog mods done as well as linear power supplies and many software mods.  I have very little jitter/noise or impedance issues holding back the AKM 4420 DAC internal to the Touch. 
I've been told that sound quality beween various DACs, which are well implemented, is a matter of individual taste, rather than better or worse.   There are more ways to approach this issue than simply adding an external DAC.
Larry

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm »
I appreciate all the input. I'll research some of those suggested. CD

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:04 pm »
I have a Peachtree Audio DacIt on the way. It features the ESS Sabre 9022 DAC. I'm sure that I'll be back with many questions in the future. Thanks' again for all the input. CD

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/DAC-iT/dacit.html

sfraser

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2011, 04:53 pm »
I have a SB3 feeding a Benchmark DAC1. Cant say I hear a big difference, if any at all between the external and on board DAC.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2011, 05:41 pm »
I've got the coax out from the SBT connected to the DaciT. I connected the dac to the Aux in while leaving the SBT analog out connected to the Tuner in. Doing A/B comparisons quickly revealed significant differences in the two. The most obvious, (glaring) pardon the pun, is the overall smoothness in those nasty digital upper mids. I guess I thought they were just a fact of life with digital sound? Thankfully this isn't true. This small, simple unit has made a huge difference in my systems personality. As a novice user with very limited experience, I compared it in another thread to auditioning speakers. The SBT onboard dac sounds more like an attention getting horn loaded sizzly speaker. The DaciT aides the Maggies to deliver a much more neutral sound, a bit warmer, much more of an analog sound than my SBT or Marantz CD5004. I can only imagine what a true reference grade dac could do? Thanks' for the suggestions and info guys. At this point, I feel like this has been the best money spent since buying the 1.7's.
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2011, 06:49 pm by Chuckdog2005 »

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2011, 05:54 pm »
I have my Touch (with an upgraded power supply) feeding a Bryston BDA-1.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2011, 08:12 pm »
Sonically, what change does a better ps make? I know clean reserves can make huge improvements in a power amps performance, but I'm not at all clear on what one can expect on a line level dac. Can you explain what I should expect out of one? Thanks' CD

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm »
Sonically, what change does a better ps make? I know clean reserves can make huge improvements in a power amps performance, but I'm not at all clear on what one can expect on a line level dac. Can you explain what I should expect out of one? Thanks' CD

The improvements are described in post #3 here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97990.0