Advice needed: amp for Grado RS2's?

Audioclyde

Advice needed: amp for Grado RS2's?
« on: 11 Sep 2011, 02:29 pm »
OK, let me start by admitting that I have almost no knowledge re headphone amps. Also, listening to my Grados makes up a small % of my listening time, so I want to keep the cost to less than $500.

I'm a SET amp fan (main amp is Mastersound 845) if that helps, and listen to a little of everything except classical, but lots of blues, jazz and acoustic, and females singers. Love to be transported to a smoky, small blues bar!

I've read the other threads here and on head-fi, and looked at the classifieds there.  My inclination is for tubes; likely one of the Schiit amps--but somewhat confused as the Schiit site indicates their ss amp really does well with Grados.

Used or new is fine, but would really like to hear opinions from those of you with more knowledge (about anyone compared to me) on what amp I should look for for my Grados. I've always just used the great headphone output of my Modwright LS100 (or it's predessors), but I'm having to sell the LS100.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Randy

mcgsxr

Re: Advice needed: amp for Grado RS2's?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2011, 03:08 pm »
For my heavily modded SR60i's, I used a Millett Hybrid Max amp.  Drop that into a search on Head Fi, and you will find tons of happy Grado users.

They typically hit the used market in the 200-300 range.

Excellent for Grado's.

I sold mine, and now use a use a Grant Fidelity DAC 09 and took a sound quality hit - but gained USB connectivity, and system simplification on the work from home desk.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2011, 11:57 pm by mcgsxr »

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2011, 01:59 pm »
Thanks mcgsxr.  I will keep a look out for these; it appears this was/is originally a kit--likely beyond my capabilities to put together.

After some research, I really like what I read about the Woo Audio WA6.  A real plus is it seems you can purchase an adapter and run it with 6SN7 tubes--I have a lot of really good NOS pairs of this tube.  It's more than I'd like to spend, so I'll be watching for a used one (one on Ebay currently).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Woo Audio W6, either with Grado RS2's or in general?

Thanks!

Randy

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:45 pm »
Woo products are widely respected, though I have never heard one.

The Millett is a kit, though Headroom sells one version of it, or used to.  Mine was custom built by a guy from Head-Fi that happened to live near me, and never made me regret the piece.  I went to a local Head-Fi gathering with my phones, and heard some other headamps, but never thought anything sounded better than my Millett.

Darn USB needs kicked it out of my system though!

Good luck with the Woo,

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2011, 03:00 pm »
The Schiit ASGARD would be a good choice and its only $250!!
From the Schiit site:
"If you haven’t heard Asgard and Grados, you’re missing out on one of the most amazing things in life."

I had an ASGARD for several months with AKG702's not RS2's but was great...upgraded to LCD2's and the Lyr.

Alex

Audioclyde

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2011, 04:08 pm »
Thanks again guys.  I did see that on the Asgard, and its likely where I'll end up--especially at that price.  Although I do like the thought of tubes  :)!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2011, 05:21 pm »
there is a review of all three Schitt Amps on headphonia i think, where the tube biased reviewer was pleasantly surprised that he liked the less expensive ASGARD over the Valhalla and the Lyr..

Its nice to get world class performance without breaking the bank!!

Alex

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2011, 10:59 pm »
Generally little dot stuff does a nice job with grado's..a good option when on budget for a tubes lover. You can also check their models.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2011, 02:34 pm »
Although I no longer can stand my RS-1s, while I liked them, my Grace Designs m902 served them well, and my guess is the Lyr will, too. But I had a terrible experience with Grado's battery driven amp when it first came out. Major hum, and to my eye, very poorly built. I returned it to get a V-Cans, which I tread for a Creek. Both were OK, but no where near the m902.

Dave

Audioclyde

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:43 pm »
I still haven't pulled the trigger, but I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Schiit Lyr or thr Little Dot MK IV SE. They are both around the same price point.  I think the LD MK IV SE is relatively new, but just wondered if anyone has had a chance to hear it?

Thanks,

Randy

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:00 pm »
I use a MP-301MK2 from Musical Paradise, its a $260 full size tube integrated 6.5 w a side but can be finicky with tubes and hum, mine is full of Mullard reissues and originals and works great with my modded  SR325's, in fact I use it in my main setup for both speakers and headphones.
 Here is a link:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2011, 06:10 pm »
I still haven't pulled the trigger, but I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Schiit Lyr or thr Little Dot MK IV SE. They are both around the same price point.  I think the LD MK IV SE is relatively new, but just wondered if anyone has had a chance to hear it?

A friend owns the LD MK IV paired with the RS2's, i can say its a good match. He also tried the woo audio Wa6, but it didn't meet his expectations.
The SE version is an upgraded LD MK IV.

You cant go wrong with it.

Audioclyde

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2011, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Noseyears!