update on OB/horns

versus rider

update on OB/horns
« on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:04 pm »
I recently picked up a pair of auto-tech 200Hz tractrix horns to replace my 400Hz tractrix that are going to be used in another project. As they work down to 350Hz I have removed the Audax AP170MO that covered 200Hz -1500Hz and modded the baffle to give a 3 way of 15" alpha, 200Hz tractrix and 1000Hz tractrix. I took ricks advice to add a brace to the alpha magnet and that seems to have improved the bass up to 350Hz where before 200Hz was the limit before sound quality suffered.

versus rider

Re: update on OB/horns
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:51 pm »
by removing the audax driver that covered 200Hz 1500Hz and running the 200Hz horn down to 350Hz and the alpha up to 350Hz I was able to reduce the height of the baffle and  now it is far better proportioned. Sounds better too. :)

Ric Schultz

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:10 am »
You can also get better bass by damping the basket of the woof using EAR SD40AL and by soldering bare woofer wires from your amps directly on top of the wire from the voice coil (directly on top of the wire where it goes through the eyelet...bare wire to bare wire).  If you hit it hard and fast with a big iron then no heat will enter the voice coil.  You could alternatively heatsink the voice coil wire when soldering if you are afraid (say using both ends of a clip lead).

Yes, the lower you go with a compression driver the faster the sound.  However, you can get horn throat colorations.  This is why I love waveguides.  They are shallower and more open and there is less "horn" for the signal to get distorted in.  If I had a horn like yours I would try felting the insides or using the Geddes method of foam.  Even most waveguides sound better felted or foamed.....a horn has much longer travel for the sound to bounce around in. 

So, when is someone going to make a 18 inch or larger waveguide so we could mount a 2 inch driver on.....say down to 500 hz or less?  I want one!   

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm »
how about this
http://www.horns.pl/minphase.html

You can also get better bass by damping the basket of the woof using EAR SD40AL and by soldering bare woofer wires from your amps directly on top of the wire from the voice coil (directly on top of the wire where it goes through the eyelet...bare wire to bare wire).  If you hit it hard and fast with a big iron then no heat will enter the voice coil.  You could alternatively heatsink the voice coil wire when soldering if you are afraid (say using both ends of a clip lead).

Yes, the lower you go with a compression driver the faster the sound.  However, you can get horn throat colorations.  This is why I love waveguides.  They are shallower and more open and there is less "horn" for the signal to get distorted in.  If I had a horn like yours I would try felting the insides or using the Geddes method of foam.  Even most waveguides sound better felted or foamed.....a horn has much longer travel for the sound to bounce around in. 

So, when is someone going to make a 18 inch or larger waveguide so we could mount a 2 inch driver on.....say down to 500 hz or less?  I want one!