Mac with Lion OSX and dbpoweramp - any issues?

Phil

Mac with Lion OSX and dbpoweramp - any issues?
« on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:06 pm »
As a long-time PC (windows) user who is thinking of switching to an iMac  :o, I'm wondering about the compatibility of dbpoweramp and the Lion OS. 

I'm assuming this requires booting into Windows.  Is that correct?

I'd like to know the good, bad and ugly part.  Seems that Apple has made it relatively simple to use PC programs on their computers. 

I'm playing with a borrowed mac mini at the moment and it recognized my external USB drives (read: music) without incident.  Also could read the drive connected to the bryston BDP-1.  This mac mini does not have bootcamp, so I can't try dbpoweramp itself. 

Thanks for any impressions or info.

Phil

JohnR

Re: Mac with Lion OSX and dbpoweramp - any issues?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2011, 12:20 am »
Seems that Apple has made it relatively simple to use PC programs on their computers. 

Sort of - you still have to run Windows. You can do it by either booting into it or running it in a VM (e.g. Fusion or Parallels)

So you would not really be switching from Windows at all.

There are a lot of players available for the Mac now.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2011, 06:10 pm »
Thanks, John.  I suppose most Apple folk are ripping to AIFF, etc. and playing via USB. 

I've gone the Bryston BDP-1 route (great digital transport with attached USB drives), via SPDIF to my  DAC, so no need for USB out.  I would certainly be interested in Apple-based ripping software for FLAC but don't know about this world.  Thus far, dbpoweramp has worked very well.

Lots of IT  folks I know gnash their teeth at the very mention of Apple.  But some of us old dogs need to learn new tricks. Will still use windows PCs at the office. 

Thanks for the info and response.

Phil

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:33 pm »
standard seem to be XLD and/or MAX. Both ripp al desired formats. After a bit of experimenting, you can find your way of  tagging and Albumart...

have fun,
Marius

Thanks, John.  I suppose most Apple folk are ripping to AIFF, etc. and playing via USB. 

I've gone the Bryston BDP-1 route (great digital transport with attached USB drives), via SPDIF to my  DAC, so no need for USB out.  I would certainly be interested in Apple-based ripping software for FLAC but don't know about this world.  Thus far, dbpoweramp has worked very well.

Lots of IT  folks I know gnash their teeth at the very mention of Apple.  But some of us old dogs need to learn new tricks. Will still use windows PCs at the office. 

Thanks for the info and response.

Phil

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2012, 11:05 pm »
standard seem to be XLD and/or MAX. Both ripp al desired formats. After a bit of experimenting, you can find your way of  tagging and Albumart...

have fun,
Marius

Old thread, I know; but I am looking at an iMac to replace my ancient Dell and was wondering the same thing.  I will be running VMware Fusion for my Windows environment, as I have a lot of old specialized software that may not be available for Macs.  Heck, some of it won't even run under Windows 7! (long live Windows XP -- power to the computationally deprived...)

But I don't see any reason not to just run dbPoweramp ripper under VMware in a Windows partition or virtual machine.

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2012, 11:58 pm »
But I don't see any reason not to just run dbPoweramp ripper under VMware in a Windows partition or virtual machine.

Not to discourage you, but if you're going to run both music and non-music software in a windows environment, why consider a Mac?

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2012, 12:50 am »
Not to discourage you, but if you're going to run both music and non-music software in a windows environment, why consider a Mac?

I got to spend some time with a Mac and think I will like it a lot for everyday use, office, web, website maintenance, etc.  I also don't like Windows 7 much, and think I will like Windows 8 even less.  But I have some old software that I run for my gem and jewelry business that is either long out of print or else not available for Mac.  So the ability to run VMWare or Parallels is a big plus for that.  Since I will have a Windows XP environment on the new machine anyway, I plan on staying with dbPoweramp, which I like a lot.  I use the multi-encoder to rip both to FLAC and to AAC for my wife's iPod at the same time.

I will migrate my Squeezebox server to the Mac OS side.  Likewise Lightroom and my gem photo catalog, and website support stuff. 

I also like the fact that I can continue using all the Windows versions right away, unless and until can get them migrated to Mac OS.

My wife is also considering a Macbook to replace her old Dell notebook, and it would be simpler if we have one common environment for our home and business stuff that we both use.

Finally, all the new Windows machines are going to come with either Win 7 or Win 8, and while I can back-install XP, if I have a problem, the vendors won't support it.  At least with the Mac, I get support for the Mac OS stuff, and VMWare at least still has tons of people running XP images on Macs, so there is support available there too.