Anyone heard the Fostex T50RPs?

Russell Dawkins

Anyone heard the Fostex T50RPs?
« on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:04 pm »
They have been receiving some serious attention at HeadFi and have been compared to Audeze ("80-90% of the performance at less than 10% of the cost")

Here is a 174 page, 2610 post thread on them and mods to improve the bass/mid balance:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-t50rp-closed-ear-stereo-headphones/reviews

Like the Audeze, they seem to thrive on tons of power.

For studio use, they have the advantage of closed back design. Apparently they are durable, too. $75.

roscoeiii

Re: Anyone heard the Fostex T50RPs?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:26 pm »
And take a look at the monstrous Head-fi Thunderpants thread for some more extensive mods to these headphones, complete with wood cups and new pads.

But be warned, these threads are loooonnnggggg

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2011, 11:58 pm »
Do you guys know that fostex is the manufacturer of apple earbuds?  :o

sorry if its off topic...

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:05 am »
Do you guys know that fostex is the manufacturer of apple earbuds?  :o

sorry if its off topic...

Didn't know until you said so.  The stock Apple earbuds suck bigtime!

saisunil

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:28 am »
Here's the link to the Smeggy Thunderpants Review

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:57 am »
Apples IEMs are actually supposed to be quite good and compared to other stock earbuds I found the Apple ones the best (from those that came with many other purchases).

I might try getting in on a group buy for the thunderpants if another one is done... At $450 for a custom job it sounds like a bargain. As stock pairs there are some good headphones near that price but if you want to tinker it would be worthwhile.

santacore

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:33 am »
I have a pair of Fostex that were modded by another Head-Fi member, not Smeggy. While they are good for the money, they in no way compare to my LCD-2's. The biggest issue I have is with the low end, which just isn't there. Besides that they have a lot of good qualities, but again not up with the Audeze's.

nu62

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2011, 12:30 am »
I have a pair of Fostex T50s that were extensively modified by Larry at Headphile.  In fact, the only parts of the T50s that remained after he finished were the drivers.  Not cheap, but the results are outstanding; rich, full sound, excellent tonal shading with strong bass.  Needs power, has to warm up for a few minutes before coming on song and very unforgiving of poorly recorded material.  Like them so much I am on the waiting list for the Thunderpants group buy on Head-Fi.  Those phones are a different approach to use of the Fostex drivers.

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2011, 05:55 am »
Apples IEMs are actually supposed to be quite good and compared to other stock earbuds I found the Apple ones the best (from those that came with many other purchases).

I might try getting in on a group buy for the thunderpants if another one is done... At $450 for a custom job it sounds like a bargain. As stock pairs there are some good headphones near that price but if you want to tinker it would be worthwhile.

I found they are not any better than any other stock earbuds.  They are all bland, lifeless and tonally inaccurate. 

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:06 am »
So I bought a pair of T50's about a month ago, and have done some mods to them, per some of the recommendations in the long thread at head fi.  I like them.

I also bought the Shure pads for them, and found they made a big difference.  You need to get a good seal with these, and the pads are key to getting that seal.

They also were very sensitive to amp noise.  I have a couple amps.  A modded ming da tube amp, which was silent with my K501's, but I heard a buzz on the T50's until I played with the tubes.  With another SS amp, I heard a slight buzz with the 501's, but a pretty loud buzz on the T50's.  Not sure why this is, but that's what I heard.

Randy