pop/click eliminator

rcag_ils

Re: pop/click eliminator
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2011, 06:58 pm »
Thanks Mark for the heads up.

I'd like to get one to experiment it a bit, definitely wouldn't pay the $300 for it.

With the resurgence of vinyl, and the advance of technology, I am a bit surprised companies haven't jumped right in and make more.

Minn Mark

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2011, 07:05 pm »
I agree. I never had one of these 'back in the day', so I didnt know what to expect. I didnt want to commit much money to a device I might not use or enjoy, let alone the hassle of resale.   I like my SAE 5000; yes I can tell when it is engeaed, and I dont use it all the time.    It's definitely not 'audiophile' the way some posters swoon here about their Shakti stones, thousand dollar cables, etc.  For me, it helps me enjoy some of those scratchier LPs I still like to listen to, and my 78s.  Hope you find one, too, and that it meets with your expectations.

M

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2011, 07:18 pm »
Thanks Mark for the heads up.

I'd like to get one to experiment it a bit, definitely wouldn't pay the $300 for it.

With the resurgence of vinyl, and the advance of technology, I am a bit surprised companies haven't jumped right in and make more.

The original list price was only $350.  When I lived in NJ and moved, I had a guy drive about 90 miles to buy it for $175.  About 10 years back I bought some other processing devices I used to own just for fun (Carver C-9 Sonic Hol) and the list on those was $300 and it was just under $100.  Once you get much above $100, particularly given the age of the items it starts to get pricey

munosmario

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2011, 08:08 pm »
For those interested in current production, a unit like the Burwen is currently being produced but, I believe, a bit more modern circuit (it appears to me, it is all analog).  Look at the following link: http://www.esotericsound.com/NoiseReduction.htm

Scroll down the page until you get the Esoteric Sound Surface Noise reducer ($425). They also have a de-hisser (shown first in link page) and many other interesting, mostly pro orientd, specialized LP/analog playback related products (see home page)--one of them (the one for 78 RPM playback equalization), I believe, was reviewed very favorably by Stereophile's Art Dudley a few years back (if that makes any difference to you). Dagogo has a very recent, quite positive review of their rather  inexpensive phono preamp. This, at least, should be an indication that circuit design may be a good quality/value proposition.

These other links give a critical overview of LP denoiser:

http://www.esotericsound.com/rvw5_snr.htm

http://www.head-fi.org/t/359973/reducing-vinyl-lp-surface-noise/45  Look for post No. 48 (thread is 7 pages long).

munosmario