Hillary Hahn Bach Violin Concertos

headshrinker2

Hillary Hahn Bach Violin Concertos
« on: 13 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm »
Greetings all,
I'm a big fan of Hillary Hahn.  And I have a longstanding relationship with the Bach violin concertos.  So, it was a no brainer to purchase her Bach offerings on HDTracks.  Something just doesn't sound right to me about the balance and tone of these recordings.  Perhaps it's me or my system. 

Any reactions?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: Hillary Hahn Bach Violin Concertos
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2011, 01:11 pm »
I have ordered Beethoven's Ninth Symphony performed by The Berlin Philharmonic from HD Tracks and the quality was terrible.  I emailed them and they were very nice and gave me a free download.  I then downloaded Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and unfortunately, again, the quality was not great.

I have also downloaded Steely Dan's Gaucho album and it is stellar!  It seems that it is hit or miss with HD Tracks' downloads.

Randy

headshrinker2

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2011, 05:44 pm »
Randy,
Some recordings I am very familiar with- then I could experiment and compare since I know what they are supposed to sound like.  If it's recording I don't know, I personally find it difficult to evaluate. 

Yes, Gaucho almost jumps out of the speakers.  Fantastic recording! But here again, I wonder if the CD would perform similarly.  Maybe it's the quality of the recording?

I have ordered Beethoven's Ninth Symphony performed by The Berlin Philharmonic from HD Tracks and the quality was terrible.  I emailed them and they were very nice and gave me a free download.  I then downloaded Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and unfortunately, again, the quality was not great.

I have also downloaded Steely Dan's Gaucho album and it is stellar!  It seems that it is hit or miss with HD Tracks' downloads.

Randy

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2011, 05:52 pm »
Pez had a recording of the Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" from HDTracks and it was terrible, also.  It sounded like someone tried to downmix a 5.1 mix to a 2.0 mix and didn't know what the hell they were doing.