Absolute Sound editors pick 10 most significant turntables of all time......

Wayner

The list is:

10 - Walker Diamond MK III
 9 - Well-Tempered table (1979)
 8 - Oracle Delphi (1979)
 7 - Panasonic SP-10 (1970)
 6 - Garrard 301 (1954)
 5 - Thorens TD-124/TD-160 (1957)
 4 - Goldmund Studio (1985)
 3 - Sota Star Sapphire (1981)
 2 - Linn Sondek LP12 (1972)
 1 - AR-XA (1961)

I'd like to know where the Empire table is. I'm pretty sure they are first to come out with a massive platter. VPI admits that the Classic series of tables were inspired by the Empires.

And for that matter, where is a VPI or even a REGA?

Wayner

sts9fan

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Were VPI or Rega making tt that far back?

I mean, look at the dates - cripe, the Thorens came out the same year I was born.

roscoeiii

I also found this quote with respect to the Well Tempered Turntable pretty amusing:

"There had been nothing like it before, and, frankly, there has been nothing like it since.  A sui generis masterpiece." - Jonathan Valin

Ummm, nothing like it since? How about the new line of Well-Tempered Turntables, which use golf balls to more effectively accomplish what the paddle system provided previously.

sunnydaze

About a year ago my Townshend Rock Mk3 fairly crushed a fully tricked out Linn LP12 in a side-by-side comparo.  We a/b'd them in both his system and mine with same cartridge, same phono section.  All in attendance agreed.  So decisive was the victory that the Linn owner immediately replaced it with a used Rock (and pocketed a nice chunk a change).

I hear the new Rock 7 is leagues better, and superior to many at multiples its price.

So I dunno about this list.  Big grain of salt.

orthobiz

Fun list, fun article. I enjoyed it.

Paul

roscoeiii

Well sunnydaze,

The article is about the most significant, not necessarily best-sounding, turntables. Though I was a bit surprised that Townshend's trough didn't make the list. Hardly an expert on turntable history though...

Minn Mark

My most significant TT of all time has to include a little belt drive Technics that I comandeered at a Frat party as a freshman in college and played Charlie Daniels' "Orange Blossom Special" over-and-over continuously for about two hours.  It was magical (from what I remember).      :icon_lol:

Viva la VINYL !   Happy weekend everyone !

Mark

sunnydaze

Well sunnydaze,

The article is about the most significant, not necessarily best-sounding, turntables. Though I was a bit surprised that Townshend's trough didn't make the list. Hardly an expert on turntable history though...

Didn't read the article, so I don't know how they define "significant".

But to me, if a rig has the following attributes:

*  innovative design
*  performance waaaay beyond its price point
*  ease of setup and use for the common man
*  great value

.....AND, it sonically beats others on the list (in my estimation), then it is significant.       :thumb:

simoon

So I dunno about this list.  Big grain of salt.

The list isn't about what sounds best today, but about what was significant at the time.

The list may have missed some other significant TTs, but I think it would be hard to argue that the Linn was not one of the most significant.

roscoeiii

And at the end of the day, what may be best about these lists is the discussion and thought that they provoke...

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Minn Mark,I agree about the little belt drive from Technics.I still have mine and it works like a charm.Mine is completely manual with shift lever cueing the SL-20,1975.The next step up was the SL-23 which automaticly turned off at the end of the record,good on your cartridge if you passed out.In heavy rotation with the college age crowd and at the same price 100.00 was the Pioneer PL-12 and the Sansui SR-212 which were all over the place.All 4 tables had S shaped arms.One more I think should be on the list was the HK Rabco ST-7 which had stait line tracking where the arm traveled strait across the record.I don't know if Bang and Olufsen 4002 came out with this idea first but it was very novel for the time.No one could afford the Linn LP-12 yet,and I agree with Wayner that the Empire 598 should be on that list although it was a little out of reach for a college ager at the time.Just my thoughts.....Mark Korda

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
I think the B&O Beogram 4002 should at least get honorable mention.  8)

decal

I don't put much stock in any of TAS's top ten lists, they never have any of my stuff on them!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

roscoeiii

But still gets you thinking about the other interesting stuff out there, doesn't it?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
1200?

SP-10 was the precursor to 1200

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
I've owned 4 of the TTs in the list (multiplies of each), have 2 of them now, and parts from the other 2

dave

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
I think the term significant is used in an historical sense and not necessarily the best, or even the best of it's time. Each table named does represent a change in thinking or design which made an impact on the overall gestalt.

Certainly a case could be made to include a table like the old Empire, but if the list is limited to ten, one other would have to be excluded. It probably wouldn't be that hard to make a good case, but maybe we take this a little too seriously. This is one reviewers opinion. The current Walker ($57K) choice would probably be disputed by some other over-valued reviewer. I think the accolades might go to the best set-up and/or synergistic combination. All the other tables on the list seem to belong there for one reason or another. I'm not making a case against the Walker, I've never heard one. I'm sure it's the best thing since sliced bread.
neo

Wayner

This list was compiled by all of the editors of AS, not just one. The Walker was pick number 10, not 1.

Acoustic Research's little AR-XA was the number one pick by all of the editors. I actually have no problem with it being number one. If I were to kick one to the curb, it would be the rim drive Garrard.

Wayner

macrojack

• Restricted
Despite its enormous success in the marketplace and its near universal embrace by reviewers, wasn't the Linn LP-12 just a refinement of the AR?

I took significant to mean something that changed direction or approach. How about the first air bearing design or magnetic suspension or vacuum hold down? Models that merely combine previous inventions or elaborate upon them are not in and of themselves groundbreaking. Unless we are considering unprecedented high prices as groundbreaking, I would omit Walker.