Capacitors compatibility of different brands?

50jess

Capacitors compatibility of different brands?
« on: 14 Sep 2011, 07:57 am »
I''m deciding on choosing between the Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil, .22uf or Audio Note Copper Foil, .22uf to bypass Mundorf Supreme, 2.2uf?  I'm leaning towards the Audio Note Copper Foil but concerned about its compatibility with e Mundorf Supreme.  Is there such as thing as caps compatibility of different brands?

JakeJ

Re: Capacitors compatibility of different brands?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm »
50jess,

While I can't make a recommendation you might want to ask this question in the lab and also mention what amp/circuit you are trying this out in.  Also there is a rather lengthy thread on capacitors there as well.

Hope this helps.

Jake

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm »
Oh please dont...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2011, 01:50 pm »
I''m deciding on choosing between the Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil, .22uf or Audio Note Copper Foil, .22uf to bypass Mundorf Supreme, 2.2uf?  I'm leaning towards the Audio Note Copper Foil but concerned about its compatibility with e Mundorf Supreme.  Is there such as thing as caps compatibility of different brands?

Only in sonics character really. Voltages must match do not use a lower voltage by-pass cap than the main cap. Google Jimmys Junk yard and read  the cap shoot out as well here on AC. The By-pass cap affects the top end mostly. Choosing a by-pass cap that enhances the top to your liking is what to look for.  Have fun trying. In the end listening to the mod is the only way to discern your preference, it is not cut and dry.

charles
SMA
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2011, 02:52 pm by rollo »

rpf

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2011, 02:25 pm »

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2011, 02:32 pm »
Because there's no answer.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2011, 02:54 pm »
Is there such as thing as caps compatibility of different brands?

Technically there is no compatibility problem. The general rule is the bypass:main cap size ratio should be 1:100.

Bypassing is a cost saving measure, for when you can't afford the main cap to be the same quality of the bypass. The problem is that only the high freqs are affected by the higher quality bypass cap and the lower freqs go through the lesser quality cap without any improvement from the bypass. So tone quality becomes disjointed, ime. I believe that it is better to buy the best full size cap you can afford and skip the bypass.

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2011, 03:26 pm »
Am I incorrect in saying that .22 uF is very high value for a bypass cap?  :scratch: I thought most Bypass caps are more on the order of .01 or like .022.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2011, 01:20 am »
Oh please dont...

Oh?  My thought is the OP wants to try to improve his/her amp (I'm assuming it's an amp but may, in fact, be another device and that's why I suggested he/she tell us what the circuit is, i.e. make, model, version, etc.) and has asked for advice in the matter.  Is that bad?

Why?

Because there's no answer.

While I agree there is no definitive answer readily available I do feel that suggestions (and they could only be just that) are available and even, possibly, good.

Perhaps the OP could pose this question over at www.diyaudio.com  Responses may be more passionate there, maybe, but I'm willing to wager a few suggestions may point the OP in at least a direction to try.  However I could be wrong.[/]

Quiet Earth

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:16 am »
Hello 50jess,

Just out of curiosity, what is the function of the primary cap that you are bypassing? Is it an output coupling cap for a preamp or DAC? Or is it an interstage coupling cap for an amplifier? Also, are you sure that you need as much as 2.2uF? I am just curious because if you don't need that much capacitance then you can try other caps without a cost/size penalty.

I agree with richidoo's excellent advice when he said :

I believe that it is better to buy the best full size cap you can afford and skip the bypass.

FWIW, I don't have any experience with the Mundorf caps, but I have found that the Audio Note caps don't really need a bypass. Especially their latest copper-mylar caps which are similar in construction to their silver mylar caps. (And, which take nearly as long to burn in just like their silver caps.)

In any event, if you are after a particular sound then it might be better to just stick with one brand using only one capacitor instead of trying to mix and match bypasses. Things could get busy or confusing. Just a thought . . .

50jess

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2011, 04:05 am »
Hello 50jess,

Just out of curiosity, what is the function of the primary cap that you are bypassing? Is it an output coupling cap for a preamp or DAC? Or is it an interstage coupling cap for an amplifier? Also, are you sure that you need as much as 2.2uF? I am just curious because if you don't need that much capacitance then you can try other caps without a cost/size penalty.

The caps upgrade is for a Cayin CD Player which has "output coupling caps, Wima types bypassed with smaller value Realcaps".  The way I understand it is the coupling caps are the 2.2uf and the bypass caps are the .22uf.  My plan is to installed Mundorf Supremes 2.2uf bypassed by Mundorf Silver in Oil .22uf.

I agree with richidoo's excellent advice when he said :

FWIW, I don't have any experience with the Mundorf caps, but I have found that the Audio Note caps don't really need a bypass. Especially their latest copper-mylar caps which are similar in construction to their silver mylar caps. (And, which take nearly as long to burn in just like their silver caps.)

In any event, if you are after a particular sound then it might be better to just stick with one brand using only one capacitor instead of trying to mix and match bypasses. Things could get busy or confusing. Just a thought . . .