The GAS Absolute Reference Recording

Scott F.

« on: 21 Apr 2004, 03:11 pm »
Hiya Guys,

I was talking to Thom P. yesterday and he had a really good idea that I want to run past you all.

Thom mentioned that we could all probably use an absolute reference recording. An all-acoustic recording that we all witnessed and heard as the tracks were being laid down. We can then use this to judge a given systems accuracy when we go to listen or when we make changes in our own systems.

Granted, every system is colored, even the best of them. We all have our favorite colorations but this recording should help us analyze systems we hear and also help us understand the euphonics that we each individually enjoy.

So here’s the deal. Thom has offered up his house as the recording venue. He has a large, lively room that he has recorded in before. This room adds some very nice ambiance to the recordings (I’ve heard several with his daughter Iz singing). Thom also has a nice stereo mic and tubed mic pre that I’ve used to record before. I’ve got a bare bones mixing board with no internal processing if we need it.

We will need a good open reel deck to record on. I’ve got an ‘OK’ 7” deck but it would be much better to record at 15 or 30 ips. Sturgus, your big Akai would be a likely candidate unless somebody has a better deck that we can use (or borrow).

Here’s the gig with the deck. We will need to have somebody (Za I assume) clean the deck, demagnetize the heads and then bias the deck for the tape we choose. Then we need to buy a quality reel or two of tape. All this costs money. Guessing, Za will charge between $100 and $150 to go over the deck and the reels will cost us $40 a pop (I could be low on that one). Lets say we are at $200 total, if 10 of us go in on this, our individual outlay is only $20.

Next, since we are doing an all-acoustic recording we need instruments and players. Before we figure out what instruments we need (most of which everybody already has) we need to figure out a set list. Take some time and listen to your favorite acoustic recordings. Come up with a list of about five or six and then we can all decide which ones we want to cut and what instruments we will need.

When it comes to vocals (if we decide to do some), Thom’s daughter Iz is about 14 and has a nice voice, I’ve heard her sing before. I’d like to offer the services of my oldest daughter (21) Jeanine. She is a vocal major who is classically trained and has a range of over 3 octaves. She truly has the voice of an angel. She can sing about anything and can play piano (a bit). Thom does a little singing also but if we had a stunning male crooner, that would be really cool too.

Oh, the only reason we’re talking about doing an analog recording is because Thom and I don’t have a decent digital rig. If anybody out there has the ability to record digitally (other than something like my simple Philips CD recorder) we’d be happy to record digitally too.

The recording will be straight wire, no artificial processing, no compression, multi-tracking, no overdubs, no isolation booths, no nothing. Just music in its rawest form. I’ll be happy to transfer the music onto CD from the deck using my Philips CDR then making copies for everybody.

So what do you guys think? Are you game?

If so, we can work out all the details later. I really just want to take everybody’s temperature on the idea.

vpolineni

« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2004, 03:17 pm »
i'm in.. but i'd need a cd... i don't have a tape deck in my system.

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2004, 03:22 pm »
Scott, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Let me talk to some of my musician friends and see if they're interested in playing. It would be cool if we could cut it on vinyl too  :o Count me in.
steve k :bounce:

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2004, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: steve k
It would be cool if we could cut it on vinyl too  :o :bounce:

Believe it or not, thats not out to the question. It all comes down to money and how much everybody wants to spend. Vinyl would get pretty pricey but it would be damned cool.

Maybe for giggles I'll make a call just to see.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2004, 03:58 pm »
You guys have come up with a very good idea..."The GAS Absolute Reference Recording". Hope you make the recording...I'd gladly purchase a cd !! :dance:

steve k

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2004, 04:26 pm »
Scott,
I talked to my friend Amir and he's willing to play acoustic guitar with his bass player on standup bass. He said he's been wanting to write an arrangement of a Bach air for the two of them and this is a perfect excuse to do it and record it. That would be a great reference recording for acoustic instruments and frequency range between the two. Amir is classically trained on guitar and a very good player at this type of music.
steve

Bostekrisco

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2004, 04:53 pm »
I could play the cowbell. We NEED MORE cowbell.  :)

But seriously folks, I'd chip in for something like that. But I'd need a CD. No R to R.

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2004, 05:24 pm »
I think this is a great  :idea:
I would not have too many people in the room during recording unless you need movable sound difussors. :wink:
If enough people bought a CD we could all have the same reference when talking about component/cable comparisons.  Especially the regional circles that host get-to-gethers.
Put me down for one.

electricbear

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:11 pm »
I would certainly fork over $20 or so for a reference cd . You might want to ask Zaw if he has a deck that he could loan you, I believe he used to have a bit of a collection . Would it make sense to record it on DAT and then get one of the local studios to burn it to disc ?

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:43 pm »
I'm cool with using one of the studios to make a glass master but I want to stand over the guy at the controls to make sure he doesn't 'normalize' or compress the music.

Maybe we can make several different masters. If we can get our hands on a quailty, external sound card (firewire or USB) along with an external burner (I've got two) we could try our own. Then, I can plug the R2R directly nto the back of my Philips CD burner and make another master.

That way we could all sit down and decide which of the masters sound the best and duplicate from that process.

My thought is to use the black CD's that everybody is so hot on. I could do the cover and liner notes and actually make a presentable product. I could take an overhead pic of the muscians in place so that you could actually get a feel for what the soundstage should sound like when reproduced on a two channel rig.

Steve, I love the idea of rolling in some classical pieces. Who knows, maybe we can get a few more of our members to play too (we've got a couple that play with the symphony).

Hey Sturgus or Thom, would one of you guys want to get ahold of Za and see if he's got a deck we can use (DAT or really good R2R)?

Heck, it sounds like we've got some visitors (maxcast and lonewolf) that are interested in a copy of the CD. If we get enough interest we should start thinking about a nice charity to send the excess proceeds to. Maybe the Circle since they are nice enough to host us? That or one that concerns us all, something music related.

This could be really fun.

vpolineni

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2004, 06:46 pm »
scott, i have just the soundcard for you.. i own a rme hdsp9632.. this should work very well for the recording.. let me know if you're interested.

Blackmore

GAS Reference CD
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2004, 07:15 pm »
Scott:

Count me in for the CD!  I have a Sony DAT machine (I thought Sturgus did,too) that we could run as a safety for the R2R.   I also have an Ultrajitterbug we could use to massage the bits on the way to the CD burner.  Just an idea.

This will be a great project :D

sturgus

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2004, 08:28 pm »
Sounds good to me. I do have a Sony Dat and we can use the reel to reel if you want. A refrence recording is a great idea. Hey Mark you think you can talk your guys into playing a song or two.
Sturgus

Blackmore

GAS Reference Recording
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2004, 12:31 am »
Well, maybe.  Unaccompanied trumpet is an acquired taste, but maybe my wife and I could manage a short duet. (that way you can always remind me how much better she sounds than me :cry: )

steve k

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2004, 12:41 am »
That's OK Mark. How about if I play along and make you both sound fantastic!! :lol:  :lol:

Nah, I still want to be friends with you guys afterward. :wink:
steve

Scott F.

Re: GAS Reference Recording
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2004, 01:03 am »
Quote from: Blackmore
Well, maybe.  Unaccompanied trumpet is an acquired taste, but maybe my wife and I could manage a short duet. (that way you can always remind me how much better she sounds than me :cry: )

Actually, I think Mike D plays the trumpet also. Lets see, we could call you guys (and girl) ......

Thom P. and LA (Lower Arnold) Express
or
The (relocated) Memphis Horns

but seriously, we would love to have you guys cut a tune or two and fill in with some harmonies. Seems to me there is some music written specifically trumpet quartets. If fact Thom knows the first chair at the Symphony. Maybe she'd be kind enough to sit in to round out the quartet.

DeadFish

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2004, 12:49 pm »
Scott,

The idea of a reference recording sounds great.
Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but worth it hopefully.
I'll toss a piece of that $$ at it for a copy, but have little to offer in terms of performance, 'cept to 'stay the f*** outa the way!'
 :wink:
DF

Mike D

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2004, 04:28 pm »
"but seriously, we would love to have you guys cut a tune or two and fill in with some harmonies. Seems to me there is some music written specifically trumpet quartets. If fact Thom knows the first chair at the Symphony. Maybe she'd be kind enough to sit in to round out the quartet."

If you bring in Susan Slaughter from the St. Louis Symphony.  I want at least 2 months to practice as much as possible.  I worship her.  

I'm in for electric tube amplified guitar, acoustic 6 string, acoustic 12 string, and trumpet written or improvised blues, jazz, or funk.  

A small group jam could be assembled easily based on the conversations that I had with the guitar/bass/drummers that I talked to at the second get together.  We could meet ahead of time to lay some basic ground work in my basement since I have my buddies drum set ready to go.

mike D

Scott F.

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:18 pm »
Hi All,

Steve and I just had lunch talking about the shear logistics of pulling this off. It's absolutely doable. When you get into the minutia, it could take the best part of two months to finalize all the details (your in luck Mike!).

We're forging ahead. I'll be in touch with all the musicians and donators of gear offline in the coming week or so to talk about all the gory details.

Anybody got a pair of Neuman M-50's laying around?

drummerwill

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2004, 03:37 am »
Kool a recording session. Let me know if I need to bring my drums!

I got a couple of reel to reels nothing fancy my max is 7 1/2 ips
      Teac A 2000R and a Tanberg 64x.
     Willie