Any vintage gear buffs near Cheboygan, MI?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Any vintage gear buffs near Cheboygan, MI?
« on: 18 Sep 2011, 01:13 am »
Yesterday I stumbled on a garage sale in Cheboygan on Seymour Street.  Found an nice 70s-era Soundcraftsman preamp/equalizer in the cabinet for $20 (negotiable).  Couldn't figure out how to get it on the plane, but I DID score a nice BGW 500D monster amp for $15!  Cost me $10 to pack it myself in the local UPS store, and the damned thing was 54 lbs, 4 lbs too heavy to fly free on the plane.  That cost me another $50 so total investment was $75!

Wish I could have talked my wife into checking the preamp as baggage under her name.    :duh: :lol:

Oh, yeah, and on the main drag was a funky antique/junk store that had quite a few rock LPs, but I didn't have time to flip through them.  Lot of duplicates, but no prices posted.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Any vintage gear buffs near Cheboygan, MI?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2011, 01:30 am »
You were probably 50 miles from the nearest audiophile up there.  (Can you say "cabin fever" during the long/white winters?)

AC member Orthobitz lives about 100 miles from there.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Any vintage gear buffs near Cheboygan, MI?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2011, 01:40 am »
We spent the week in the Mackinac City area and the U.P., and were so impressed by how genuinely friendly and nice all the people were.  I wondered if they weren't starved of human contact from November-April and made up for it in the tourist season.  Either way, it was a great vacation.

Glad to hear OrthoBiz lives up there,  He's a great one, too.

Makes me wonder if they ship all the grouchy Michiganers to Ann Arbor.    :icon_twisted: :lol: :peek: