BDP-1 interferes with Bonjour?

Marius

BDP-1 interferes with Bonjour?
« on: 15 Sep 2011, 02:11 pm »
Hi,

Because my thread-title http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98559.0 does not cover the discovered problem anymore I start this new topic.

With assistance of Bonjour Browser I can show in a more technical way, what I have run in to: Whenever I power on the BDP-1, it kills Airplay to the Marantz Na7004.

Beginning: BDP-1 off, notice both Http and AirTunes NA7004

BDP-1 on, immediately after power on

BDP-1 on, after a little while, notice NA7004 is gone, both in AirTunes and Http, which is completely gone, both machines listed there before (pic1) are now invisible.

What surprises me, but that most likely has to do with my non-extensive knowledge of Bonjour, is that the BDP-1 is only listed under Workgroup-manager.
At least it never shows in the Browser-pane of Safari, so Bonjour has some kind of problem with the BDP-1.

hope this helps, and points someone out there to a solution....

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 interferes with Bonjour?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2011, 09:25 pm »
HI Marius,

We have tested Airtunes compatibility using a D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router, Linux Desktop PC, Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.7, Bryston BDP-1 (S1.16), iPhone 4 and an Apple Airport Express base station.  The Apple Airport Express Base Station, which is airtunes capable was configure to connect to the network via ethernet.  All other network nodes (clients) also connected connected to the network via wired ethernet, with the exception of the iPhone 4.  Both the macbook pro and iphone 4 could stream audio (several albums) to the airport express flawlessly and without incident.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2011, 05:39 am »
Hi James, Chris,

Thanks for going into this. But please check carefully: as I stated earlier, streaming to my AE is not the problem. Like you found out below. It is streaming to the Na7004 that gets kicked out of Bonjour, whenever the Bdp1 is fired up. My AE is still in work after that, and remains so firmly.

I've checked every conceivable setting in the Router. No changes. I am really in the dark here. And it is very frustrating, to know the cause of the problem Bdp on power, and not being able to solve this.

Hope you look further.

Thanks for that,
Marius

Both the macbook pro and iphone 4 could stream audio (several albums) to the airport express flawlessly and without incident.

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:11 pm »
Hello

We are unable to replicate the issue that you are experiencing; however what you could do to test if its the BDP-1's bonjour implantation is at fault is disable it.  You can do this by logging into the BDP-1 via ssh and using the following login credentials:

username: root
password: bryston

once logged in you can use the following command to disable bonjour (aka Avahi):

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop

If your unfamiliar with the use of ssh and terminal commands you should be able to just copy the following two commands into a terminal window on your mac.

ssh root@bryston-bdp-1.local

<confirm the identification key, type "yes" then return>
<enter password, "bryston">

To start bonjour again on the BDP-1, enter the following command

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

If you would like to test other services the following commands will disable and then enable other services

MPD (music player)
mpd --kill
mpd

Samba (file sharing)
/etc/init.d/samba stop
/etc/init.d/samba start

Apache2 (web server)
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

Chris

Chris Rice
Embedded Linux Engineer
Web Application Design For Embedded Devices
Bryston Ltd.

Fleming College
School of Continuing Education and Skilled Trades
599 Brealey Drive
Peterborough, Ontario
Canada K9J 7B1
office: Portables 2 C

Marius

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:23 pm »
o boy.

Thanks....I guess?

I do confess I start to feel more like a software-tester then a bdp1 customer now.... not that I mind, always have been in to technical experiments.  :?

Just need your confirmation I can not kill the BDP-1 or void my Bryston warranty here?

Marius

Hello

We are unable to replicate the issue that you are experiencing; however what you could do to test if its the BDP-1's bonjour implantation is at fault is disable it.  You can do this by logging into the BDP-1 via ssh and using the following login credentials:

username: root
password: bryston

once logged in you can use the following command to disable bonjour (aka Avahi):

If your unfamiliar with the use of ssh and terminal commands you should be able to just copy the following two commands into a terminal window on your mac.

ssh root@bryston-bdp-1.local

<confirm the identification key, type "yes" then return>
<enter password, "bryston">

To start bonjour again on the BDP-1, enter the following command

/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

If you would like to test other services the following commands will disable and then enable other services

MPD (music player)
mpd --kill
mpd

Samba (file sharing)
/etc/init.d/samba stop
/etc/init.d/samba start

Apache2 (web server)
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

Chris

Chris Rice
Embedded Linux Engineer
Web Application Design For Embedded Devices
Bryston Ltd.

Fleming College
School of Continuing Education and Skilled Trades
599 Brealey Drive
Peterborough, Ontario
Canada K9J 7B1
office: Portables 2 C

terrycym

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:37 pm »
Just need your confirmation I can not kill the BDP-1 or void my Bryston warranty here?

Marius

I was wondering the same too but from what I can see, you're not making any permanent changes here.
You're not modifying anything and so if you do screw it up, a reboot will restore everything.

These changes are just temporary, am I correct here Chris?

BTW it's good to get someone from the technical team on board here.

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:45 pm »
Hi Chris,

Turning Bonjour off like you explained does solve the problem! Airplay to the Na7004 steadily playing right now. The BDP is also playing, but now of course I can not reach it anymore, Max won't see it, and neither does Mpad. The Finder does still see the HDD attached to it.

So, now we're sure about that, but what to do? We need bonjour to speak to the BDP1....

Marius

just re-enabled Bonjour again: 2,45 minutes and Airplay is gone again.

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2011, 08:17 pm »
o boy.

Thanks....I guess?

I do confess I start to feel more like a software-tester then a bdp1 customer now.... not that I mind, always have been in to technical experiments.  :?

Marius

You would have to delete the firmware image to kill the BDP-1.  Most of the image is read-only (and probably a copy of it) with the exception of your USB drive and various other non-critical directories for holding various logs and the mpd database.  When you reboot it will back to normal.

It's a good test to try, at least you can confirm it's the BDP bonjour service causing the issue.

Marius

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2011, 08:28 pm »
Thanks, Skunark,

read my post above, it is the BDP bonjour service causing the issue.
Hope to find a definitive solution soon..
Marius

You would have to delete the firmware image to kill the BDP-1.  Most of the image is read-only (and probably a copy of it) with the exception of your USB drive and various other non-critical directories for holding various logs and the mpd database.  When you reboot it will back to normal.

It's a good test to try, at least you can confirm it's the BDP bonjour service causing the issue.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2011, 08:50 pm »
o boy.

Thanks....I guess?

Marius

Hello

No the worst thing you could do is delete your settings (password, network, playlist).  If this occurs the next time your bdp-1 is restarted it will create a set of new files with there defaults settings.  The rest of the of the firmware is stored in whats known as a squashfs file system, you can make any kind of changes you like to the firmware; however as soon as you reboot the BDP-1 your changes will be gone and the BDP-1 will be back to it original state before you made any changes.  In short as long as you don't have any drives connected you can't really break anything that can't be fixed by a simple restart of the unit.  Just don't let anyone talk you into typing in something like "rm /live/image/filesystem.squashfs" or "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda".  Both commands would actually remove the firmware, however as its store on removable media (compact flash card) we could send you out a replacement.

Chris

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2011, 06:18 am »
BDP is using AVAHI version 0.6.27 (http://avahi.org/), which rather old for a Linux app.  Perhaps Bryston can offer you a patch with the latest 0.6.30 to see if recent bug fixes correct your issue.

Marius

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2011, 08:45 am »
HI Skunark,

Thanks for that. This is new territory for me. If you look at the change-log the latest offers Ipv6 fix. Ipv6 is all over the place being a suspect in Bonjour, and Airplay, problems. Looks really promising, and certainly we must try this.

Hope Chris and James read this. How to proceed in updating AVAHI....

Thanks!
Marius

BDP is using AVAHI version 0.6.27 (http://avahi.org/), which rather old for a Linux app.  Perhaps Bryston can offer you a patch with the latest 0.6.30 to see if recent bug fixes correct your issue.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2011, 06:45 pm »
Hey Marius

Skunark has a good point, if you log into the BDP-1 via ssh the following two commands should update your BDP-1's avahi to 0.6.30.

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/avahi/avahi-daemon_0.6.30-5_i386.deb
dpkg -i avahi-daemon_0.6.30-5_i386.deb

you can then use the following command to ensure the avahi has been updated

avahi-daemon --version

Chris

skunark

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2011, 08:19 pm »
Hey Marius

Skunark has a good point, if you log into the BDP-1 via ssh the following two commands should update your BDP-1's avahi to 0.6.30.

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/avahi/avahi-daemon_0.6.30-5_i386.deb

avahi-daemon --version

Chris

Great suggestion Chris!

Marious, keep in mind this version will be removed either on a reboot or if you reset the settings.  Or at least that's my experience has been on the updates.

Jim

Marius

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2011, 09:39 pm »
HI Chris,

Just to be sure: you are not the Bryston Chris I've been talking to earlier....? No offense meant, but in fiddling with the software on the BDP1, I only take orders from Bryston!  :icon_lol:

James, Chris, what's your opinion on the subject? When do we get a Avahi update?

Thanks,
Marius

Hey Marius

avahi-daemon --version

Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm »
HI Chris,

Just to be sure: you are not the Bryston Chris I've been talking to earlier....? No offense meant, but in fiddling with the software on the BDP1, I only take orders from Bryston!  :icon_lol:

James, Chris, what's your opinion on the subject? When do we get a Avahi update?

Thanks,
Marius

'unincognito' is (Brystons) Chris's name when he does not want me to know what he is posting :lol:

james

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:42 am »
great! I'll try it then.

Thanks Unincognito... :thumb:

'unincognito' is (Brystons) Chris's name when he does not want me to know what he is posting :lol:

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:37 pm »

james

oh no i've been found out, better avoid my office for a few days so i don't find a pink slip ;)

Chris

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:54 pm »
Yep you'd better, because it did not work.....unfortunately.

was a good try though, and wonder if the update now is permanent, which would be best, or that it's gone upon reboot.

please continue the search..
Marius

oh no i've been found out, better avoid my office for a few days so i don't find a pink slip ;)

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:58 pm »
Yep you'd better, because it did not work.....unfortunately.

was a good try though, and wonder if the update now is permanent, which would be best, or that it's gone upon reboot.

please continue the search..
Marius

Hey Marius

Sorry but any changes done to the file system are wiped out after a reboot.  I will start incorporating the new version of avahi into our beta builds for testing.

Chris