HDP Amazon Specs vs. NuForce Specs

donutfreak

HDP Amazon Specs vs. NuForce Specs
« on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm »
I just setup my new nuforce Icon HDP DAC with a PC source connected via optical coaxial S/PDIF optical.  The majority of my library is comprised of 96/24 FLAC files, and they sound great with the HDP, but I'm anxious to play 192/24 source files.  When I bought the unit, I was expecting the S/PDIF to support 192/24 based on the specs listed at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-High-end-Headphone-Preamp-Black/dp/B00370OIYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316302594&sr=8-1 and Scroll down to Technical Specifications, where it says, "S/PDIF input: Coaxial up to 192kHz/24-bit or Optical up to 192kHz/24-bit").  This is contradicted by the Icon HDP user guide, in which the FEATURES section on page 4 says "S/PDIF input: Coaxial up to 192kHz/24-bit or Optical up to 96kHz/24-bit."  To confuse matters more, I downloaded a sample 192/24 FLAC from klicktrack.com and the HDP played the file, via optical coaxial, just fine. 

I have two questions: Which of the specifications are correct, those on Amazon or those in the HDP user guide?  If I'm connecting via digital coaxial and I'm able to play the 192/24 file, is the HDP playing the file at native resolution, or is down-sampling it to 96/24?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: HDP Amazon Specs vs. NuForce Specs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm »
When we wrote the user guide, engineering raise the concern that many cheap optical cables and optical interface can not reliably support 24bit/192kHz, so we decided to be conservative on the manual.